Emily Young (Stanford) Another Ohio Player going to PAC-12 to play & study

Lynx01

Reaction score
Now that her Letter has been signed and all the questions answered. I would like to say Congratulations to Emily Young of the OFC Heat-Orange and Ursuline Academy on signing to play softball for Coach Jessica Allister at Stanford University. Coach Allister, Coach Merchant, and Coach Nyberg have been extremely professional and a dream to work with through the process. As was Coach Jones (Akron) and Coach Connoyer(St. Louis) in allowing Emily to process the opportunities.
Emily has been with us since she was 11 years old and a great part of our success as a Team. She was always the smallest kid on our Team(until her sophomore year). Emily like many players today that play multiple sports, she had to make a decision on a sport. But for Emily it was not Volleyball or basketball it was Ice Hockey. See Emily played Ice Hockey at a level that had her playing on the Elite USA U16 Team and also in the Pittsburgh Penguins Organization. So it was a tough choice for her direction for athletics. But her biggest choice that many people may not know and is very important to young players. Emily could have gone to Mason HS where the softball is really good. But Emily like many of our players used softball as the sidewalk in the long walk of life. So Emily decided to attend Ursuline Academy to push herself not for softball, but education. Emily is a great leader on the field and a poster person for "Academics and Sports can work together". She lead our Team not only on the field, but in the classroom (Team GPA -13 players - 3.89GPA)
I apologize for being windy, but it is hard to be short when you are talking about your kids. Also I know Emily won't be happy with me doing this. But she deserves the recognition. So again Congratulations Emily and I know you will make O-H-I-O proud!!

Scott Urton
OFC Heat - Orange

Lynx01

Reaction score
Manitoudan
Great question! She is planning on a major in Engineering. So she was being looked at by Coach Allister while at Minnesota. Coach came down and saw her at Stingrays. When Coach Allister then took the Stanford job and having been a player there. She knew the atmosphere and felt Emily would fit very well there. So it is another good example of things happen for a reason and trust! Thank you for the question!

manitoudan

Reaction score
Thanks coach , with everyone these days looking to be offended I just wanted to know how an Ohio girl ( ANY ohio girl ) gets noticed by schools out west .. I thought maybe Colorado , firework thing or the other big event .

Creek01

Reaction score
Scott I’m glad you posted this. We played Scott’s team at STINGRAYS and Minnesota was there to watch Emily. The umpires allowed us to let Emily get one more at bat after drop dead to watch her hit. Thank you to those umpires who get what it’s all about. Glad it all worked out for her. I know between yourself, Coach Keith at Ursuline, and all the parents I’ve talked to I’ve never heard anything but praise for her. Great job Emily & Coach Urton

Ed Alexander

Reaction score
I got to spend this past summer watching her play and getting to know her and her family! What a great Kid and Family! Very well deserved! Congrats to Em and her Family!!