college scholarships and High School Ball

Is it really necessary to play High School Softball in order to get a College Scholarship. I hear many people say that you get noticed on you travel teams and show cases and thats how most get there scholarships.

I sure do hope not. I don't think the DD will want to play again after this year.

Many people keep asking this year in and year out. Some say that college coaches will question why a girl didn't play HS ball, that it doesn't show commitment to the sport, so on and so forth.

My advice.......ask a college coach. Especially one from a school that your DD is interested in attending. I'm sure your DD goes to college camps. She can ask the coach just about anything while she is on the campus.

Check out the rosters of various college softball websites. Click on the player's name and read the bios. You might get your answer there.

Len

Is it really necessary to play High School Softball in order to get a College Scholarship. I hear many people say that you get noticed on you travel teams and show cases and thats how most get there scholarships.

scholarships = Grades grades grades....... I think a top athlete with great academics, will not be overlooked if they do not play HS ball. Colleges play when HS plays so they cant do much recruiting during the season until playoffs. I believe most recruiting is done at showcases. Run track for your HS and you now have an alibi. :)

While recruiting isn't done at regular season high school games, you better have a good reason for not playing high school which includes doing something else instead. Every college coach I've heard who has been asked this subject has pretty much said it sends up a lot of red flags. People unhappy with their high school coaches can keep telling themselves it doesn't matter, but at least know if you use that as an excuse you're going to scare some college coaches away.

Coach is right.

Furthermore what else is a kid going to do in January through May each year. The school provides practice facilities with batting cages, conditioning and a few games. A player that skips that will by behind when summer ball opens up. There is no decent alternative to high school ball in our region for the majority of our players. So s--k it up get in some reps and get ready for summer...if you can win a state championship along the way then so much the better.

Will let you know in 2 years or so because unless her high school gets a new coach my DD will not be playing HS ball.

Do you care to hear the opinion of someone who has been through all stages of his daughter's softball career - Rec, Travel, High School, College?

Stop pursuing the Near-Mythical Softball Scholarship. For 99.5% of the girls out there, the best you can hope for is a Partial Scholarship. A couple of thou, maybe "books". College costs are so high that these hardly make a dent in the total expenses. Pick the school that you really want, and play because you want to, not because of a token financial gesture.

Starting in 10U, we all hear that Susie is going to get a scholarship. If she does, that's great. But realistically, it's a long shot. A really long shot. Play because you love it.

(Besides, we all know that the Full Rides go to the West Coast girls :rolleyes:)

Monsters ... so assuming the school doesn't get a new coach, what will be the reason your daughter will give to the college coaches that ask?

Monsters ... so assuming the school doesn't get a new coach, what will be the reason your daughter will give to the college coaches that ask?

Honestly I have no idea what her answer would be.

Be well rounded - Run Track or get involved in the Spring Musical!!! Both very acceptable reasons if a kid is playing Summer & Fall Ball!

Monsters ... then she needs to rehearse that before she does talk to them.

Why does she have to tell anyone anything. It is hers and her families choice. No thank you means just what it says. Nope not interested. High school ball teaches kids how to deal with 3 things, How to mix and manage your athletics with your academic and social life. That and play with your classmates and friends and for school and community pride. Last but not least it gives mom and dad something to put in their scrap book. Any one that places more importance than that on high school softball is probably the coach scrambling to find quality players.

If you do not want to play school softball. Run Track, play golf, no college coach I have ever known has rejected a good player with good act or sat scores because they diddnt play hs ball. As a matter of fact you may find shes recruited for more than one sport, so her options may grow.

I have always found the softball world a little bit hypocritical about certain issues. Alot and I mean alot of people set and talk about how kids should play more than one sport and be well rounded and then act surprised and upset when that other sport takes the place of school ball.

I mean alot of people set and talk about how kids should play more than one sport and be well rounded and then act surprised and upset when that other sport takes the place of school ball.

Good point !

Thanks Bouldersdad, glad to hear someone put it that way. My DD loves the game and the HS coach was ruining it for her. She would like to continue playing in college but we aren't looking for any sports scholarships although any help would be nice. She doesn't play any other sports but she is on the drum line in a competitive band which in my opinion takes more practice and dedication than any softball team she has ever played for. They go to camp for a week and have two a days the month before school starts. Just to toot her horn a little, she has played in Lucas oil field and the horseshoe. We bought her a picture of her standing on the block "O" at the 50 yard line.Plus she takes all honor classes and is carrying a weighted GPA of 4.1. So again hopefully she can continue her softball career into college if that is what she truly wants to do but I believe she will be just fine even if she doesn't, after all it is just a game.

Tim ... for the most part I agree with what you're saying ... if she's a stud player in the summer, has good grades, and can answer questions from a coach about things like this, then you're absolutely right.

But, with all due respect ...

a) not all players who want to play in college are true stud players that any college coach is going to scoop up regardless
b) players who decide not to play in high school definitely need to be doing something else instead (you said this too)
c) they still need to be able to answer the question why they didn't play in a way that is intelligent and respectful
d) how many players playing on scholarships in college didn't actually play HS ball? I'm sure you know a lot more scholarship players than me, but I haven't met one yet that didn't and, until I meet a couple, I'm not going to make that leap of faith and tell people it's OK and that college coaches don't care

My main point is that 90% of the potential players out there are going to send up red flags if they (and/or her parents) say that her HS school coach was an idiot, didn't know what he was doing, didn't play the best players, etc. ... and if she didn't do some other activity instead. They need to have a good answer to this question.

d) how many players playing on scholarships in college didn't actually play HS ball?

I've been thinking the same thing. If you're even contemplating not playing HS ball, you're not scholarship material.

That was my point coach. Have some other activity in the spring if they are dead set against playing for a certain coach. We had 2 kids in our HS program that were multi sport athletes, one was bowling one was golf, both were recruited for multi sports in college. One was a D3 the other D2.

My comment wasnt really about the 1 half of 1 percent that go one to play ball at the D1 level. Im speaking more of the other 99% that will play at the lower levels.

I also believe that HS ball is over rated unless you are part of that elite group that are constantly in state. I mean lets face it. 95% of the hs programs are one and done come conference time so they cant ask a coach to come watch Because College is still in full swing. Travel Ball unless you are part of that elite group is where your recruiting is done. And if a girl were to say run track and keep up with private instruction for softball during school season I honestly dont think she would miss a beat coming back into travel. Honestly for the majority she would probably be better off not picking up all the querks and bad habbits they do in school ball.

As far as answering the question.... the correct answer is I wanted to play 2 sports, That would be my answer.

Really this isnt about scholarship athletes as you asked in question D. Its more about the kid that will go play d3 and not get that scholarship money to begin with.

I think its a personal decision. and mine would be as long as I play for a good travel team that can help me get recruited if thats what im after then I have an option over high school ball if need be.

As always coach these comments are just my opinion and said with respect to you and your beliefs.

Tim

Someone asked me recently what I thought the red flags might be ... here is a list to start with ...

1) They didn't play because they didn't have the grades and/or couldn't balance their school work
2) They didn't play because their coach didn't play them or play them enough or where they wanted to play because the coach didn't think they were good enough or needed to do what was best for the team
3) They didn't play because their coach didn't play them because they showed a lot of attitude or disrespect towards authority
4) They didn't play because it cut into their social life too much
5) They didn't play because they didn't want to practice or work hard

Are there potentially other good reasons not to play? Absolutely! But a college coach is going to want to rule out all of the above because these are going to become even bigger issues in college.