cyberbullying alive and well

joker18

Reaction score
When are organizations going to take a stand on this type of activity Players and parents need to get under control how they treat people online. I am hearing two Ice teams are battling it out on Twitter and coaches have quit because they didn't want to put up with it. What a shame too, coaches that are volunteering their time with no kids on the team. Word of advice to parents, it is your responsibility to know what your kids are posting online and one can only hope they didn't learn this behavior from you. Coaches, take a stand, eliminate these cancers from your team before it destroys your whole season!

crystlemc

Reaction score
It is not the job of an organization to police a player's social media. That is the responsibility of the parents.

agoch

Reaction score
Crystal, I agree with you to a certain extent. It is 100% the parents responsibility, but if the organization is made aware of this activity, I think we have the responsibility to at least investigate and make sure there is not a bigger issue and if there is take some action. I don't think we should just bury our head in the sand, but yes I am not going to sit thee and monitor all of my kids social media accounts.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
Tough one there....you can't solve the worlds problems and if it weren't electronically done, it would have been verbal in cliques years ago, so it only has changed in that way. You can only hope the coaches and orgs have created an environment that could be enjoyable for all involved, but there is never going to be nirvana, so don't take any of it personally. Kids and parents both can be vicious, hence the opportunity to move to another team is always a possibility for anyone regardless....

I just put it in my kids heads you are the worst on the team so just go with it....lol

Klump

Reaction score
I am an Ice coach for one of the said battling teams and I don't know who Joker is but there is no battle between the 2 teams. They are another Ice team, I hope they have a great season this year....other than when we play them. ;)
As with ALL girls that age, there are personal issues among schoolmates, former teammates and just girls in general. Things like that are the responsibility of the families and have nothing to do with the teams. As a coach I have a ton of things to do but monitoring other team's players Twitter accounts is not one of them. I don't even have a Twitter and won't profess to know what it is. Some personal issues have nothing to do with the ball field and shouldn't be brought onto it.....just my opinion.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
monitoring other team's players Twitter accounts is not one of them. I don't even have a Twitter and won't profess to know what it is. Some personal issues have nothing to do with the ball field and shouldn't be brought onto it.....just my opinion.

Why doesn't this "temporary website" have a "Like" button?...

Fastpitch1

Reaction score
I am an Ice coach for one of the said battling teams and I don't know who Joker is but there is no battle between the 2 teams. They are another Ice team, I hope they have a great season this year....other than when we play them. ;)
As with ALL girls that age, there are personal issues among schoolmates, former teammates and just girls in general. Things like that are the responsibility of the families and have nothing to do with the teams. As a coach I have a ton of things to do but monitoring other team's players Twitter accounts is not one of them. I don't even have a Twitter and won't profess to know what it is. Some personal issues have nothing to do with the ball field and shouldn't be brought onto it.....just my opinion.

Could not agree more.. Its the parents who have to be involved with their kids and what they do on line. The organization and coaches can not baby sit off the field. The Org, even is made aware, is limited in what they can do to address the situation. There is enough he said, she said with grown folks.. Try getting to the bottom of a kids on line feed???!!! No way... Again its a parental issues not a organizations...

Westler33

Reaction score
I think it is absolutely the parents responsibility to monitor what their children do online and off but if it is dragged into the team then the coach should take action to fix or get rid of the problem.

Coach_Dave

Reaction score
IMO if a Coach is made aware of such issues, he/she would be doing a disservice to the Team if they did not use it as a 'teaching moment'. Young Ladies...take a moment to read your post or text, and consider how others will take it, prior to hitting send. Heck, that's a difficult concept for most adults....

The3dm

Reaction score
Somewhere between reality and winning the lottery.
Now I need clarification on just how someone can bully somebody online. I really think this has become a fall-back for every type of human interaction that somebody takes issue with. When I was growing up, bullying was a physical thing. I guess the whole "Sticks & Stones" thing rang true when I was young. Nowadays we continue to breed soft, emotionally insecure children.

If parents want their kids to be strong and confident adults you need to let them get knocked down. Teach them how to get back up, teach them not to look to others for their own self worth. Teach them that people only have power over you when you give it to them. Be old school, it worked for a hundred years. JMHO

Westler33

Reaction score
that sounds like my brother. his famous words to the kids when they fall down is be tough be tough. lol

maddball44

Reaction score
Now I need clarification on just how someone can bully somebody online. I really think this has become a fall-back for every type of human interaction that somebody takes issue with. When I was growing up, bullying was a physical thing. I guess the whole "Sticks & Stones" thing rang true when I was young. Nowadays we continue to breed soft, emotionally insecure children.

