Batting order

Bucketrider

Reaction score
First inning of game and our scorekeeper informs me the other team hit out of order. We brought it to the umpires attention. After talking to the other coach he ruled the hitter was ok because they had the right name, but wrong number. As we don't know their team members by name, shouldn't they go off the numbers?

Also, same weekend, our hitter gets hit and is not awarded first base. Umpire said she didn't try to get out of the way. Didn't they change this rule two years ago?

mgardner

Reaction score
If ASA sanction, the umpire is corect in both instances.

Comp

Reaction score
As far as I know all softball rule sets have the same ruling, it is the players name, not number that is the final determining factor. I have never understood it myself as the players number is what everyone goes by but those are the rules.

As for the hit by pitch, no, ASA has never changed the rule and for that matter it is a myth that other rule sets no longer require an attempt to avoid being hit. NCAA, USSSA, NFHS etc a few years back changed the wording of the rule to something along the lines of no attempt to avoid was required if the ball was located entirely within the batters box. Many people including a lot of umpires seem to stop reading the rule at the point it says no attempt is required. If they would read the entire rest of the rule they would find it states if the ball is not entirely inside the batters box and the batter makes no attempt to avoid it is considered an attempt to purposely be hit by the pitch and the batter should not be awarded first base.