GAPSS & Rain?

Is it raining in Columbus and if so, how are the fields looking?

Despite all the rainy forcasts ,...Columbus has not received much rain . Things look good as of today .

Had a little rain the couple of days, but nothing on the radar at the moment. I haven't talked to anyone up there today, but the fields were pretty dry to start with so they should be in pretty good shape now.

All,

Sorry it took so long to respond....been a ?long day....

Here are some observations....

Our 17 fields are in the best condition I have seen them for a long time. ?We have been working on the fields all summer, and it seems the effort is paying off. ?Most of the fields are draining very well, and the ones that don't drain all that great, we are treating them daily with soil conditioner & water absorber soil.

We have kept tarps on all 17 fields for the last 3 days (home plate, bases, pitcher, catcher). ? We had a little rain today, but overall it hasn't been bad. ?Hope it stays that way. ?Weather report doesn't sound too bad.

Look forward to seeing everyone this weekend.....And those that don't come in 2005, hopefully the reviews on Monday morning will be good enough to get you to visit us in 2006. ?Good luck to all teams.

Mike Flanagan
GAPSS

ps, i will try and update everyone as the tournament progresses. Thanks for your interest.

Well, for all of us people out there tonight, we can talk from experience, the weather is not very good. It was rainy and very humid, with lightning delays and even imaginary lightning delays only on one field. ?I do not know what tomorrow will bring, but if it was like today, i would not go far from home without that umbrella!!!!

Agreed about the umbrella and shelter. however, I do feel GAPSS is making every effort to keep things going forward. We may all be in for a long weekend if this weather keeps up. But hey, it is better then sitting at home. Plus, I am on vacation for a week!! Hanging out at Micky D's is or can be just as much fun if there are any delays. I may even try the Sun Flower chinese place on Sawmill which is a great place to eat if there are any delays. Anyone else have any suggestions on great places to eat? Keep up the hard work GAPSS. Your doing great!!

Classics 10U

Well, this thread has unfortunately been prescient. We're in rain delays now, but GAPSS is doing an excellent job of doing whatever can be done with the fields. They had probably 20 people working on one field at Olentangy High School.

all remaining saturday games rained out....call the Rain phone number for more information and updates 614-777-2222, ext. 6928

Due to the rain, any team from the U10 who was in the losers bracket (had one loss) has now been told that they will not be playing and they are just out of the tourny. ?Is this fair? ?All teams should get equal opportunity to win the tourny. Is this happening in any other age group?

yep, all age groups have that rule,basically cut 2 games out of the run for the championship

If the minimum game guarantee has not been met, will partial refunds be paid out to those teams?

All age brackets are now single elimination. ?We tried our best today and it was no match against Mother Nature. ?Our crews were up at 4am Saturday morning trying to get all the fields ready after hard rains came overnight after Friday's pool games were complete.......Of the 17 fields, 14 started at 8am, and 3 fields had a 2 hour delay. ?If there is anyone out there who feels we don't try to ?make the fields playable, then they haven't seen our crews work.

We felt we had everything back ?under control in the early afternoon after it rained on the East venues pretty hard. ?Anyone who was at OHS saw the amount of people we had working the fields and diamond dry being used. ? ?Then ?the monsoons hit and dumped ?so much water that not even our crews could stay up with it. ? We do try and get everybody to play....

After 2 hours of meetings with myself and TD ?and ASA , we decided to make it a single elimination tournament. ?Anyone who knows myself and TD, knows that we wanted to keep it double elimination (we thought of every imaginable scenerio, but we felt teams would not want to play for championship at 1am on Monday morning). ? We lost 84 games today. ?I know some teams won't be happy, and I certainly can appreciate that. ? ? There are 17 fields we use, and it is a daunting task to say the least to get them all ready within a time frame that left us with 4 hours of daylight, with most of those hours spent trying to get them in shape enough to play ball.

I can now take the arrows, and won't shy back down from any comments. ? I just thought some people would like to know our train of thought.

Mike Flanagan
ATD GAPSS

VERY unfortunate. I was led to believe that this was a first class, very well ran tourny. My team in particular was really given the shaft. After losing our 2nd round game 7-6 in an inrternational tie-braker; which by the way was due to some very crappy umpiring( the worst I have seen in seven years in ASA) we sat around for two hours to be told to go home and call a rain-out #!!!!! We did just that and were then told to stay home we only care about the winners bracket???????

Mike, honestly thought that you ran a BETTER tourny than this!! I know that you cannot control the weather but to eliminate the losers bracket ...... BAD CHOICE

Please reply to me personaly I know who you are and respect your opinion on this

Cincy Chill

Mike -

You could have at least offered some kind of a refund to the teams who didn't complete the four game guarentee couldnt you??? You made a ton of money on this tourny to give a little back would be the right thing to do. Believe me I talked to several people your umpires sure didnt deserve the cash!!!!!

Cincy Chill

Per tournament rules, there are no refunds.

Cincy Chill, we try and run a first class tournament. Sorry you don't feel that way. If there is someone out there who can re-schedule 84 lost games in one day and keep it double elimination, please let me know. We are trying our best.

Made a ton of money? ?If we can't keep this at least civil, without comments about things that you have no idea about, then I won't be responding with comments. ?Maybe this is why most tournament directors don't come on these sights and reply.

84 lost games today and how many more lost games from dropping every losers bracket? All of those games times two umps per game and how much money is that?

Well, it is very unfortunate. The facilities and staff were great while it lasted. I would rather have seen shortened loser's bracket games. Better luck next year.

this really isn't directed at this tournament or whoever is running it but to me its all about the money and thats too bad .asa, nsa, usssa, tournaments, showcases, someones making money off all this. now we play fridays and thursdays. this has become a business .its hard to have a job if your DD is good at softball.at one time i bet it really was all about the girls.

"84 lost games today and how many more lost games from dropping every losers bracket? All of those games times two umps per game and how much money is that? "

Purple Jack hit the nail on the head with this statement. I don't have enough fingers and toes to count the amount of money this tournament will be putting into somebodies organization.

When you send teams home at 4:00 in the afternoon and cancel the entire losers bracket at 7:15 pm...how hard are you trying to get all you games in? Last year they played games at midnight under the lighted fields to make it work. I didn't see anyone working on the fields tonight when I drove by.
Yes, THanks to the field crews who got up at 4 am to work on the fields to make them playable today...but if they "poop out" at 4 in the afternoon....c'mon now....where's your heart. Last year my team played in a tournament in Marion that was completely washed out on Saturday and they still got all their games in on Sunday before night fall because they don't have lights down there...and they had 13 fields that they had to make playable.
I just feel there were many other options out there to look at (ie. shorten the loser bracket games, or play them late tonight under the light) or many others before you decide to CANCEL games as early as 7:15! I'm just glad I'm not from out of state.
Maybe you should be spending a little more time working on your fields and a little less time typing on the internet.