Fairborn Sunday 4/29 results

Actually as hard as it is to believe we just returned from completing this tournament. Thats right folks, believe it or not the 12U Championship game ended at 11:30pm. Mind you the championship game was scheduled for 5:15pm, but I could not possibly begin to tell you of the incompetence and the poor running of this tournament and even hope to keep it clean. So I will refrain.

However let me remind everyone that while it did rain a little on saturday afternoon it should not have effected the schedule this much. It stopped raining about 7:15pm or so saturday night and not a drop of rain fell from then until now. SOLID sun all day long and for the most part the infields and the outfields at this facility were nothing less then dangerous. We played the championship game on a field that still had standing water and mud puddles from centerfield all the way around to the right field foul line. Honestly we had outfielders who needed to change shoes after each inning that they played in the outfield. Again there was nothing but bright sun and a nice breeze ALL day long. Simply unreal.

I will end my mini rant with these two points. First of all, if a facility is going to host an event they should absolutely make sure that they have adequate staff to work the fields. We were there ALL day long and with the exception of the first game there was not one field, drug, raked or for that matter had anythng done to them for the remainder of the day as far as we could tell. I mean literally ZERO. The same diamond that we played an 11:00am game on (that was originally scheduled for 9:00am) and actually started at around noon, had NOTHING done to it until we played the semi final game on it at 5:00pm and two of our parents found a few rakes and actually made it look pretty decent. Mind you this diamond STILL had wet muddy spots on it after a full day of sun and a light breeze. We did not have that much rain. There was no excuse. Where were the people to work the diamonds?????? What were we paying for???

Finally I want to apologize to the parents, family members and friends who came out today to solidly support our team. I had no idea that we would have to keep you there until 11:30pm on a school night when your kids have Ohio Proficiency exams tommorrow. Especially given the fact that the tournament director left the site at around 6:00 or 7:00pm for the day. I answered your questions as best I could but the person who was in charge left no real plan to finish, and I'm sorry that you all had to suffer.

Now for some scores:

Pool Play: Ohio Wave 10
Scito Storm 1

1st Tournament Game:

Ohio Wave 8
Cincy Doom 0

Semi Final Tournament Game

Ohio Wave 12
Ridge Runners 3

I do not know the score of the other semi final game but the Sothern Ohio Outlaws defeated the Ohio Heat in a good game. Ohio Wave defeated the Ridge Runners 11 -3 to advance to the finals vs. the Southern Ohio Outlaws.

The final was:

Ohio Wave 12
Outlaws 8

The Outlaws have a very nice team. They are well coached, they pitched well and they never gave up right down the the final out. They played exactly like a team in the championship game should play. No doubt they will have some success this summer.

The umpiring overall was very good.

We will not be back to defend !

Nightmare 14u after a long day of waiting won 3 in a row to win the tournament. ?We were there in time for a 10am game (I think that was our original start time!) and did not play our first game until late afternoon...My family did not get to bed until after midnight :( ?

10u Lasers over the Cincy Doom 11-0 ( Championship ) Both teams were 3 - 0 after pool play. ( Sat. )

The only 10U scores I have are from our games:

Pool

Doom 5 Stingrays 2
Doom 7 Wave 3
Doom 18 Fusion 4

Bracket

Doom 7 Sting 5
Doom 18 Stingrays 6
Lasers 11 Doom 0

Congrats to the Lasers for the excellent tourney! ?Great girls, coaches, and fans. ?

Where were these games played?
In Fairborn? Close to the Wright Patterson Air strip?

Where were these games played?
In Fairborn? Close to the Wright Patterson Air strip?

They were played at the new Gateway complex in Dayton, VERY close to Fairborn.

I would like to add that it was a longer day than anyone can beleive. When you have to travel almost 2 hours to play and have to leave your house at 6:00 to play at 9:00 not knowing that it rained that makes a long day at the ball park. We made it home around 1:30am. We spent around 15 hours at the park. We would like to thank the Wave for a great final. We will not be back next year either.

