Catching and Catchers discussion Finding a good catcher vs. a good pitcher

Now that try-outs are about finished is it harder to find a good quality catcher than it is to find a good quality pitcher? ::)

I would say a great catcher will help win more games over the course of a season.Defensive mistakes are a killer.

I know pitching is so important in this game but you have girls lining up to be pitchers and odds are some of them will turn out good. But it is so tough to find that girl that not only has the skills but the heart to be a great catcher.

My daughter catches and pitches for her travel team and I would say trying to find a good catcher is harder than a good pitcher. We have been trying for two years to get her out from behind the plate and get more time on the mound but have not been able to find a replacement for her behind the plate as of yet.

a catcher is what we are looking for. we have three pitchers.

A good catcher is imperative to a team's success. Passed balls and lazy throws can kill a team's chance to win.

There are a lot of great pitchers. But great catchers are hard to find.

? I recently moved my first yr 10u daughter up to a 12u fallball team.
?She is a big girl that has really worked hard on her pitching.

?We all really appreciate a catcher ,..when it comes to throwing ,stopping the ball and being an animal at the plate.

?But ? I would also like to add how important a catcher is ,....as far as communicating with the pitching squad ,...pitch by pitch ,signal by signal , helping the pitcher keep the batter off balance.

? I guess I have always underestimated the impact a great catcher can have on a young developing pitcher.
? I would like to thank the catcher of my daughters team ,.....
My DD is throwing better every game ,..and I really think it was the catchers commitment to my DDs game .
?She took it upon herself to challenge her (Every Pitch ) and she is really stepping it up .

? The 12u girls we have faced , have yet to get a hit off my DD in 4 innings,.......and we owe a lot to the catcher for that .

? ? ? Thanks Sammy for your leadership and investment in Brianna.
You two make for a tough team !
?

Rod03,

Great post! ??

The pitcher/catcher "team" is so important to the success of not only those 2 girls, but more importantly, the entire team.

It takes a special person to be a well-rounded catcher. ??You can block everything that comes to you and throw girls out at second all you want, but if you do not support your pitcher, and work as a team, then the success is only partial. ??

A catcher must understand that it is the pitcher's job to throw different pitches that work around the zone where some are actually balls that could be called strikes or at least get the batter to swing, as well as the occassional fastball down the pike. ??And to not get frustrated when a pitch does not work at one given time and therefore refuse to call it again (that includes times when the coach is calling pitches, too).

To keep the pitcher calm if she is struggling (or if the defense is struggling) is also very important. ??

A good competitive/teamwork attitude is key - a bad self-absorbed attitude is detrimental, not only to the catcher, but also the pitcher and the entire team.

Thank you to all those good well-rounded catchers out there who are so important to the pitcher/catcher team, and the team as a whole!!! ??You are a rare and wonderful additional to any team!

There are a number of good pitchers out there, but a good well-rounded catcher is hard to find!

You need at least 2 good catchers plus a spare. Those hot, humid 4 or 5 games back to back Sundays will take a toll on catchers, especially if your pitcher isn't having a good control day.

it is hard for a catcher to be able to READ batters but a good catcher has to be able to read the batter, call the correct pitches, keep track of what batter in the order is standing in front of them, remember what this batter did the last time at bat, keep the pitcher "on track" or calm, take anything thrown at them and keep coming back, and take alot of abuse! A catcher is definitely a unique position and while I have seen teams just throw anyone in there when the need arose for an additional catcher, unless that girl is experienced and good at what is expected of a catcher - then it does a disservice to her as well as the entire team.

Catchers & pitchers are not that hard to find - GOOD catcher and GOOD pitcher are rare diamonds! So my vote - it is harder to find a good catcher ;)