Catching and Catchers discussion Catchers Mitt Recommendation

My DD (12U) has shown interest in catching. She caught in roughly 10 games this past season and did rather well for not having any previous experience. I am looking for catchers mitts that will serve the purpose but not break the bank until we are certain she wants to pursue the position. She will be receiving off-season instruction. What are the best lower priced mitts?

We use the Wilson A0725FPCM 32 3/4 Inch Fastpitch Softball Catcher's Mitt. I purchased mine from Anaconda Sports for $49.90
http://www.anacondasports.com/webap...Id=-1&sportId=493 21&productId=109016

Very pleased with it.

Since she is relatively knew at this position, you might try a place like Play it again sports. Sometimes you can find some better quality used equipment at good prices. Someone on this board, might also be willing to part with something a DD no longer uses.

I would stay away from the Champro CPX-3800. We got one for around $45 & it only lasted 2 months even though we followed the glove care directions to the letter. We upgraded to a Nokona mitt. It is an awesome glove, but they run around $150. Of course dd is now focusing on her pitching, so I get the mitt :p

Dogsdad, not trying to be smart but "Play It Again Sports" around Columbus are just as expensive on there new items, and used items are very limited at their stores. Hits2, I'd try the catalog route "Direct Sports" out of Virginia and "Western Athletic Supply" out of California have really good deals! :)

Bink
Of course they are just as expensive on new items, and if you need an item right now they will only be of help if it is in stock on used. If you establish a relationship with them, they can and will help you out. I have 2 DD that have done some catching, and we have used a fielders glove, an inexpensive Rawlings, a more expensive Mizuno, a more expensive Easton. Finally bit the bullet and bought Nokona, and will not go back. Play it again gave us better deals on Nokona then any one else. Just our experience.

My catchers worked out with Jenny Topping a few weeks ago. She had the smallest mitt I have ever seen. It was made by "Diamond". Not sure the price, but my girls loved it.

Diamond has a couple of new mitts worth looking into. The gloves (finger stalls) are smaller and fitted to a girls hand better.

My dd is a pitcher I bought a rawlings took forever to break in recommend mizuno game ready check ebay. 8)

My HS and summer teams have had good luck with the Easton mitts and they won't break the bank either.

My daughter really likes her Louisville Slugger fastpitch mit. Bought it at Galyans (Dick's) a few years ago for around $65. It took a while to get it loosened up - lots of pitch and catch in the backyard.

How funny! I got sensored! (thingy's) I wasn't trying to be vulgar :) I was trying to say the new name of the store that used to be called Galyans! It is D---'s! See if I can get by with that ;)

brelmo1227 said:
How funny! I got sensored! (thingy's) I wasn't trying to be vulgar :) I was trying to say the new name of the store that used to be called Galyans! It is D---'s! See if I can get by with that ;)
Please report to the Moderator's office to receive your official reprimand. This violation has been entered into your permanent record. ;D

That one was in place before I got here....

Both of our catchers (12U) are using using Mizuno mitts and have had no problems to date. I Bought a Wilson for my DD and had a tough time breaking it in. Got her the Muzuno and she loves it. :)

I have to agree with Easton mitts, both my dd's are catchers and both use Eastons. They break in easily and hold up well to the constant pounding (with my oldest, it gets a huge pounding with all the games she plays). I am NOT a Mizuno fan, my son had one that split and they would not stand by their product...will never purchase their merch. again.

DogsDad said:
Didn't know Bear had a sense of humor. That is a joke, right?
large-smiley-059.gif

Akadema makes a couple terrific catchers mitts. easy to break in, large scoop pocket, frost has been using them for awhile now. Contact Bill at house of pitching, half price from catalog pricing