Believe us fans when we say this tournament was worse than a nightmare over a 15 - 20 minute rain storm. We waited 26hrs. from the end of our game Sat. to game time Sun. The team shows up to warm up at 9:00am for our 10:00am game Sun. and we take the field at 6:00pm. I know we still need to work on a few things but 9hrs. of warm up time before our first tourney game is a bit much. Then as Rich had mentioned, who was running the tournament, our TD leaves the ballpark, must of had better things to do. I could go on and on forever but I won't. I do have one last thing, Goodluck to all the teams that were there this year, Wave and Outlaws very nice job at 10:00 to 10:30 at night and fans believe it or not, know body, from my understanding, brought the trophies to the field to pass out, the teams had to do the walk to get them - pretty damn bad!!!!!!!
Ohio Heat,
Paul

Paul, I knew you guys had to wait a long time but 9 hours is unreal. What frustrated us the most is how many times things changed. I was still calling people after 10:00pm on saturday about what our schedule was sunday morning, and then it changed again on sunday morning after we got information from you about what was really going on there. If I would have had my parents show up at 9:00am as scheduled they would have wasted an additional two hours. I was told that we were playing at 10:00 am, never heard any different, it was never posted anywhere differently. By the way we played our first game of the day sfter 12:00 noon. Keep in mind it only rained for 15 - 30 minutes at best. There should not have been that much trouble. If that is normal then I do not see many tournaments running on time or completeing there in the future. You have to be able to deal with a little bit of rain. After all this is Ohio and it is going to rain from time to time.

Regarding the trophies Paul, they were handed out at the lobby up in the main buliding. The umpires did tell us that during the game. I do not have any trouble with that. Actually it was about as much communication as we had all weekend long. Again I thought the umpires did a very good job and I only hope that they were treated better by both the staff at Gateway and by the TD.

What is a little upsetting though is the fact that we also played an indoor tournament their in December (the same one that you guys were in). Well we won that one as well but to this day gateway has never sent the trophies (or plaques in this case) even after 3 or 4 requests. We were told that they would get them to us a week or so after the event. As you know I could care less about that other then the expectation of credibility on thier part, but our 11 and 12 year old players take a different view. One that will stick with them for a good long time.

at least they got there grass cut yesterday, thats right, instead of taking care of there fields they had one grounds crew guy cutting grass.
The 14u Cincy Doom is still also waiting on our indoor league championship tee shirts. The Cincy Doom organization will not be back at a Gateway for any more of there events.

I can only give you the scores of our games on Sunday.
Outlaws-15 Quake-0
Outlaws-7 Stringrays-6
Outlaws-10 Ohio Heat-1
Finals- 12-8 Ohio Wave

I have five girls who play tournament ball, and I have been to alot of tournaments. I can't complain about the umpires, they were actually some of the best I have ever seen, and very nice people. Parents from the other teams were great, and so were the other teams. In another facility with a different director, it would have been a fun tournament. BUT- for it to rain on Saturday after we left for the day, and to have no one contact us or even post a rain delay, and to have no one even try to make the fields playable, and to drive up there to sit for 15 hours is unexcusable. We didn't get home until 1 in the morning. We were there from 8 am until 11:30pm. I will NEVER be at another tournament up there again!

tlg I thought that was ironic as well. They actually did a nice job on the grass cutting. Not really sure it needed it but it was amusing.

Actually what I found troubling is that they actually had staff there. They just simply had no idea what to do, and no leadership whatsoever. If they would have spent just a few dollars on some stay dry they would have been way ahead of the game. Or even if they would have raked in between games and between some innings the fields would have been in nice shape by mid day. They completely shut down one of the fields for the entire day. This is what really messed the schedule up. If they would have spent 30 to 45 minutes of work on that field they could have avoided 75% of their problems. Instead they decided to make sure that the grass did not get away from them.

The thing that started my crappy day besides the rain delay was when we finally was told it was time for our first game they came and told us then as we were starting to just toss the TD came up and ask how long it would be before we could get started and when I said my pitchers were just starting to toss. He said that 10 minutes would be fine. I don't know about the rest of you but a U-12 pitcher who had not even tossed should be ready in ten minutes he really don't have a clue. I told him that they needed at least a half hour. He thought I was being aggressive towards him and I informed him that they will not pitch without the proper warm up. I am not hurting a girl because they could not inform us better.

As far as teams go for the 10u, we got a chance to see the best teams and organizations in Ohio. As for the facilities and management they need to work on a lot of things. My team had fun and it was a great experience for us. We were lucky for our start time from what I have been reading and although we were supposed to play at 9:00 and never received any indication other wise we started at 11:00 with our first game.

