Catching and Catchers discussion Catcher throw at runner?

Got into a debate about whether or not you should teach your catcher to throw the ball at a runner going to first. This is for bunts or any ball hit close to the plate. I think you should just field the ball and get the out. My counterpart thinks you should throw at the runner who is probably not running on the outside part of the baseline so the umpire will call the runner out and kill the play. Just curious about what thoughts everybody has on the subject.

I cannot see any reason to teach a player to intentionally throw at a runner that is where they are supposed to be, in the running lane. As long as the runner is in the lane, the catcher has plenty of room to make the play, since they are fielding the ball in fair terrritory. When the runner is in fair territory that is different. Make the throw directly to first and if the runner is in the way, so be it.
There is always the risk that a throw will miss the runner, and not be visible enough to the fielder at 1st and the ball gets into the outfield. There are a lot of things that can go wring when trying to intentionally hit a player.

Know a girl that deliberately runs 2-3 feet inside the line on every bunt, as that is her only offensive weapon. Although, I would never condone throwing at a player, the thought could cross someone's mind in the heat of battle.

Sportsmanship first!

Ah but correct me if I am wrong, she's not out until the running lane starts, so you could be throwing the ball away if you hit her too early.........

DogsDad has it correct. Field the ball and throw to first. If the runner is in fair ground and she gets hit then she is out, if not well you get her at first anyway. I think the danger of throwing at the runner is that a number of things has to happen for you to get the out.

1. She has to actually be in fair territory.
2. Your catcher has to be pretty darn good to hit the moving target.
3. The umpire has to actually see the play, judge if the girl was in fair territory and that the catcher did not hit her intentionally.

Too many variables for me.

WoW, throw at the runner? No faith in the catcher or first baseman? Throwing at the runner seems a very lazy way to teach fielding a bunt for the catcher. The running lane isn't always marked on most fields and then it becomes an umpires judgement call. Let me see, Umpire feels you plunked "A Player" on purpose, the odds of getting the call in the defenses favor, not good. Nobody teaches hit the runner intentionally, work the first baseman for inside or out and if you hit the runner so be it! Good Luck with whatever you decide.

My DD has been taught to make the play and throw the ball where it should be, up to defense to be in right position to field and if a runner is in the way, they get popped. If she fields it right by circling around the ball so her back is to the pitcher when she picks it up and throws, runner won't come into play much. I would not make hitting the runner an intentional play for the reasons Ringer said especially #3.

In my opinion this is a weak strategy.
Lets assume that the runner is in fact in fair territory and the catcher decides to throw the ball at her (with or without her coaches acknowledgement) instead of just throwing the ball to whoever is covering 1st base. Catcher makes a great throw and drills the runner square in the back. Now all she did was bring the umpires judgement into the equation (which can vary greatly) instead of just allowing them to make a safe or out call on the throw and catch. Why even bring this possibility into the situation? My experience is that most umpires give alot of latitude to this rule and seldom call it. At the same time if they think that the catcher had a chance to make a clean throw to 1st base and purposely decided to throw at a player then a whole new judgement enters.
In the end I see no good coming out of this type of strategy. Let the players play and if the opposing team constantly has players running in fiar territory to 1st base then just make the umpires aware of it. Remember the players play the game us coaches should not be teaching them to do things outside of the rules or sportsmenship of the game.

The running lane does not start till 30 feet from home plate so the runner can be inside the line up to that point without consequence. How many fields have you ever seen have the running lane marked?? Very few if any, so the chance of getting this call to go your way is not likely. Just have them throw to the base and if it does hit the runner hope the ump makes the right call.

I agree with most here that I would never coach my catcher to intentionally hit the base runner. Make your play, if it happens to hit the runner, then so be it.
Just to spark some conversation, what about this scenario. Winning or tying run on 3rd with than 1 out. Batter bunts and is running to 1B obviously in fair territory. Might it make sense to have the catcher throw and hit the runner, get the out call. Then you have what I would assume to be a dead ball situation and the runner on third would have to remain there. Now you have 2 outs and the bunt isn't a threat anymore. What do you think of that strategy

MD-- Wiffle ball, we used to use lawn chairs as the basemen and strike zone. Hit the chair with the wiffle, you were out like a fielder. A strike was in the chair as well....

Of course ! Can you see our softball girls trying to learn the finer points of wiffle ball ? sorry to hijack the thread but throwing at a runner is so off the wall ......... it must be winter ! I know it's tempting sometimes but just not something that should even be considered . Make the play, throw directly to the base , then follow the rules. MD

i wouldn't; trust the umps in ohio to get it right
and if you miss your chasing ball down the rightfield line for a long time

I can not imagine throwing at a player. Her back is turned to you with no protection. If you throw high you could hit the girl in the back of the neck and paralyze her for life. Sounds like you should find a new assistant coach.

Here's a thought...catcher fields the ball the proper way, gets the out at first. 1st Base comes off the bag firing the ball to 2nd base (Behind the runner)...Runner is tagged out making too big of a turn. Exciting play!

My point...play the game the right way and execute plays that add a lot of fun and excitement for the girls. Just my opinion!

I think coaches sometimes can really screw up what they are actually trying to teach with poor choice of words. Example, girl lays down beautiful bunt, catcher fields it as taught, and right before her eyes is runner in fair territory, first baseman not providing a good throwing lane so catcher throws ball over runners head deep into RF. Coach then instructs catcher to throw at runner :) Not exactly what coach means though. I don't know of any coach that would purposely teach a catcher to throw at runners.

I teach our Ladies to make plays.

Sometimes, at the younger ages what you find is some of the players do not want to attempt a play if they feel they may hit the runner.
And, like Shockwave stated coaches sometimes use poor choices in words that leads the player to think the coach is instructing them to hit an opposing player.

Our ladies practice making plays. If the ladies give their best to execute and it happens to hit a runner it is part of the game.
The runner may be called out or safe but; it is still part of the game.

When a batter stepping into the box or a runner attempting a steal when the ball is in motion the risk of it hitting a player is there but; a player should never be coached to throw at a player at any time.
My feeling is this, a coach that provides this type of instruction does so; because they do not understand how to tell their players to defend any other way or they lack the character to instruct the players in a manner that will benefit them later in their playing career and they put much more at risk other than the players they coach.

Thanks for everyone's opinions. I know it sounds odd, but it is a true debate I had to get into. His biggest arguement was the scenario bergy1331 discussed with a runner in scoring position. I think the idea is bad even in that situation. My team should be good enough to look a runner back, get the out at first than look to home. If the other team scores because we can not execute, good for them. We have to work harder. I am a firm believer that there is a right way and a wrong way to play the game. I wanted to check to see if I was somehow in the minority opinion on this and needed to reconsider my thoughts.

This happened in our game a few years back........batter bunts in front of the plate, catcher fields the ball and throws to first and the ball sails over the runner's head and into right field. I ask the umpire if the runner was in fair territory and he said yes but "since the ball did not hit her then it was not interference, it was just a bad throw."

So given this explanation, can you see why some coaches would at least put the idea in their catcher's head.

BTW, I do not teach this, but you can see how someone might.