Courtesy Runner-tied to pitcher or catcher, correct?

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I interpret this rule correctly, but I want to be certain. Bracket play in ASA Tourney. Straight ASA Rules.
Coach is batting straight 9 with two subs; #6 & 19 on the bench. (these are fictitious jersey #'s and any relation to any players with this # who are commonly subs is purely coincidental.)

Pitcher gets on base. Coach opts to put in a courtesy runner, #19 for the pitcher. The next inning the catcher gets on base. That coach is not allowed to use #19 as a courtesy runner for the catcher, correct? She should be tied to the pitcher for the courtesy runner role.
However, the coach does have the right to use #19 for the catcher if he puts her in a true substitute for the catcher, which of course now consumes one of her legal entries. Now, the catcher is officially out of the game, with one re-entry available and #19 is in the game. That means she is no longer eligible to be used as a courtesy runner for anybody.

Do I have this correct?

Had an ump tell me recently that the player who came out of the game (with one re-entry remaining) is now the sub and SHE can be used as a courtesy runner. He said that is the way it is done not only in ASA, but also other sanctions. I suspect he was just confused, because once a player is legally in the game she cannot be used as a courtesy runner (again...straight ASA & bracket play)

CZ

Comp

Reaction score
You have it correct. A courtesy runner can only be a player who has not yet participated in the game. Once a player has participated actively in the lineup they can no longer be a courtesy runner.

Some rule sets do allow the courtesy runner to run for both the pitcher and catcher, but never in the same inning. ASA and NFHS both lock the courtesy runner to the position they ran for.

FastBat

Reaction score
What about using the "last out" for the pitcher or catcher? Only when 2 outs? Is that only in ASA?

Comp

Reaction score
Off the top of my head Im not aware of any rule set that allows the last out to be a courtesy runner. Possibly some local rec leagues or special tournament rules may allow it, but no any actual rule set I can think of and most certainly not ASA.

snoman76

Reaction score
What about using the "last out" for the pitcher or catcher? Only when 2 outs? Is that only in ASA?

This is a modified rule for pool play that most if not all sanctions use because they allow roster batting. Therefore there will not be a sub available to use for a courtesy runner.

Last edited: