Catching and Catchers discussion Catching 2B throw-down footwork; jump/ pivot, or step through?

Reaction score
Which do you believe to be the most effective technique to get the ball to 2B?
1. A "jump-ish" move where both feet come off the ground, the right foot lands behind, and the left foot lands towards 2B & throw. Body stays right where it is, not moving across home plate towards 2B
2. Lead with the right foot planting between catcher and home plate (turned towards 1B), then step through with left foot & throw. Body moves towards 2B.
3. Other.
Which method do you believe is the best and why?

My own personal opinion is that if the catcher must be on her feet to make the throw, that method #2 above gets more momentum into the throw and also allows the catcher time for all of the upper body motions to be completed first.

LynkSpyder

Reaction score
In my opinion, the "Jab Step" is the most efficient. The instructor my kids work with defines it as a "tap tap". Catcher's motion starts up and forward. The right foot replaces the left foot, and the left foot travels directly towards the target. However, both feet don't land at the same time. Back foot lands slightly before the front foot as the catcher will drive off the back leg. Additionally, this ensures that the body isn't "torquing" in one spot, which would otherwise have an impact on the throwing arm. As they are throwing, all weight is transferred to the front side and a followup causes the rear leg to swing around the body, much like a baseball pitcher.

wow

Reaction score
If you time both you will see which one is faster. I think a kids strengths are in different places (upper/lower body). At 16U and above you see a ton throwing from their knees.

Reaction score
I made my 12u catcher with a slightly weaker arm throw from a knee, it eliminated the lost time with the footwork having her push off similar to a track start, hope this helps

MD 20/20

Reaction score
I like option 1, which I call Remove-replace, removing the left foot and replacing with the right. If you are doing it correctly, I believe it gets your bottom half most-involved with the throw. Transferring ball out of glove into hand during the remove-replace and really driving your body toward 2nd is the way I like to see it done. That being said, I'm with wow. Why change to a different way if their way is faster?

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
I like option 1, which I call Remove-replace, removing the left foot and replacing with the right. If you are doing it correctly, I believe it gets your bottom half most-involved with the throw. Transferring ball out of glove into hand during the remove-replace and really driving your body toward 2nd is the way I like to see it done. That being said, I'm with wow. Why change to a different way if their way is faster?

Matt
I have taken girls aside at tryouts and had them do it this way and everyone of them increased there pop time. So I'm with you. I believe this is the way Bill Hileman teaches at the Maddogs catching lesson.