Catcher setting up in base path

Eastside

Reaction score
Runner on 2nd, batter hits ball In the right center gap, runner attempting to score rounds 3rd, catcher is 10 feet up 3rd base line, runner deviates and slides wide but early and catcher is able to catch ball and swipe tag on the runners back. Doesn't this constitute "impeding a base runner legally running the bases"? There was a no call on the obstruction just a tag out. Catcher did not have the ball and set up in base path.

Eastside

Reaction score
Well I just read the post below and it appears to be the exact situation but the umpire didn't call it so I guess I got my answer

gcg3refs

Reaction score
If the runner had to go around the catcher (who does not have the ball) to avoid running into her, then it should have ruled obstruction as soon as the runner was tagged and called out

Comp

Reaction score
If the runner had to go around the catcher (who does not have the ball) to avoid running into her, then it should have ruled obstruction as soon as the runner was tagged and called out

It should have been called obstruction the instant the runner deviated from their path because the catcher was in their way without possession of the ball. Then, when they were tagged out the umpire should have called the play dead and made the award.