bunt question

VE_05

Reaction score
In 10u travel softball, is it illegal to square to bunt and pull back and swing. I've been told it is illegal but I've seen it done before. Thanks.

LADY_KNIGHTS

Reaction score
Not illegal in any sanctioning body I have ever played in. May be in your local rec. league...but not in travel.

FastBat

Reaction score
A slap or push bunt has never been illegal in any softball games I have seen, but I only have 31 years experience, I could be wrong, lol! Maybe in Rec, especially if they have that chalk line 10 feet from the boxes, baseline to baseline.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
I *think* that it might be illegal in Little League baseball or softball (not 100% sure since I don't work LL ball, but seem to remember another umpire telling me that). I have seen some leagues put this in as a special league rule. Otherwise legal in the major sanctioning bodies (ASA, high school, etc).

FastBat

Reaction score
A bunt, slap bunt, push bunt, etc. is legal even in LL 10u and older, t-ball and CP probably not. All LL's follow the official rules from Williamsport, but each individual local league may also adopt local rules based on the needs of their individual league.

Bullbuck

Reaction score
Such bunt-swings are allowed in Little League. Many local leagues ban them in regular season play, but they are permitted in all star / tournament play.

brownsfan

Reaction score
Such bunt-swings are allowed in Little League. Many local leagues ban them in regular season play, but they are permitted in all star / tournament play.

Then how do many of the local leagues expect them to defend it if they face a team from another league who allows that? District 3 allows it but District 2 in Ohio doesn't in state play. I think it hurts those who aren't allowed.

initfor51

Reaction score
We use to call it choke and poke when my DD played LL in Elyria. Very effective. They get a better eye on the ball and make contact better to put it in play. I'll call it quick hit now.

FastBat

Reaction score
Then how do many of the local leagues expect them to defend it if they face a team from another league who allows that? District 3 allows it but District 2 in Ohio doesn't in state play. I think it hurts those who aren't allowed.

Are you saying in District play during allstars they don't allow bunt-swings? I could be reading that wrong, maybe you are just talking a league in that district 2.

But, I agree, I think regular season play should look similar to the state tournament play.

Bullbuck

Reaction score
Are you saying in District play during allstars they don't allow bunt-swings? I could be reading that wrong, maybe you are just talking a league in that district 2.

But, I agree, I think regular season play should look similar to the state tournament play.

It is allowed for all teams during District play and beyond. Little League does not allow rule variations in the tournament, everyone must play by the offical rules. It may create an imbalance between "District 2" and "District 3" if they played by different local rules during the regular season, but generally the teams that advance to any degree in the Little League tournament have been playing travel ball all spring, too, so are used to this.

The idea behind the local rule banning this type of play, which our league uses, is that you might not always have the most skilled third baseman out there during the regular season and you want to avoid injury. The teams in our area generally rotate all the players into the infield during some point in the rec games. You have to be smart about it, but it keeps the girls interested in the game and hopefully makes them want to improve.

USAUmp1

Reaction score
I don't know of any league where that would be illegal.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
I'm thinking that some of the "Rec-oriented" organizations would rule against it for safety reasons.

- Batter shows bunt
- corners come running in
- batter blasts one right at their noggin' when they're 25 feet away...

Dougk30

Reaction score
It is illegal in the SSBL (Stark Summit Baseball League) Maybe that is where you heard it from

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
Our local rec league used to have that rule so the girls fielding could protect themselves as they were learning the game is the league play only....

Shane

Reaction score
Entering my third year of 10U with my DD, tournaments we attend allow slugging. My DD has played in some community leagues that identify slugging as prohibited. The danger in slugging comes from neglectful coaching, often times. I have seen way to many corner defenders almost coming running in to defend what appears to be a bunt, all too late they find out the batter is slugging. Coaches must emphasis the slow creep when bunt is shown. Just my two cents! : )

VE_05

Reaction score
We scrimmages loco mamacitas and he said that it was not legal in travel ball. I was 99% sure that you could but wanted to see if anyone knew if you could or couldn't. Thanks for the input. I also talked to an b ump on sunday and he said it is allowed.

FastBat

Reaction score
The danger in slugging comes from neglectful coaching, often times...Coaches must emphasis the slow creep when bunt is shown. Just my two cents! : )

Agree! It's the coaches responsibility to teach, but they are probably just teaching the basics, so it's tough.