Girls Softball Drills Catchers Catcher Drills

Converse Kid

Reaction score
What are some drills for catchers to increase speed and strength to throwing to second base?

wow

Reaction score
Use up down drills. This gets them in position to throw. Its simply a manner of collapsing on the ball then getting in the throwing position.

Use a weighed ball- Be careful as this should be worked into.

The star drill is effective at getting in front of wild pitches.

Do some you tube searches. There are some great examples there.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
Long Toss will help a lot, a weighted ball can help but a weighted ball should never be used for long distance throwing just for warm up. proper stretching will make a huge difference there are a lot of players that only give a half hearted effort when stretching and never receive the full benefits.
You can break the motion down in chunks. Work on foot placement/shift, ball transfer then throw and follow through.
My dd did her workouts and teaches her students in gear...
At the younger ages a lot of the time the gear is not fitted properly or the players do not practice in gear so, during game time they change their motions.

Have your dd Jump Rope to get the legs strong and other polymeric core and leg training including getting a squeeze ball to get the hands stronger and bands for the arms/shoulders.
Get a ladder and cones and do agility drills to get quick feet and lower body movement.Squat Thrust, Frog Jumps and wall sits also help develop the player.

Working on snap throws to 1st and third is a must there are a ton of outs at these bases that never happen because kids get conditioned to throw only on steals to second. Doing this also keeps the runners closer for more success when they do attempt.

ACE has some pretty good videos as well.

Last edited:

flarays

Reaction score
Check out these drills - we have always had great success with catchers.

youtube.com/stingraysgoldfp

ApogeeDemon

In the Penalty Box
Reaction score
Not a fan of the paddle drill. The girls are learning muscle memory to let go of the ball when getting to throwing position. 2) I like the tennis ball drills! 3) The throw downs are too slow, the catchers are standing too tall. They need to stay low coming out of crouch. Plus the throws to third have no footwork. They won't be able to make that throw with a righthand batter in the box. On throw downs, they should be wearing their masks, only one has on her mask. 3) On the bunts, again no masks on and they are standing too tall on throws. **It's good to see them working hard!

flarays

Reaction score
Not a fan of the paddle drill. The girls are learning muscle memory to let go of the ball when getting to throwing position. 2) I like the tennis ball drills! 3) The throw downs are too slow, the catchers are standing too tall. They need to stay low coming out of crouch. Plus the throws to third have no footwork. They won't be able to make that throw with a righthand batter in the box. On throw downs, they should be wearing their masks, only one has on her mask. 3) On the bunts, again no masks on and they are standing too tall on throws. **It's good to see them working hard!

The question was about drills - not to show studs. If you want those I can show you those - these are simply warm up drills from clinics/tryouts/practices.

The great thing about these sites is you get tons of great thoughts and advice. Paddle drill comes straight from the US National team drills. I will stick with their view. In fact they, and other colleges, even use this when turning training double plays. If that is teaching to let the ball go there are many, many other issues. Footwork to third - not the focus of this drill. But if you are teaching the step around or behind that is a bit old school. But if it works for your kids no problem. Simply throwing to get arms warmed up. No masks? During warm-ups? Not an issue. The only one that wore one had an injury. Staying low - agreed. That was the last part of the warm up. Kids were tired and sloppy.

ApogeeDemon

In the Penalty Box
Reaction score
The question was about drills - not to show studs. If you want those I can show you those - these are simply warm up drills from clinics/tryouts/practices.

The great thing about these sites is you get tons of great thoughts and advice. Paddle drill comes straight from the US National team drills. I will stick with their view. In fact they, and other colleges, even use this when turning training double plays. If that is teaching to let the ball go there are many, many other issues. Footwork to third - not the focus of this drill. But if you are teaching the step around or behind that is a bit old school. But if it works for your kids no problem. Simply throwing to get arms warmed up. No masks? During warm-ups? Not an issue. The only one that wore one had an injury. Staying low - agreed. That was the last part of the warm up. Kids were tired and sloppy.

You say footwork to third is old school? Here is Courtney Scott, former University of Louisville(Assistant Coach) showing that the step around or step through is what the catcher should be doing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uRZVV5Uv_G8 She is now the head coach of Maryland. Also, just because the National Team is doing the paddle, doesn't mean everyone should. 13 and 14 year olds are still developing all their skills. National Players make up less than 1% of the elite players in the country and have played all their lives. They should be doing different drills than 13/14 year olds. I like masks on to make it game like situations, even in warm-ups. These are just opinions. There are many ways to the top of the mountain. :)