Catching and Catchers discussion Catcher throw downs

OK all you algebra/calculus nuts - here's a math problem...

I'm planning on working with some catchers doing throwdowns indoors this winter, but I do not have a "home to 2nd" sized room! My plan was to put up a tarp, which would be about 30' - 40' away from the catcher, with a target (box) on it. The problem to calculate would be: "How high should the target be at a given distance to simulate an accurate throw to 2nd base? Taking into consideration the effect of gravity, wind resistance, etc., about pitcher's head high? If they were throwing with an imaginary 2nd base bag in mind, what would be a formula that would put me "in the ballpark"? (no pun intended!!)

Any suggestions appreciated - of course a FREE domed area would be helpful too!! :D

It almost completely relies on the velocity of the throw. Throwing it through the pitcher's head it what we coach. That way the pitcher can cut the throw if if ever necessary... ;)

Take the catcher(s) out to the field and chart the path of the ball to 30 or 40'. You might want to jug the throw and if the catchers throw strengthen during the winter - drop the target a little. Just a suggestion.

Johnnies said:
Take the catcher(s) out to the field and chart the path of the ball to 30 or 40'. ?You might want to jug the throw and if the catchers throw strengthen during the winter - drop the target a little. ?Just a suggestion.

Johnnies, that's exactly how I suggest coaches do it for throwing indoors here in New Enlgand all winter. A lot has to do with how tall the catcher is, is she 10U or 16U or somewhere in between.

Take the average of 6 or 8 throws and set the indoor height target accordingly.

We wanted to work a lot on quick transfers, but I want them throwing at a specific target. These are older kids, fairly strong, so the throws won't be looping too much.

Johnnies - do you have a method for charting? I'm assuming this is measuring the height of the ball path as it passes the pitching rubber?? Also, what do you mean by "jug the throw"? Sorry for being a little dense!!

Sammy said:
Johnnies - do you have a method for charting? I'm assuming this is measuring the height of the ball path as it passes the pitching rubber?? Also, what do you mean by "jug the throw"? Sorry for being a little dense!!

I would use something with a known height at the pitcher's plate, watch from the side, and "chart" the height of a good throw.

"Jug the throw" would be using a radar gun. (I'm assuming, anyway)

cshilt, that's what I was thinking about - using a measuring reference. I even thought about using video, because I'm often accused of overkill!

Actually, I do have a radar gun. I was planning on getting readings from the indoor throws, but getting a reading outdoors would be a plus - before the snow flies!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Sammy said:
cshilt, that's what I was thinking about - using a measuring reference. I even thought about using video, because I'm often accused of overkill!

Actually, I do have a radar gun. I was planning on getting readings from the indoor throws, but getting a reading outdoors would be a plus - before the snow flies!

Thanks everyone for the help.

Sammy, how old is this catcher of yours????

Sammy said:

Sammy,

First let me know if your daughters throws to 2nd have ever been timed in a game?

More important then her velocity is how efficeint her mechanics are and how quickly she gets the ball in the air. By 14 many girls are nearing the top of their velocity and they will get better at throwing down to 2nd only by getting the ball in the air faster.

A little known fact is that for every 1/10th of a second you reduce the amount of time it takes to get the ball in the air, you have actually given yourself the equivilent of a 5MPH increase in velocity.

I have an article on my website that is linked below that discusses how I evaluate a catchers release. While the numbers are related to baseball I use the same technique for the girls.

To summarize the article

1. Find the maximum velocity she can throw the ball out of a crop hop. (average of 3 throws)

2. Find the maximum velocity she can throw the ball out of a her runners on crouch. (average of 3 throws)

3. The difference we want is no more then 3%. If more the 3% then she has techniques that are "eating" velocity unneccessarily.

THEN

4. Evaluate how long it takes to get the ball in the air using the method described in the article I have referenced.

Use that method to chart her improvement over the winter as she works to become more efficient in getting the ball in the air.

http://www.catchingcamp.com/index.php?page=timing

Feel free to send me any questions you may have through the forum or my email.

Many girls I work with have strong arms, but they employ throwing mechanics that almost look like a crow hop to make the throw to 2nd. If they simplify their footwork and throwing motion and get the ball in the air faster the net result can be a much faster overall throw to 2nd.

Actually this isn't my DD I'm working with - she's now a college pitcher. First I'll be working with a few boys (baseball) and later the girls. However, I'm assuming the basic technique is the same?

catchingcoach, your technique about timing the release is very interesting. That is exactly one of the things I was planning on working hard at with these kids. What about using RVP to time the release? Since video is 30 frames per second in RVP, I could step through and count the frames from when the ball hits the mitt up to when the ball just leaves their hand at release.

The part about getting a good clock speed on their throws is a goal IF we get a decent day outside soon. I don't like to get too hung up on the radar speed, but just use it as a reference for improvement. I look at the radar gun and video as nice tools to take the guesswork out of comparison measurements.

I'm a video nut (picture = 1,000 words), so if you have any links to videos/pix showing proper catcher throwing mechanics (footwork, technique, etc.) that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help! By the way - very impressive website! I've yet to browse everything there, so my answers may be there already...

Sammy said:
Actually this isn't my DD I'm working with - she's now a college pitcher. First I'll be working with a few boys (baseball) and later the girls. However, I'm assuming the basic technique is the same?

catchingcoach, your technique about timing the release is very interesting. That is exactly one of the things I was planning on working hard at with these kids. What about using RVP to time the release? Since video is 30 frames per second in RVP, I could step through and count the frames from when the ball hits the mitt up to when the ball just leaves their hand at release.

The part about getting a good clock speed on their throws is a goal IF we get a decent day outside soon. I don't like to get too hung up on the radar speed, but just use it as a reference for improvement. I look at the radar gun and video as nice tools to take the guesswork out of comparison measurements.

I'm a video nut (picture = 1,000 words), so if you have any links to videos/pix showing proper catcher throwing mechanics (footwork, technique, etc.) that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for your help! By the way - very impressive website! I've yet to browse everything there, so my answers may be there already...

Sammy,

The video can work as well. For me I always have a stopwatch with me.
I am working this fall/winter pulling clips off of my training DVD to have a library to share during discussions like this. Soon as I have that done I will put some on my website.

catchingcoach said:
I am working this fall/winter pulling clips off of my training DVD to have a library to share during discussions like this. Soon as I have that done I will put some on my website.

Don't give away the store, coach. ?;)

Actually, I think that sharing some of the clips from your instuctional video would be a great idea.

Folks, if you haven't seen Coach Weavers video you should make a point to do so, especially if you coach catchers.

It isn't a bad idea if you coach pitchers too. Understanding how a good catcher will make a pitcher all that much better is a good thing.