Fastpitch Softball Bats Aluminum and Composites! Were is the sweet spot?

Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Fastpitch Softball Bats Aluminum and Composites! Were is the sweet spot?

I've heard many different opinions on this question.

Can someone please explain, were is this sweet spot on a girls fastpitch softball bat?

Does the sweet spot change if the girls Fastpitch bats is Aluminum or Composites?

#TeamTSZ

Hitter

Reaction score
You can take a fishing line or shoe lace and tie it around the knob of the bat. Hold the string and let the bat head hang down and the knob is up.

I use a ball peen hammer and start at the end of the bat head and gently tap up the bat ( towards the knob) with the rounded end of the hammer. Keep moving the hammer up towards the knob and listen to the sound and feel the vibrations and notice how the bat moves when it is not at the sweet spot. When you hear the ping and feel the vibrations reduced, the ping will sound will increase. The thud sound will decrease and the ping sound will increase and the bat will not move as far. You can feel it while you are using the hammer. That ping sound indicates you are at the sweet spot. If you go about three inches up or down you are usually within the sweet spot area. At the middle of the sweet spot we put red tape from the middle up to the knob and blue tape to the middle down towards the knob.

Depending on how many wraps of tape/ layers you use on the bat, when struck will leave marks on the tape.

When doing the "Big Zone" drill you can see if the sweet spot is on or off the line.

Howard

FastBat

Reaction score
Composite- You can also take your finger nail and tap the bat every 1/8-1/4 inch of the barrel. Listen to the "tings", once they change-usually higher pitched, that's sweet spot. It's a few inches. When you see the bats with duck tape, on the barrel, they were working to hit in their sweet spot. The room must be very quite to hear it.

Aluminum- Pretty sure they don't have sweet spots, I'm not certain, LOL!

Last edited:

SMc4SMc

Reaction score
With the highest quality multi-piece composite bats has the sweet spot concept shifted so whereas tech has increased that area to where mechanics, timing, pitch (spin, speed, location), and so on are always factors, but the sweet spot is so extensive that "everyone" is a great hitter.

My experience with aluminum and lower quality one-piece composite bats caused search for the sweet spot which usually was a 12" softball size from the end of the top of the bat to about 2 of those softballs from the top of the neck, where the top hand rests for a bunt, unlike the quality composites where it feels great almost everywhere.

So, is the sweet spot on a high quality multi-piece composite bat a negligible factor, and a great hit, is a great hit?