Batting Lineup

snoman76

Reaction score
When playing straight ASA with no modifications, can a team bat their roster in pool play? I thought I read that somewhere but I may be imagining this.

Comp

Reaction score
Yes, but there are some strange substitution rules that also go along with it. If the coach just wants to bat the lineup it is no big deal, but if they start playing around with pinch runners etc it can get pretty confusing.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Comp, you probably remember the ASA Power Point presentation that covered all the ins and outs of this new rule from last year. Yes, it was very confusing!

Toward the end of the season, ASA cleaned up some of the interpretations. The new interpretations were published on their website under "Plays and Clarifications". They simplifies things a bit, treating the "extra" batters more like EP's (similar to the slow pitch "extra players" rule). They also changed how courtesy runners and subs would be handled.

But to directly answer the question...yes, as of last year ASA does now allow you to bat the entire roster in pool play only.

snoman76

Reaction score
Yes, but there are some strange substitution rules that also go along with it. If the coach just wants to bat the lineup it is no big deal, but if they start playing around with pinch runners etc it can get pretty confusing.

My understanding is that if you decide to bat the roster then you do not have the courtesy runner option. In straight ASA rules I believe the only players that can be a courtesy runner are subs.

Comp

Reaction score
My understanding is that if you decide to bat the roster then you do not have the courtesy runner option. In straight ASA rules I believe the only players that can be a courtesy runner are subs.

I had forgotten about the new clarification they came out with. Being as I had been working out of town off and on for 2 years I havent been officiating many games. When they originally adopted the batting the lineup option they also applied all the substitution rules to it and created a real nightmare. We spent almost an entire day coming up with situation that could arise that were not covered under the rules and would create problems based on the way they were trying to handle it. What was intended to be essentially a bat the lineup and a free substitution rule turned into a nightmare and that is why they came out with the clarification and new way they were handling it.

Yes you are correct, courtesy runners can only be players who have not yet participated in the game. The original version of the new bat the lineup rule allowed for "non starters" who were in fact batting to pinch run for players who were "starters". Without going into detail, it was a total cluster.