Fee charged for tryout

TheHitKing

Reaction score
Just curious, has anyone ever heard of a “ fee “ in any amount being charged to tryout for an organization?...the “ Buckeye Charge “ have a post in the tryout section stating there will be a 10 dollar fee to tryout for their 11u and 12u teams...

Last edited:

TheHitKing

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, I see 2 organizations, “ Buckeye Charge “ and “ Pittsburgh Batbusters Demarini “ “ charging 10 and 20 dollars for tryouts and since I had never seen a fee previously I was curious if this was now the new normal..

Last edited:

josie

Reaction score
north central-northwest central-central ohio
I have a son who plays baseball and his team is disbanding and the first year my husband won't be coaching. So we've been looking and that seems to be common in the baseball world. If. You make the team, they subtract it from fees, but if you don't make it, oh well you are out the money. Which is too bad, wanted him to try out for a few different teams, but a couple of the teams I don't have an "in" so he'd be trying out on his own merit. Seems like a money grab and seems like they want to reduce the numbers of boys trying out. And makes me feel like if you don't know the right person, they just want your money. Ugh.

winward65

Reaction score
I have noticed this as well with this area , a $10 fee for a tryout. It’s about supply and demand . If I can tryout for a team of equal or better caliber for free .. then why would I pay 10$ for the same product ? I see this as more of deterrence then a selling point for a team/ organization. Travel ball is about numbers and paying to be evaluated for an hour or so ? I can do that for free all day

TheHitKing

Reaction score
Personally I would never pay a fee to tryout for a team. The teams in question here are the “ Buckeye Charge “ and the “ Pittsburgh Batbusters DeMarini “ posting tryouts in the tryout section, the coach of “ Buckeye Charge “ says it’s to make certain that only “ serious “ players who want to make a “ commitment “ attend the tryout. My question is what about players who do feel like that yet are not, in said coaches opinion, talented enough?..

Last edited:

streak22

Reaction score
tell them to take a hike outlaws dont charge and there the best team

manitoudan

Reaction score
Buckeye Charge as in " they charge fees for everything" Really folks I was just kidding , any org with the long successful history such as the Charge is going to charge a fee to keep the riff rap out . Ba Freaking Ha . Top 5 org wants to charge .. ok .. other than that its laughable .

Packrat

Reaction score
If you go down this road and pay the 10 then everyone will change a fee for tryouts. Travel ball cost to much as it is.

Packrat

Reaction score
Buckeye Charge as in " they charge fees for everything" Really folks I was just kidding , any org with the long successful history such as the Charge is going to charge a fee to keep the riff rap out . Ba Freaking Ha . Top 5 org wants to charge .. ok .. other than that its laughable .
But they don’t because they want as many girls they can get at tryouts. That’s how you find the best talent. Just common sense the more that show up the better selection you have to find the top players. That’s why the lasers have tryouts all over the state and surrounding states. Seems to work well for them

TheHitKing

Reaction score
I don’t understand the logic behind the comment the coach of “ Buckeye Charge “ posted in the tryout section in response to the question of why he is charging the fee...to say the fee is applied to make sure only “ committed “ and “ serious “ girls attend seems to be counter productive to having anyone show, much less those girls he’s seeking..as stated above by Manitoudan, even the top organizations do not charge a fee...

Last edited:

Run26

Reaction score
Players should charge teams to have them come to their tryouts. Without the players you have no coaches.

hammerhead20

Reaction score
I had one but actually didn't mind it. Paid $10. My daughter got a shirt with a number on it so the coaches could keep track of the kids easier. There was about 50 kids there. At the end of the tryout I could give the shirt back and get my $10 or keep the shirt. I think for the larger organizations that have a ton of girls tryout it makes sense.

okiedad1961

Reaction score
With the shortage of talented players out there I think it time to turn the tables ,how about we charge the orgs a viewing fee and we'll say it's just to see if the orgs are serious about having a stud player.

manitoudan

Reaction score
Does this org even exist this year ? or they a start up ? If they do exist this year what smashing success have they had to even attempt to draw out the " serious , committed players " ? Are they serious and committed yet as an organization ? Should I look for them at the Rays event ?