Foul ball, collison

Shane

Reaction score
Batter hits a foul ball, not a high fly ball, 1/2 way in between home and 1st base. Batter/runner takes off for first base. 1st base girl moves forward to make a play. pitcher runs towards the ball and collides with the batter/runner in foul territory. ruling, in any? home plate umpire calls the batter/runner out. correct?

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Batter hits a foul ball, not a high fly ball, 1/2 way in between home and 1st base. Batter/runner takes off for first base. 1st base girl moves forward to make a play. pitcher runs towards the ball and collides with the batter/runner in foul territory. ruling, in any? home plate umpire calls the batter/runner out. correct?

There are some details we need to know to make a call here.

The first judgment the umpire needs to make is which fielder was actually fielding the ball. Only ONE gets protection from interference- the one most likely to field the ball or who is actually in the process of fielding it.

Once that decision is made, then you can start sorting through the rest of it.

Last edited:

Shane

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply BretMan2, pretty certain a determination was not made as to which player was most likely to make the play. When asked for an explanation, the home plate umpire simply offered offensive interference. Watching the video it seems pretty clear the batter/runner was aware of the first base girls movement towards the ball and the 2 were going to avoid each other. The pitcher came from the batter/runner's left and collided with the batter/runner with no real opportunity for the batter/runner to avoid both defensive players. Thanks again!

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply BretMan2, pretty certain a determination was not made as to which player was most likely to make the play. When asked for an explanation, the home plate umpire simply offered offensive interference. Watching the video it seems pretty clear the batter/runner was aware of the first base girls movement towards the ball and the 2 were going to avoid each other. The pitcher came from the batter/runner's left and collided with the batter/runner with no real opportunity for the batter/runner to avoid both defensive players. Thanks again!

I guess if the umpire called interference, then that kind of tells us what he thought!

The reason I asked about which fielder was actually in the act of fielding the ball, or was the one most likely to, is because only that one single fielder is protected from interference. For instance, if the umpire judged that F3 was the protected fielder, then F1 colliding with the runner would be obstruction, with an award of first base.

Shane

Reaction score
Taking this one step further, in the event the same crazy play occurs again, even with the ball in foul territory, if the umpire determines F3 to be protected and F1's collision would be obstruction, batter/runner is awarded first base?

Comp

Reaction score
Taking this one step further, in the event the same crazy play occurs again, even with the ball in foul territory, if the umpire determines F3 to be protected and F1's collision would be obstruction, batter/runner is awarded first base?

On a fly ball, if the ball is caught the obstruction is ignored and the out made on the batter/runner would stand. You also would not award 1st base on a foul ball.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Yes, good catch...no base award on a foul ball. My answer was geared toward a fair ball.

backstop09

Reaction score
...with no real opportunity for the batter/runner to avoid both defensive players.

I was not there and didn't see this happen. But, based on the situation as described by the OP, I am curious as to why the batter/runner didn't just stop. Had she done so, she would not have interfered with anyone and it is possible that her turn at bat would have continued if the foul ball was not caught. Instead, she ran into the middle of the action and caused the umpire to have to make a determination whether or not she interfered. Should have probably just stayed where she was.

Shane

Reaction score
I was not there and didn't see this happen. But, based on the situation as described by the OP, I am curious as to why the batter/runner didn't just stop. Had she done so, she would not have interfered with anyone and it is possible that her turn at bat would have continued if the foul ball was not caught. Instead, she ran into the middle of the action and caused the umpire to have to make a determination whether or not she interfered. Should have probably just stayed where she was.

My best guess, the batter/runner is 11 and has been taught on contact put your head down and run until you hear foul ball from the umpire.

Spartandad

Reaction score
We keep pitchers in the circle for the most part...one less issue, or potential issue, for defensive players and whose call it is.