Catching and Catchers discussion Catcher's gear suggestions?

Looking for feedback regarding catching equipment. DD is in last year of 10u. Want to get good stuff without breaking the bank. What brands are good? Any tips on sizing? Any resources to get the best deals? Are there any sporting goods stores (in the NE Ohio area) that stock a variety of brands? I'd like to try some of these brands on before we buy.

Make sure the tops of her knees are covered not only when standing, but when crouching too!

Also get a lightweight hockey style mask Rawlings is pretty light and dont let a coach teach her to throw it off! If a goalie can find a 110 mile an hour 3 inch black puck, a catcher can see an optic yellow ball wearing it! She also won't break it from throwing it off or trip over it!

Dd is 01 bday used Mizuno for last 2yrs and it is great! Agree with ^^^ leave the mask on!

DD uses Mizuno G3 samurai. She loves it. Make sure the shin guards are triple hinged whatever you buy. Was told Wilson is good except the knee guards, wear out to fast. Mizuno has served us very well. Go online you'll find better deals.

My '00 DD also uses the Mizuno Samurai. She had the youth size (even though they only made it for boys at the time) for three years and it served her well. Very durable, very adjustable to grow with her, and I think pretty accurate in sizing. It says it is for 9-12 year olds and that is pretty much exactly what she wore it for. She was just starting to outgrow it this summer because she decided to start getting tall. There is still enough life left in it that my younger '03 DD will be able to use it for awhile.

In July we bought the older DD a new set of the Mizuno Samurai Women's Intermediate and it cost us $225 (free shipping) for the entire set. I actually found that when I bought it off Amazon piece by piece (at the time) it was cheaper than any other place I found it (once you included shipping charges) and I researched tons of places! There weren't any on e-bay in the color we wanted - but it is always good to check there as well. Unfortunately, I do not think there is a store that has it to try it on - at least not near where I live (in northeast Ohio).

I admit that when it came in I was a little nervous because it looks huge - but it is also very adjustable - including an interchangeable back strap for the chest pad. They say it will fit approximately 12-15 year olds and it seems to be pretty accurate. It is also very lightweight, but yet durable and protective - the chest pads have the low-rebound technology. The shin guards are grippy so they don't slide around. Just many good features. We love it! I was also a little hesitant that the Women's did not triple knee like the youth boy's did - but it hasn't been a problem and coverage is great. Shoot....I sound like I could be a salesman for the stuff! lol Just as a reference, my DD is now around 5'2" (I think) and about 115#

16u DD switched to Schutt Scorpian chest protector last year (from Mizuno) and likes it a lot better. They are made for women. Different back makes it fit better. Advise not to go big so that when she squats her legs don't hit the chest protector.

The best catchers gear for fastpitch IMO is the Easton Synergy/Stealth gear, but it might be out of your price range so check out the Easton Natural series.

Len

My DD also uses Mizuno Samurai. She has the G3 shin guards and the G2 chest protector. A quick not about Mizuno customer service. She had the G2 shin guards, which use clips to secure the shin guards, the straps were junk and were always coming off of the shin guard. I called Mizuno, and thy replaced her G2 with G3, no questions asked. Service like that will make me a Mizuno customer for life!

My daughter also uses mizuno samurai (intermediate) that is actually made for females. I have found that this seems to fit better and it is also durable. Starting her third season of catching. Check at softballrampage.com (Columbus, OH), I think we paid around $180 for the entire set. I also believe that the ship for free on orders over $99 (??)