Catching and Catchers discussion Catching equipment question...

Looking to buy my daughter new, better fitting gear. I know how to measure the leg guard size but I have no idea how to measure the chest protector size.
I found some Schutt stuff online and would like to order it for Christmas. My daughter is 10 and on the runt size. :)

Thanks in advance for the help and advice!

H&G

You are going to have to hit a couple stores and try stuff on. IMO you need to get the chest protector snugg, so it doesnt get in the way. You want it to flow with the player.

You will need to measure vertically from the top of your sternum ( berast plate) down to your waist line.

My daughter is a small sized catcher. I genrally went to sporting good stores tried on equipment then got the item number and went online and ordered that way. Its difficult to order equipment when they cannot try it on for the fit. The leg guards can be measured very easily. The helmet could be a problem as well as the chest protector. She has had the same make of helmet now for 5 years. It works, I chose the color based on High school colors and it works. The other thing is - we tended not to order all the same equipment form the same MFG. When we found something she liked and fit - we ordered that one is a specific color. It might not be a 100% match but - she is comfortable and it works.

Just some thoughts :cap:
T

Thank you all for the advice.

I would love nothing more than to take her to a sporting goods store and have her try it on...the problem is that I can't find one in the Cincinnati area that carries a variety of fastpitch catchers gear. If anybody knows of a place in southwest Ohio, please let me know and I'll check it out! thanks!!

You might want to try Kattus Sporting Goods in Sharonville. Call them first and see if they have some youth equipment left. Good luck!

Ohiosoftballdad is correct on how to measure for the chest protector. Too many young catchers out there have oversized chest protectors and helmets and that can be very dangerous. Typically, measure from the middle of the knee cap down to the top of the foot for the knee guards. Youth sized head gear is adjustable and will be fine.

You may want to try Koch's sporting goods in Cincinnati.They have a good selection.
I ordered my dd from Softball .com (I called them) and they was very helpful.
All of her stuff fit perfect.
The helment I got from Koch's

Thank you all for the advice.

I would love nothing more than to take her to a sporting goods store and have her try it on...the problem is that I can't find one in the Cincinnati area that carries a variety of fastpitch catchers gear. If anybody knows of a place in southwest Ohio, please let me know and I'll check it out! thanks!!

You might definitely want to have her try on some gear before you buy. My dd did not like the feel of the Mizuno and Schutt gear. She preferred All-Star and Easton and decided on Easton Synergy Fastpitch gear.

When my dd was 9 (4 years ago) I bought her a Diamond ix3 youth set. It ran me about $150 and included everything. It was a very good youth set and it lasted her 3 years before she grew out of it. The gear was still in good shape and I gave it to another team during the MS season last year.

The one thing I steered clear from was any gear that used velcro as a fastener. They always seemed to look like a mess, and I have seen some fairly new gear tearing where the velcro was stitched on.

Len

My daughter is in high school and still wearing youth sized gear. You want a snug fit even if it means staying in the youth sizes.

You might want to try Kattus Sporting Goods in Sharonville. Call them first and see if they have some youth equipment left. Good luck!

Ohiosoftballdad is correct on how to measure for the chest protector. Too many young catchers out there have oversized chest protectors and helmets and that can be very dangerous. Typically, measure from the middle of the knee cap down to the top of the foot for the knee guards. Youth sized head gear is adjustable and will be fine.

Kattus is a great place to go try them on. Where I bought my gear and still buy NCAA softballs from them for my tournaments. Very helpful people.

Glad to see the coaches and people talking snug fitting equipment. I can't tell you how many times I've seen girls walk out on the field in loose equipment meant to protect them and it doesn't. Having a floppy chest protector is uncalled for actually.

Actually you do not want a snug fitting chest protector. You want one with about 2-4 inches between the body and the pad. On a ball in the dirt that bounces and hits the chest protector, you need this space to help deaden the ball . A snug chest protector will allow the ball to bounce hard off the body and get away from the catcher.

Thanks for all the help! I have found what I was looking for and I could not have done it without your advice and suggestions!

Coach Dennis, thanks for the email. Your advice was spot on.

Now...does anybody know any good, reasonably priced airbrush artist in the Cincinnati area? :D

Actually you do not want a snug fitting chest protector. You want one with about 2-4 inches between the body and the pad. On a ball in the dirt that bounces and hits the chest protector, you need this space to help deaden the ball . A snug chest protector will allow the ball to bounce hard off the body and get away from the catcher.

Not if you're wearing a good chest protector. Once a catcher goes into their squat, even a snug chest protector has a slight gap though.

Len