Girls Softball Drills Catchers catchers mitt ~ advice

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
My DD is 12. The first mitt we purchased was a youth and easy to break in, it is now too flimsy and possibly too small for the 12u ball. Can anyone offer advice in purchasing a mitt? Should it be 33 or 32.5, youth or adult, closed or open web .. does cost dictate quality? Is it good to use sprays to break it in or just keep catching balls with it?

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
Mine loved Louisville slugger until she stopped playing, only needed two from 12-18's.... Throw and break it in, oh yeah don't use your front right tire I hear..........lmao

Lenski65

Reaction score
Break in a glove or mitt by using it and preserve the leather by cleaning it with mild soap and water and using pure lanolin. You normally get what you pay for when it comes to gloves and mitts. The size of the mitt depends on which mitt feels the most comfortable and fits her correctly. Open or closed web is also a matter of preference.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My DD is 12. The first mitt we purchased was a youth and easy to break in, it is now too flimsy and possibly too small for the 12u ball. Can anyone offer advice in purchasing a mitt? Should it be 33 or 32.5, youth or adult, closed or open web .. does cost dictate quality? Is it good to use sprays to break it in or just keep catching balls with it?

Depending on the manufacturer, you will probably find that they make an open web design and the closed web in both a 33" and 34" mitt in adult sizes. Your DD will need either one for a 12" ball. Closed or open web design is a personal preference so your DD should decide that but usually the 34" has a little bit deeper pocket which your DD may or may not like. Some feel that the deeper pocket makes it a bit harder for the catcher to get the ball out quick where others like it since they feel, right or wrong, that they have fewer dropped balls. You will also find that catcher's mitts will vary in hand size from one manufacturer to the other. Therefore, I would highly recommend trying them on before purchase or, if buying via the internet, buying from a reputable dealer/manufacturer with a good return policy.

Yes, cost will usually dictate quality and longevity. Not always but usually. Quality mitts run from $150 to $300+. IME, below this price range, most people would be lucky to get more than a year out of a catcher's mitt with the number of games and practices at the TB level before the padding breaks down. The $150-$200 price range mitts will usually last 2 or so years of heavy use at the TB level before the padding breaks down whereas the $300+ may last 4 years or more with proper break in and maintenance. Of course, I'm speaking in generalities here and there are always exceptions to any rule. Especially generalizations.

The best value for the money that I've found is a mitt made by Vinci. They run around $220 and have a great return policy as well as fantastic customer service. The quality of these mitts are every bit the same as you would see in one that costs $300+ and the padding is probably a bit better. Thus, the lifespan will be the same or a bit better than the higher priced mitts. The other nice thing about the Vinci is that they have several models so if your DD has a hand on the smaller side, they have a mitt that will comfortably fit her without being oversized and flopping around as well as coming in the 33"-34" sizes. They also send you a sort of break-in kit with the mitt which includes instructions on how to break it in properly, a small jar of conditioner to break it in with, and a large, strong rubber band to help form the pocket with a ball. If you want a more extensive break in kit, they are available for order at a nominal fee from their site.

Just as an aside, they will take up to 3 months of hard work to break in properly since they are so well constructed. I found this out from personal experience.

Here's a link to their website http://www.vincipro.com Call their Customer service number and they will help you pick the right size mitt for your DD. Hope this helps and Good Luck!

Last edited: