Face Mask, the debate rolls on

coop24

Reaction score
I just had to do it, i am sorry, i could not stop myself.....you get so use to reading it everyday for 3 years....its like crack

Rocket8

Reaction score
To mask or not to mask, that is the question..

mike_dyer

Reaction score
My kid wears a mouth guard these days, no mask. I was hitting her some ground balls today, she took one in the mouth. I said where is your mouth guard? "In my bag..." So it's a $%%#%@%@ bag guard now??? She went and got it.

Kids...

Westler33

Reaction score
like I said before why wait until you get an injury to wear it just wear it in the first place.

lewam3

Reaction score
I hear a girl took one off the lip at lasers. true?

It was an Outlaw 18u Black pitcher. lt was a line drive off her mouth from a lefty hitter. To her credit she returned to the park after getting stitched up, and reportedly wanted to play. I am not sure if she pitched any more though. Scary stuff.

Westler33

Reaction score
If only she would have had a mask on it would have just been a quick trip back in the circle instead of a quick trip to the ER. I hope she is ok and wears a mask in the next game she pitches.

fpitchdad

Reaction score
To mask or not to mask, that is the question..
Its a personal choice between parents and their daughters. I have no issues with a pitcher wearing a mask and I have no issues with a pitcher that doesn't wear a mask.

BouldersDad

Reaction score
Still waiting on fastpitchdad to make an entrance.... Brad where are you?

snoman76

Reaction score
I hear a girl took one off the lip at lasers. true?

Yes. Not sure what age group (older for sure) but she was staying at the same hotel. She is VERY lucky that all she needed was 10 stitches in her lip. I talked to her dad in the parking lot.. Her reason for not wearing a mask is becasue college coaches wont even look at her if she has one on.

Fastball19

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Don't remember if I posted this before the forum when down. Here is a video of one of our '02 Lady Bombers taking a shot to the neck & collarbone at the Wildcat Pride tournament.

[video=youtube;nrD87uHoH1M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrD87uHoH1M[/video]

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
not really sure why anyone would be so set against a mask.
definitely not worth the risk in a game as quick as this.....

Red Shirt Ensign

Reaction score
I saw a Pitcher wearing hers take one right off the eye.... I swear to god she would not be able to use that eye if there was no mask... the player is a very quick athletic shortstop when not pitching and she had no chance against that ball. this could have changed her for her whole life had she not had the mask.... the ball was smokin....

GEAR UP

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Here's a question. Would there be as many of these "OMFG!!!11!!one!!! Teh ball liek hit teh mask and she would hav liek teh dide!!!!111!!!!eleventyone!!!!!" posts if they weren't wearing masks? Would they be more defensive if they weren't wearing it?

I think of it like a football player. They pack them in and bundle them up the way they do, the guys start to feel invincible. Severe injuries don't plague rugby the way they do American football and those guys wear no pads.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
Here's a question. Would there be as many of these "OMFG!!!11!!one!!! Teh ball liek hit teh mask and she would hav liek teh dide!!!!111!!!!eleventyone!!!!!" posts if they weren't wearing masks? Would they be more defensive if they weren't wearing it?

I think of it like a football player. They pack them in and bundle them up the way they do, the guys start to feel invincible. Severe injuries don't plague rugby the way they do American football and those guys wear no pads.

I would find it hard to believe the girls culd be made to react more quickly and defensively just because they do not have a mask on. Let's be realistic here, the lag time for reaction on a pitcher's part to a well hit ball is almost non existent. They are wide open to being hit, the mask is just to keep our DD's faces where god put them in the first place. No game is worth a serious injury to my DD that can be made easily avoidable.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
College coaches wont look at her?? I think that is an old myth and times are changing! WEAR THE MASK! I WOULD NOT WANT MY DD GOING TO A COLLEGE THAT THE COACHES SAID SHE CANT WEAR A MASK!

Yes. Not sure what age group (older for sure) but she was staying at the same hotel. She is VERY lucky that all she needed was 10 stitches in her lip. I talked to her dad in the parking lot.. Her reason for not wearing a mask is becasue college coaches wont even look at her if she has one on.

Fastball19

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
My daughter hit a pitcher's hand with a line shot off her 2 Legit a few weeks ago and the pitcher's hand was almost still at the release point. 0 reaction time

Bill S

Reaction score
Don't remember if I posted this before the forum when down. Here is a video of one of our '02 Lady Bombers taking a shot to the neck & collarbone at the Wildcat Pride tournament.

[video=youtube;nrD87uHoH1M]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrD87uHoH1M[/video]

One of the 16U pitchers took a very similar hit at the same tournament. She got it right on the shoulder.