Changing organizations in the middle of the season

I'd like to get everyone's thoughts on something like this. My DD is just not happy or having fun on her current team. Every weekend there is some new drama or BS that arises between the girls, coaching staff, parents, and it pulls everyone in whether they are a part of it or not. There is another opportunity with another organization that had arisen (an injury) and my DD fits what they are looking for perfectly.

My biggest concern is that she might want to bail like this any time things start going south with whatever team she is playing for. I think a little adversity is good for character building but I hate seeing her unhappy and miserable all the time.

She is an 11yo player in her second year of travel ball.

Opinions? Thoughts?

I agree... Let's teach them commitment and how to deal with adversity.

Tough call not knowing your exact situation .... my opinion is

Unless your departure will cause the current team to end it's season and you do not mind losing the investment you have already made, I say do what you have to do. Tournament season means your daughter should be having fun after working 9 months during the off season.

I believe in committment, but, if your daughter is being directly affected by "politics" or other factors out of your/her control ..... get out of Dodge!

Be aware that the same issues can also be a factor on the other side of the fence.

Good Luck!

The PC answer is "stay" but there are allot of variables. If you feel there is a "perfect" situation some where else it will make putting up wit hthe BS even harder. I say talk with the coach and maybe everyone will agree it is best for all to part ways now.

It is a game and games are supposed to be fun!

JMO

I always told my kids, that once they committed to a team we were committed through the end of the season. Couple of times I was fed up enough that I ended up going to the head of the organization and voicing my concerns, sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes things worse. Generally at 11U/12U the girls are less the problem than the parents - the girls mainly reflect the parents' line of thought.

I always told my kids, that once they committed to a team we were committed through the end of the season. Couple of times I was fed up enough that I ended up going to the head of the organization and voicing my concerns, sometimes it helps, sometimes it makes things worse. Generally at 11U/12U the girls are less the problem than the parents - the girls mainly reflect the parents' line of thought.

Amen to this statement right here.

jmho, I say stay. Even in the "perfect" situation there will be some drama and some imperfect situations. My dd is happy with her current team, but, I just finished a conversation with her about a situation that went on around her, about her, and she was hurt. I gave her my advice and hopefully that will be enough.

We did leave an org., that she was in the situation your dd is right now, at the end of the season. Waiting made her a better ball player and she learned a few things about her own character. jmho

If the situation is not healthy, I say leave. I do not promote quiting just because, but I likewise do not promote staying out of some twisted sense of commitment.

This whole never quit mentality has gotten really twisted over the years. Sure we never want our kids to give-in or give-up just because things get hard, but how many of us would stay at our job if day after day it just $ucked and we had other options?!

If you are powerless to change the situation, move on to different pastures. Just be sure you are doing it for the right reasons. JMHO

P.S. You never leave a team crippled unless the situation is truly dangerous.

Things that dont kill us make us stronger.

Just wait until HS then you will see drama.

Things that dont kill us make us stronger.

Just wait until HS then you will see drama.

Coach MQ,

Having experienced it this last year it seems like several vary different worlds colliding at once. Lucky for us, all settled fairly early in the season and the kids and families had a great time. However, I can see how entire years get lost in HS ball with so many, on so many different pages.

If I would have quit things at the first sign of problems I would have never graduated from High School, never played HS football or basketball, never lasted three weeks in college, and would have never lasted 20 weeks in my marriage, let alone twenty years.
My advice is to stick it out and for you to tell her to try harder, I would tell you to keep quiet around others, including your daughter and try and remain a positive influence in the team functions.
Once it is all set and done, you are the better person for taking a high road. If things don't change by season's end it was not because you didn't try. At that point you can move on and you are a better person for it and so is your daughter.
For what it's worth, my opinion.

All in is all in!
I would stay.
Nothing worse than bailing out on a team.

I agree with Bear. We were sorta in that situation last year but stuck it out until the following season. There are nine or ten other girls on the team and if you go they may have to forfiet or just be done. And that would really stink for the rest of the team; you may not be liked for leaving, but you did it with warning and didn't make it horrible for the other girls.

If I would have quit things at the first sign of problems I would have never graduated from High School, never played HS football or basketball, never lasted three weeks in college, and would have never lasted 20 weeks in my marriage, let alone twenty years.
My advice is to stick it out and for you to tell her to try harder, I would tell you to keep quiet around others, including your daughter and try and remain a positive influence in the team functions.
Once it is all set and done, you are the better person for taking a high road. If things don't change by season's end it was not because you didn't try. At that point you can move on and you are a better person for it and so is your daughter.
For what it's worth, my opinion.

Excellent post. In every situation you can either be part of the problem or part of the solution. Try to be part of the solution; even if it doesn't get better its only 5 more weeks and you can say you tried your best - many times in life that's all you can do...

hopefully you are battling behind the scenes and not involving your daughter in contacts with the coach and other parents about your frustrations. sometimes, we create mini-divas when they know they can tell us anything and they get their way. Whatever you decide to do, try to make sure it doesn't happen again. no one likes a closet full of different logos

I would think things would have to be completely unbearable to jump teams in the middle of the season. I think it is important for both the player and their family, as well as the organization, to honor the commitment made for the year.

The easiest road is not always the best. Grass is always greener on the otherside until you take your sunglasses off & go walk on that grass:) As a coach, all I want is for the girls to be happy but I always keep coming to the realization you can't make everyone happy especially the parents - heck I can't even make myself happy all the time :)