Coaching Abuse!!

Stedman00

Reaction score
tough to read. BUT WOW! Problems in that program for certain.

Long Baller

Reaction score
This seems to be a recurring theme nowadays. Makes you wonder what has changed. Did these types of things always go on and just not get reported? Are college coaches more over the line today? Are the players just soft today compared to yesterday? All of the above?

Run26

Reaction score
It's a good thing these athletes weren't in college when I was. Holy smokes - 6 gassers and a minute of jumping rope was warm ups in wrestling. Yes, I realize softball is different than wrestling but none of this sounds out of the ordinary calisthenic wise. Now I don't condone what her husband said because that is completely inappropriate.

Bibb

Reaction score
It's a good thing these athletes weren't in college when I was. Holy smokes - 6 gassers and a minute of jumping rope was warm ups in wrestling. Yes, I realize softball is different than wrestling but none of this sounds out of the ordinary calisthenic wise. Now I don't condone what her husband said because that is completely inappropriate.
I agree 100%. Who knows what he actually said though. I’m sure the truth is somewhere in between best case and worse case.

Xrayaries

Reaction score
The period blood comment I understand but not being able to run 100 in 17 seconds in called poor condition. The more you do it the better you become. Non of the above sounds remotely abusive in terms of conditioning D1 athletes. I would be ashamed of my daughter called a hard workout abusive.

I remember running suicides for basketball in pre season workouts. There were 6 trash cans set up around the court because several players always puked. As the season went on you thanked the coach that you were not tired at all in the 4th quarter. In football our coach called them demon runs. Sprint 10 yards, back pedal 5 yards, bear crawl 5 yards, 5 burpees then repeat we did this for 200 yards. I never called it abuse because I saw results from my effort.

Last edited:

jpkeating

Reaction score
This is one of the reasons why players really need to do there homework before committing to a program. Not just at the travel ball level but at the college level as well.
As far as the players that were already there when she was hired, that’s a different story. They had no choice in the matter.

Rotte

Reaction score
I don't know if this is true or not. It seems this keeps coming up with different Coaches & Programs. We bring these kids up with the idea if things get tough, or don't go your way, just find another team. Do to transfer rule changes, its happening at the college level. A terrible thing happening, makes it easier to be eligible, without setting out a year. The Coach featured in this article may very well be guilty, but I'm starting to doubt accusations like this. I would say it's easy to say she is a really tough coach, but abusive? Time will tell?

jpkeating

Reaction score
I don't know if this is true or not. It seems this keeps coming up with different Coaches & Programs. We bring these kids up with the idea if things get tough, or don't go your way, just find another team. Do to transfer rule changes, its happening at the college level. A terrible thing happening, makes it easier to be eligible, without setting out a year. The Coach featured in this article may very well be guilty, but I'm starting to doubt accusations like this. I would say it's easy to say she is a really tough coach, but abusive? Time will tell?
Bobby Knight or Woody Hayes 2 of the best college coach’s ever in there respective sport. Would never get away with now what they used to do to players in there era’s.

DougA10

Reaction score

My daughter played for her so it is real easy to say it "she is an abusive piece of garbage".

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
This stuff goes on at the High School level. Several stories from a few girls I know that attend a high school here in central Ohio that have told me stories of the abusive cussing and yelling at practices. Making the girls get off the field and cuss them out telling them to go home they don't deserve to be on her field. Maybe stress gets to them or their home life or something. As long as they are not mentally bashing the Athletes or physically bashing the athletes it is what it is.

Rotte

Reaction score
Hutchins continued.

"Her character is (being questioned). You can knock people's coaching or coaching styles, but this isn't about that. They're attacking her character. What's the complaint? What's the problem? Kids want to have a say in everything and you can't coach a team … a team is one heartbeat. You can't have 15, 20 individuals, and somebody's got to be in charge of that. The leader, the general.

"There's a lot of tough decisions to make. When you make a tough decision, there's always a bunch of people that don't agree with it, because they didn't go through the entire process of making it."

"The story is really, who is running college athletics these days?" she asked. "Student-athletes. Kids say that you're yelling at them when you raise your voice when they can't hear you. They're in the outfield and it's like, 'Hey, move over!' 'Well, you're always yelling at me.' No, I'm not yelling. I'm trying to get your attention.

"Kids twist things into whatever they want and right now this is outrageous. And I've seen it happen to a lot of people."

DougA10

Reaction score
Hutchins continued.

"Her character is (being questioned). You can knock people's coaching or coaching styles, but this isn't about that. They're attacking her character. What's the complaint? What's the problem? Kids want to have a say in everything and you can't coach a team … a team is one heartbeat. You can't have 15, 20 individuals, and somebody's got to be in charge of that. The leader, the general.

"There's a lot of tough decisions to make. When you make a tough decision, there's always a bunch of people that don't agree with it, because they didn't go through the entire process of making it."

"The story is really, who is running college athletics these days?" she asked. "Student-athletes. Kids say that you're yelling at them when you raise your voice when they can't hear you. They're in the outfield and it's like, 'Hey, move over!' 'Well, you're always yelling at me.' No, I'm not yelling. I'm trying to get your attention.

"Kids twist things into whatever they want and right now this is outrageous. And I've seen it happen to a lot of people."

Should a player be allowed to wear a NCAA approved piece of protective equipment, to prevent an injury? Or should the coach be allowed to keep her from wearing that piece of equipment?

Rotte

Reaction score
It's one of the biggest problem with Coaching changes. It puts everyone in a difficult situation.
With transfer rules being as they are, TRANSFER. It is my experience that 2 sides exist to every story. Parents & players can sometimes be the worst witnesses.

Rocket Dad

Reaction score
My daughter played for Coach Butler at Toledo, however, she was recruited by the previous coach. Like most coaches, Coach Butler made a very good first impression. That didn't last long. It's not about the excessive conditioning and hard workouts. It was over the top at times but that wasn't what was difficult for the players to deal with. It was about the mind games and verbal abuse that made life miserable for the girls. She pitted players against each other. She actually told the two pitchers that they shouldn't be such good friends. They should hate each other because they are in competition for playing time. She had her spies on the team that would rat out players for little things that all college kids do. The players cell phones were taken away from them on every road trip and given back after dinner, then taken again at curfew. I have no proof the phones were looked through but I have no doubt that they were. Most of the players actually all celebrated when they got the text from Coach Butler that she was leaving for Rutgers. She is not a good person and her husband is worse and he wasn't even a coach at Toledo.

Last edited:

DougA10

Reaction score
My daughter played for Coach Butler at Toledo, however, she was recruited by the previous coach. Like most coaches, Coach Butler made a very good first impression. That didn't last long. It's not about the excessive conditioning and hard workouts. It was over the top at times but that wasn't what was difficult for the players to deal with. It was about the mind games and verbal abuse that made life miserable for the girls. She pitted players against each other. She actually told the two pitchers that they shouldn't be such good friends. They should hate each other because they are in competition for playing time. She had her spies on the team that would rat out players for little things that all college kids do. The players cell phones were taken away from them on every road trip and given back after dinner, then taken again at curfew. I have no proof the phones were looked through but I have no doubt that they were. Most of the players actually all celebrated when they got the text from Coach Butler that she was leaving for Rutgers. She is not a good person and her husband is worse and he wasn't even a coach at Toledo.

Well said Rocketdad. I just shake my head when people comment on a topic / situation they no nothing about.