Catching and Catchers discussion catchers mitt

what type of padding can i use to help my dd hand? we have tried padded batting gloves they help for a couple of games and thats it! we play travel and middle school sb we have been buying new gloves about every year...

I'm guessing here that it may be a issue with the quality of the glove. Go top shelf and get a pro or collegiate level mitt like a Nokona. I got my DD's on Ebay for over $100.00 less than what you would pay in the store and it will pretty much last for life. The only drawback is they take a long time to break in. If that is not an option you want to consider then contact Bretman on this site as gloves are his business he may be able to help you with what you already have and his fees are extremely reasonable.

My dd actually uses a padded, fingerless weight lifting glove inside of her catching mitt. Works great

About the mitt:
DD has two Nokona gloves, both were bought when she was in high school. She's a junior in college now, and thanks to Bretman - who recently completely rebuilt both of them - they are like brand new gloves! The Nokonas are known for being lightweight, something DD, as a pitcher, really likes. But they always were thin in the palm area. If you think about it, pitchers catch a TON of balls thrown back by the catcher. Bretman put a built-in pad in the palm of both of her gloves, and it completely eliminated the sting. They were "floppy" before, and Bret reshaped them like they were when new. As a matter of fact, she didn't even have to break them in again - they were game ready! The Nokona gloves/mitts are a great investment, and will last a lifetime.

Not knowing what brand/quality mitt you have, it's tough to tell what the problem is. But from experience, if Bretman can't fix it, or give you a good recommendation, it's probably not able to be fixed.

About the pain:
My wife & I both used to catch DD at lessons until she was about 16. Both our hands (mainly thumb area) ached after a session catching her. We asked our doctor about it, and he custom made what's called a "Thermoplast splint" that slipped over our hand/thumb, and fit inside the catcher's mitt. Doctor said it's NOT the impact so much, but rather the bending back of the thumb that causes long-term pain/discomfort. We found out that (at the time) OSU's catchers used the same device inside their catcher's mitt. The bonus for us was that it was covered under our medical insurance.
:)

As my daughter has gotten older and stronger, I have been using a "Palmguard Xtra Protective Inner Glove". It has extra padding for the first 2 fingers and thumb. It helps some, but the most important thing is to start with a high quality catcher's mitt.

A weight lifter glove is one I've heard works well. Same with some of the Palm Guard products. Rawlings makes an adhesive-backed gel pad that you apply to the inner palm lining of the glove. Nokona makes a leather pad, with sleeves for your first two fingers, that you slip on your hand before sliding it into the glove. I believe that some companies are offering a thumb splint/sleeve similar to what Sammy described above, made especially for catchers.

Most of these products can probably be found with a little search effort on the internet.

One fellow I've dealt with, The Sports Doctor, sells a leather covered pad with adhesive backing that can be custom cut and fit to put the protection right where you want it. His website can be found here: http://www.thesportsdoctor.com/GD.html (Click on the "Shock Pad" link)

"Back in the day", I can remember many catchers cutting a thick sponge to fit their hand and using that for extra padding.

And, as mentioned above, I do offer a service of installing extra padding in a glove. I do this by unlacing the glove to get to the inside, then custom fit the new padding and lace it up inside the glove, between the palm lining and outer shell. The feedback I've gotten from people that have had this done has been quite positive- especially for catchers who are tired of having their hand pounded!

I have never met bretman however based on the people who have used his service that I do know it sounds as if he is first rate and if he recommends something I would give it a try.

Price is soon forgotten after service is required after the sale and everyone sings his praises so he must be real good!

However I have heard his ability as an umpire has been called into question however I know those people also and they even question if the Pope is Catholic...so take it from there.

What I would really like to do is have a few sessions with you, Hitter, before my men's fastpitch league starts play next week! :D

C'mon Bret! Hitter's good, but he's not a miracle worker!!

:D :lmao: