Coach With Integrity

OhPhat

Reaction score
We seem to see so much negativity in today’s environment but I want to just put this out there to recognize the coach the Phoenix Black 12U Head coach for his honesty and integrity and setting a good example for his team as well as a teaching moment for our team. Unfortunately I do not know the coaches name.

Here is the scenario, we are up 3-0 with 1 out in second inning on the Phoenix Black team and they have runners on 1st and 2nd. Pitch is foul tipped and dropped by our catcher who jumps up and makes a throw to 3rd as runners were advancing not knowing it was a foul tip and catcher made throw out of reaction. I questioned home plate umpire on why runners could advance on a dropped foul tip and he states it’s a live ball as from his view it was a caught foul tip and field umpire did not see dropped foul tip either as he was watching player stealing 3rd. With his runners standing now standing at 2nd and 3rd the coach of Phoenix Black says that the ball was definitely dropped and if it was foul tipped his players should return to 1st and 2nd.

Players did return to 1st & 2nd based on the coaches response. I applaud the coach for his honesty and integrity as he could have easily said nothing and his runners would have stayed at 2nd and 3rd.

Reaction score
Website
www.playusssaohio.com
Kevin and the other side of the coin: both officials were talking about that particular play later and how they could go about it to ensure they got it correct the next time.

What is that Hanibal of the A Team always said? "I love it when a plan comes together".

tadams9235

Reaction score
We seem to see so much negativity in today’s environment but I want to just put this out there to recognize the coach the Phoenix Black 12U Head coach for his honesty and integrity and setting a good example for his team as well as a teaching moment for our team. Unfortunately I do not know the coaches name.

Here is the scenario, we are up 3-0 with 1 out in second inning on the Phoenix Black team and they have runners on 1st and 2nd. Pitch is foul tipped and dropped by our catcher who jumps up and makes a throw to 3rd as runners were advancing not knowing it was a foul tip and catcher made throw out of reaction. I questioned home plate umpire on why runners could advance on a dropped foul tip and he states it’s a live ball as from his view it was a caught foul tip and field umpire did not see dropped foul tip either as he was watching player stealing 3rd. With his runners standing now standing at 2nd and 3rd the coach of Phoenix Black says that the ball was definitely dropped and if it was foul tipped his players should return to 1st and 2nd.

Players did return to 1st & 2nd based on the coaches response. I applaud the coach for his honesty and integrity as he could have easily said nothing and his runners would have stayed at 2nd and 3rd.

Thanks guys! It was fun...
Tim Adams
Phoenix Black 12U

OhPhat

Reaction score
Kevin and the other side of the coin: both officials were talking about that particular play later and how they could go about it to ensure they got it correct the next time.

What is that Hanibal of the A Team always said? "I love it when a plan comes together".
Mike thats good they discussed how to get it correct in future. Forever working to perfect their craft just as the players and coaches.

Honestly it was a tough one as the ball was dropped in line with our catcher’s line toward third to make throw thus the plate umpire was pretty much shielded entirely from the drop and quick pick up of the ball.

Reaction score
Website
www.playusssaohio.com
Foul tips are tough calls because the catchers body shields the dish umpire and throw in the fact that the base umpire was probably moving toward the tag play that was developing right in front of them..........

I just like when the officials work as hard as the players. Makes for a great experience all around.