Defense strategies - what's your defense setup if you only have 8 players?

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
Coaches I've seen this happen in tournament play in travel ball, but mostly see it a lot at the Rec & Youth League Level.

But my question is aimed at Girls Travel Team Coaches and I'm sure it would also apply to the lower levels as well except when it come to pitching.

Your in a tournament and during a game your 9th playing becomes unable to play and now you left with only 8 players to cover 9 positions on the softball diamond.

Q1.) What your defense going to look like when it comes to cover positions on the diamond?

Q2.) Based on your defense setup what pitch's will you try and throw and what pitch's will you definitely stay away from?

coachjwb

Reaction score
I would drop to 2 in the outfield, one in left center and one in right center and not do anything different in calling pitches.

CoachB25

Reaction score
Coaches I've seen this happen in tournament play in travel ball, but mostly see it a lot at the Rec & Youth League Level.

But my question is aimed at Girls Travel Team Coaches and I'm sure it would also apply to the lower levels as well except when it come to pitching.

Your in a tournament and during a game your 9th playing becomes unable to play and now you left with only 8 players to cover 9 positions on the softball diamond.

Q1.) What your defense going to look like when it comes to cover positions on the diamond?

Q2.) Based on your defense setup what pitch's will you try and throw and what pitch's will you definitely stay away from?
#1. Two outfielders. If you have a fast person that is on the infield and can play OF and a slow OF who can play IF, then I would make that switch.
#2. Drop balls. Why? Ground balls are your friend in this situation. LOL

daboss

Reaction score
I'd let Cat or Monica pitch and only play with 2 players. lol. Just kidding but it might work!

2 outfielders positioned in left center and right center favoring right field on right-handed batters. Pitch them outside to away low at the knees. With base runners and the batters being 1-2 and 6-9 (or 10 if batting that many) I would pitch to jam inside. Left-handed batters would get pitched inside and up in the range all day. the 3 thru 5 hitters are my worry. They always are a worry. Pitch them carefully and consider a free pass if a baserunner is on board.