But, to start the day on Field 3 and listen to the TD give a verbal warning to a coach that was only worried about her team and the conditions of the field, that is a little much. If they were that worried about starting on time and working the field then they should have started the night before or earlier than 9:00 am. It wouldn't have been touched if it weren't for the Ohio Wave and Stingrays coaches starting to work on it to begin with.

Fusion 10u

Oh, I'd like to add my 2 cents worth....lol

We showed up to our first game for my oldest daughter's game Sat morning and the field was so muddy that when our coach went out to the mound, he slid.

The umpires went out with the coaches and walked the field and I could see them all shaking their heads, obviously that the field wasn't ready to play on. ?The umpires were walking off the field when the TD approached and very loudly and gruffly asked "WHY HASN'T THIS GAME STARTED YET?" ?One of the officials said, "The field isn't playable" ?The TD said, and I quote, "That's BULLS**T!" ?I said to another mom, "Let's see him put his daughter out there". ?An umpire overheard me and said" Don't worry ma'am, those girls won't go on that field until it is acceptable" ?I was very glad to hear that.

We all understand that rain will delay and that it can be difficult to keep things running on time. Living in Ohio we have all learned to accept that. ?However, all the parents and especially the coaches were dismayed at the lack of communication.

My older dd was told to be at the field on Sun at 8am for a 9:00 game and did not play until after 2pm. ?The fields were never touched from what I could see. ?They tried to let the sun and wind do what they should have been doing before anyone got there.

When we arrived at 7:45 Sunday morning for my youngest dd's game and there was standing water on the field. ?Of course the pitcher's mound and the plate were the worst. ?But the entire field had not been touched! ?It stopped raining Sat nite and the sun even came out. ?There was no reason why the field should have standing water. ?It should have been "squeegee'd" off Sat nite, then at the CRACK of dawn, it should have been raked and that diamond dry stuff should have been put on or at least some dry dirt, sand, something. ?We were talking to another coach and he said he had to wait on someone to come and unlock the gate! ?Noone was even there before the coaches arrived. ?That is unacceptable. ?If you run a tournament, it should be your first priority that weekend, other than a funeral. But I'll tell you what, that stinkin' concession stand was open and the grass was being mowed and the guys were riding around changing the TRASH CANS! ?Like that was the most important thing. ?The TD almost kicked a coach out of the park for "complaing too much" about the fields. ?He told her that if she wanted them perfect that she should come back next week. ?All she wanted was a safe field for the players. ?There were parents raking the fields while a guy with a STAFF shirt on stood by and watched and then came over and instructed them on what to do next. ?The field then appeared to be top priority and was being worked on very hard. ?However, the diamond next to us was being played on with some standing water and very muddy. ?We were in awe. ?Then for the rest of the day neither field was touched AT ALL. ?Not even a rake or re-lined or anything. ?A rake would have done a great job with all the sun and light breeze we had going on. ?But nope, they had better things to do, like ride around on the golf cart and sit up in the building, and make sure that concession stand had plaenty of junk food in it.

And don't even get me started on the stinkin' concession stand crap. ?All these teams came from miles and miles away and were told after they arrived that they could NOT bring in thier coolers, and they couldn't even bring in bottled water! ?One parent said "then whtat am I supposed to do about drinking water for my daughter?" ?A guy at the gate said "I don't care, buy it at the concession stand, I guess, but you cannot bring that water in here" ?If the coaches had been told beforehand about this rule, then at least everyone wouldn't have been so surprised, but no one had a clue. ?It was a big deal to a lot of families. ?Not only is it costly to purchase food from the concession stand, the food consisted of very burnt hamburgers and hot dogs, and nachos that just sit on the players stomachs. ?Our girls like fresh fruit and nuts and granola bars. ?Not pop and candy. We should have a choice about what our kids eat, not be forced to eat cheap processed hot dogs and candy.

Both my dd's coaches have stated that they will not be returning. ?We have been to this tourney for the last 3 years, when it was in Fairborn by Wright-Patt, and we've always had a good tourney until this year. ?The facility was unacceptable, there was no communication, and our right to feed our children healthy food was taken away. We are ticked off.

It was a very disappointing start to the season.

softballmom34 not sure what team you are with but it seems like your coach definately has the players safety in mind. Sounds like the umpires and your head coach did the right thing.

Trust me what little rain we had should not have effected the play on sunday as much as it did. It was totally managable. Just required a little effort. If there would have been some effort, then I think that most people would look at the situation a little differently.

hang in there, you should not experience anything like this or the rest of the summer.