Elyria High Pioneers

#3dad

Reaction score
How bout them Pioneers!?!?! Tip my cap to Lebanon, great team! Definitely one of the most entertaining games I've ever seen. Congrats Lady Pioneers! Your D1 State Champs!

#3dad

Reaction score
Tough way to lose a game for sure, and it took guts for the umpire to call it. In my opinion, it was definitely the correct call tho.

brownsfan

Reaction score
The same thing happening in the WCWS....obstruction was called. Wasn't there but that's the word.

Creek01

Reaction score
There was an obstruction call that allowed a runner to score that was out at home to end the game in the bottom of the 7th. There's video of it.

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Its on youtube. Home plate ump called the runner out originally (would of sent game to extra innings) but the field umpire came in to talk with him and they changed the call. It was a bang bang play and at the angle of the camera view its a tough call to see exact placement of catchers body. You can see right foot on corner of the plate and appears rest of body in foul territory. I know the letter of the law on this. It wasn't as clear as the college WS game and their call.

b lesh

Reaction score
Its on youtube. Home plate ump called the runner out originally (would of sent game to extra innings) but the field umpire came in to talk with him and they changed the call. It was a bang bang play and at the angle of the camera view its a tough call to see exact placement of catchers body. You can see right foot on corner of the plate and appears rest of body in foul territory. I know the letter of the law on this. It wasn't as clear as the college WS game and their call.

The catcher was going up the 3rd baseline when called for obstruction. Don't know who was covering the plate.Still a tough way to lose.

Julie

Reaction score
I could be wrong, but pretty sure the catcher was at home -- it was a pretty rough encounter between the catcher and Macy Taylor at the plate and I'm sure Taylor will be feeling it tomorrow. Taylor was tripped heading home and got up and continued to home. Home plate ump called her out; third base ump came over to talk and then all heck broke lose when they changed the call to safe based on obstruction call.

Last edited:

backstop09

Reaction score
The obstruction call was made by the base umpire for the runner rounding third, not for the play at the plate. Not sure why the fielder was positioned there because about the only thing she could do where she was is to get called for obstruction. It was head's up baserunning and coaching to take advantage of the obstruction call. She likely would not have scored or even attempted to go home but she got a free pass because of the Lebanon fielder being out of position in foul territory.

Julie

Reaction score
Jonathan West has a perfect view video of the final play on Facebook. Taylor gets tripped up rounding third as backstop says. That was the obstruction, not at home plate.

b lesh

Reaction score
Jonathan West has a perfect view video of the final play on Facebook. Taylor gets tripped up rounding third as backstop says. That was the obstruction, not at home plate.

Could you post it?

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Ah we all assumed the that call was the play at home, since we only see the home plate umpire making the call. Smart heads up running/coaching there!
Elyria`s pitcher came down to Marion after they won to pitch against my daughters team in Marion. She got there just in time. Only if it would of went extra innings..... :0)

Again congrats to Elyria and I feel bad for the girls from Lebanon!

flygirlsdad

Reaction score
Tough call. The way I understand obstruction is that it removes you from jeopardy of being put out, it doesn't give you an additional base per say. That is up to the discretion of the umpire. It looked to me that the catcher had the ball and was bringing it back to the plate before throwing up the line. I could have seen the obstruction called and the runner returned to third. As a poster stated earlier, the runner likely would not have attempted to score or she would have ran straight into the out as the catcher had the ball by the plate. I believe it would have been fair to place her back at third as the obstruction was not likely the cause of her being out at the plate. Wasn't there so just going off comments and video. Congrats to Elyria. Feel bad for Lebanon losing on a pure judgement call.

lhowser

Reaction score
From what I saw (remember at the moment) The field ump signaled obstruction immediately. The arm signal from the ump came out as soon as the runner was tripped up causing a complete loss of balance and stumble heading towards home. That happened before the rundown and the signal was independent of what the home ump was watching and calling at the plate. It really happened exactly like the player (Macy Taylor) described in the post game press conference. She said as soon as there was obstruction she was heading home.

Last edited:

NESB

Reaction score
Actually two obstruction calls in the 7th inning changed the game. First call was made at 1st base when the Pioneer runner was thrown out leading off 1st early in the inning. Umpire made correct call and called her safe due to 1st baseman blocking her return to the base. Second obstruction was called on the 3rd baseman for blocking the path of the winning run while rounding 3rd base. Both were correct. A third obstruction call could/should have been made earlier in the game when the Elyria catcher blocked home plate and tagged out the Lebanon runner.

Julie

Reaction score
It sucks to lose any state championship, but here is the thing: Lebanon scored 1 in the top of the seventh. Would any of its players have been ok had its girl been tripped rounding third, heading home? No. That is why the rule is in place -- to avoid that kind of play.