If parents want their kids to be strong and confident adults you need to let them get knocked down. Teach them how to get back up, teach them not to look to others for their own self worth. Teach them that people only have power over you when you give it to them. Be old school, it worked for a hundred years. JMHO

If we had LIKES available, I would have given you a big thumbs up!

hpifm

Reaction score
Ahh, the age of progress, read it on the net and it MUST be true. The problem with all this crap is that you can say what you want on the net and don't have to back it up. The3dm has the right idea, as old fashioned as it is. I sure do miss the good old days when you settled this on the playground ans someone left with a black eye , or split lip. Hate to say it but we are now a nation "of hurt feelings". Bullies will always be around, learn to live with it or stand up for youselves.

Coach_Dave

Reaction score
Most children are able to overcome this, but some are not. In a way, up close and personal bullying is less cruel, because in most cases there is a limited audience. Bullying is about embarrassing a child. If you increase the audience, you increase the embarrassment. Are you saying it's no big deal for a group of kids to make fun of a child with a learning disability on Facebook? Yes, you would hope a kid would shake it off, but some do not. Ever heard of a child committing suicide over a social media post? I suppose their parents just need to 'shake it off'.

The3dm

Reaction score
Somewhere between reality and winning the lottery.
Most children are able to overcome this, but some are not. In a way, up close and personal bullying is less cruel, because in most cases there is a limited audience. Bullying is about embarrassing a child. If you increase the audience, you increase the embarrassment. Are you saying it's no big deal for a group of kids to make fun of a child with a learning disability on Facebook? Yes, you would hope a kid would shake it off, but some do not. Ever heard of a child committing suicide over a social media post? I suppose their parents just need to 'shake it off'.

That's not bullying, you stated it right as embarrassing. If you have never been truly embarrassed, you're not living life properly in my opinion. Teach your kids to be proud of who they are, where they come from, etc... Teach your kids to think before they act or else they may embarrass them self. TEACH YOUR KIDS!!! Stop assuming that they know how to handle life and be their guide. Let them fall, help them up but let them fall.

If a child commits suicide over something on social media or any other cause, I blame the parents for not preparing that child for life or not getting them help (or Lord forbid keeping them off of social media). Too many parents think they need to keep up with the times, your child doesn't need an iPhone, twitter, facebook, pintrest, etc., take charge and be a parent. If your child cannot coupe you need to get them help. Denial of the problem by parents kills too many children.

Last edited:

Coach_Dave

Reaction score
Blame whoever you want, but the fact remains, the kid is still gone. This isn't a hypothetical scenario..... this has happened. If talking to kids about not posting stupid crap on the internet could possibly save another kid's life....I'm pretty o.k. with that.

SoCal_Dad

Reaction score
IMO if a Coach is made aware of such issues, he/she would be doing a disservice to the Team if they did not use it as a 'teaching moment'. Young Ladies...take a moment to read your post or text, and consider how others will take it, prior to hitting send. Heck, that's a difficult concept for most adults....
I agree with what you originally posted. Coaches aren't responsible for monitoring their players, but they should act if they're made aware of a situation that reflects badly on their team.

They should also caution families that many schools and employers check what applicants are posting on the internet. Our 16U coach got feedback from a college that they were very interested in a player until they saw what she was posting online.

As for bullying, there are some tragic cases of it. However, I don't agree with the zero-tolereance overreaction to it that makes a federal case out of any isolated comment.

Chad Strahler

Reaction score
Ok I agree with several. Talking to them as a coach is ok too if it effects the team or is affecting a child. Parents should monitor but don't and that's usually the reason the kid is a bully because the parents. Sorry if that's offensive but it's true. Kids learn from parents first, it's nature. I also agree MOST parents anymore caudal their children and don't let them get thick skin and stand up for themselves. It's absurd how much bitching I hear parents doing about others and taking up for their kids and right in front of their kids. So what kind of behavior and role model is that for children? Can't remember my parents doing that. I remember them supporting coaches and teachers decisions no matter what....just sayin'

Let me say it's ok to stand up for your child but it's really really extreme these days and you all know what I mean. And those that don't. Your probably "one of those parents".

joboo1drew

Reaction score
That's not bullying, you stated it right as embarrassing. If you have never been truly embarrassed, you're not living life properly in my opinion. Teach your kids to be proud of who they are, where they come from, etc... Teach your kids to think before they act or else they may embarrass them self. TEACH YOUR KIDS!!! Stop assuming that they know how to handle life and be their guide. Let them fall, help them up but let them fall.

If a child commits suicide over something on social media or any other cause, I blame the parents for not preparing that child for life or not getting them help (or Lord forbid keeping them off of social media). Too many parents think they need to keep up with the times, your child doesn't need an iPhone, twitter, facebook, pintrest, etc., take charge and be a parent. If your child cannot coupe you need to get them help. Denial of the problem by parents kills too many children.

Sorry, but you are wrong. In the age of information, it is bullying. Just because they did not have the technology when you grew up doesn't mean it isn't so. Times change.