Defense strategies - Bases Loaded 2 outs full count on batter what's your infield defense setup?

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Girls Softball Defense infielders depth question.

2 outs, bases loaded, full count on batter your leading by 2 runs in 5 inning, batter can hit with strength.

What would your infielders depth look like? Would you be playing deeper to protect your lead?

JoeA1010

Reaction score
Playing deep in the infield here. Not going to be a bunt and not a slapper. Play is going to be at first with runners taking off on the pitch. Maximize the chance for an out and also maximize the opportunity to keep a ball in the infield on a hard grounder in either hole or regular grounder up the middle.

Reaction score
Play deep...keep everything in the infield. Cover lots of real estate and get the out.

wow

Reaction score
The out is anywhere. How many times you see everyone in and the shot over the outfielders head? Even with a weak at bat. Of course you want the out at 1. Of course you want to keep it in front. What do you do if your deep on the infielder and the kid bunts with 2? Yes i know if its foul she is out, but bunting with 2 is a strategy, albeit maybe not the best.

Here is how you play this. First you look at the book and see what the batter did before. Then you choose the best pitch as not to walk in a run. Then you move up SS and 2nd. Really no play at the 2nd base. Protect the infield on a bunt or dribbler. Park 1st & 3 back at their respective bases. Outfield has to keep ball in front, so that's a issues of speed. You put the ball in play, protecting the infield and look for a ground ball or pop up depending on the pitch. Get the out at 1, however in the event of something crazy you have a play at 1,3, or 4.

I just think if you commit to everything deep you leave the infield open. Deep the walk off is there. The defense really depends on pitch, past at bats from the batter, and strengths in the field.

coachjwb

Reaction score
Bunting with 2 outs, 2 strikes bases loaded, and behind in the game is borderline lunacy ... not a good percentage play by the offense ... too many ways to make the 3rd out ... I don't worry about that at all if I am on defense ... I want them to try to bunt ...

You play back in the infield knowing that you have an out at any base, and knowing that even on an infield single, the other team is still behind ...