cincy bowls

My daughter has been going to Cindy for awhile now, other parents are telling me about other hitting coaches and about how they dont agree on Cindy's way of hitting. ?Just wondering anyone elces opinion.

Hey, 090,
Hitting styles can vary. This is always an interesting topic. It brings out lots of info, both good and bad. Traditionally, however, this forum quite correctly avoids discussions about professionals who earn a living helping our wonderful girls play this sport better. We need them and appreciate them. I recommend you simply ask for people who have taken lessons from a particular pro to contact you for a personal chat. And beware, you'll always find someone ready to say negative things -- be sure you extract the essentials.
Dan Hennessey
Hitting Instructor

I believe that most paid instructors in girls sports are knowledgable people who help their students to some degree. ? That said however my DD has played on teams with players who have had professional hitting instructors and you couldn't tell them from the one who hadn't. ? Don't expect an instructor to work miracles. ?It would be nice if some players out of high school or college would work with teams as instructors as a way to give back to the game they have played and enjoyed. ? Too many people are trying to make money on youth sports in general. ?

Hitting instructors provide the service of teaching you the mechanics of a swing. THere are various styles as previouly mentioned. Once your swing mechanics are good and your hitting the ball squarely and with little wasted motion (time) you are at the end of what a hitting instructor can do for you. The rest is on your own and that is learning the most important aspect of hitting; timing. Timing is about the bat head hitting the ball in the impact zone. You don't have to have good mechanics to have good timing, but if you have good mechanics the chances of you hitting the ball better are greatly improved.

A good instructor will work with your mechanics off the tee and slowly progress you through a soft toss and eventually a long toss (20-30 ft) all in hopes that your swing mechanics stay the same from step to step. If they change it's back to the last step that they were consistent until that becomes solid muscle memory and then you move forward again. It can take a long time or it can take a little time, to work through the process, every ones different.

Instructors may do the long toss and some may use a pitching machine (I prefer the long toss method to) to help you to begin to understand timing and to make sure your swing mechanics don't break down. But in the end it is up to you to do the work away from the instructor to keep your muscle memory sharp.

Where students fail-It is usually the lack of work that they put in between lessons. To build timing you need to see live pitching either fastpitch style or overhand, both are good in my estimation over seeing nothing at all. The overhand method can be done in a batting cage behind a screen from dear old dad/mom throwing hundreds of balls to different locations around the plate and changing speeds slightly. This should be done from around 20 feet to simulate speeds of 50-65 mph (reation time).

In conclusion I have never met a professional hitting instructor that didn't provide a valuable service, including Cindy Bowles. If your suffering from a lack of success it could mean you need a little more patience and a little more work. If you put both of those in you will gain success.

Remember a hitting instructor can't stand in the box and help you through a PRESSURE at bat. When a batter allows pressure to cause them to loose focus then the problem is not a hitting instructor problem but a mental one.

We have 5 girls that take private hitting lessons from Dan Hennesey and starting this fall Dan will be the Cincy Dooms Hitting instructor for the whole organazation, I am very happy to have Dan and all the knoeledge he brings on hitting.
When those girls are not with Dan I know they put in alot of practice at home and that is key, PRACTICE AT HOME.

Tim Gregory
Cincy Doom

I am 2kidsdad's daughter and I take lessons from Dan too. ?He has done wonders for me and now I hit the ball more often and harder than i ever have. ?Thanks a lot Dan!!!!!

Find an instructor that teaches fundamentals and Practice,Practice,Practice. We were in a team slump this past year and we went to three nights a week on the batting machine seeing 100 to 150 pitches a day. We as a team hit thirteen home runs in twelve games winning back to back tournaments in the process. All batters need to get their reps to be sucessful no matter who the coach is.