GAPSS REGISTRATION UPDATE

As promised, listed below are the registrations we have rec'd as of July 1, ??2005 ?for our July 15-17, 2005 tournament. If you have sent in your form and $$, and don't see your teams name, pls get a hold of me right away at flanagan9of9@aol.com

If you are interested in the tournament, please visit our website www.gapss.org ?

We will have 102 teams in our tournament this year. It should be a fun tournament again! Thanks for your support.

10u GAPSS teams-(12 teams)-Closed-waiting list available
Ashland Sparks
Buckeye Heat
City Ball Heat (Pennsylvania)
Gahanna Lady Lions
GFOD Thunder
Ohio Classics
Lady Lasers Silver
Ohio Dragons
Olentangy Braves (host team)
Westerville Ice
Worthington Spirit-Boortz
Worthington Spirit-Montgomery

12u GAPSS teams (18 teams)-Closed-Waiting List available
Ashland Smoke
Buckeye Heat
Central Ohio Stingrays- Gray
Central Ohio Stingrays- Blue
Cincinnati Doom
Compuware
GFOD Thunder
Heart of Ohio Flames
Hilliard Cats
Lady Buckeyes- Lima, Oh
Lady Lasers Green
Lady Lasers Orange
Ohio Classics
Ohio Ice
Teays Valley
Turbos (Host team)
Westerville Ice
Y-City Rockers

14u GAPSS teams (24 teams) Closed--Waiting List available
Buckeye Heat-Price
Central Ohio Lady Rebels
Central Ohio Stingrays- Cottrell
Central Ohio Stingrays- Gillian
Cincinnati Chill
Compuware
Elyria Sundogs
Explosion Red
FC Mustangs
GFOD Thunder
GFOD Thunder-Silver
Hilliard Cats Black
Lady Buckeyes-Lima, Oh
Lady Irish Gold
Lady Lasers Purple
Oakland Sidewinders (Michigan)
OFC Heat-Orange
Ohio Ice White
Ohio Lady Rage
Turbos (Host team)
Valley Extreme Red
Westerville Ice-Broyles
Westerville Ice-Wamsley
Y-City Rockers

16u GAPSS teams (24 teams) Closed-Waiting List available
Amherst Lightning (New York)
Buckeye Heat- Abraham
Buckeye Heat- Pierce
Buckeye Heat- Rasor
Central Ohio Stingrays-Truex
Cincinnati Elite-White
Diamond Dodgers (Tennessee)
FC Mustangs
GFOD Thunder -Galligher
Heart of Ohio Crusaders
Heart of Ohio Sliderz
Hilliard Cats Black
Hilliard Cats Blue
Lady Buckeyes-Lima, Oh
Lady Lasers Blue
Marion Lady Rebels
Metro Express (Pennsylvania)
Miami Valley Crushers
North Ohio Heat
OFC Heat
Ohio Ice Blue
Ohio Swarm
Turbos (Host team)
Westerville Ice

?18u GAPSS teams (24 teams) Closed-Waiting List available)
Angels with Attitude
Buckeye Heat
Buckeye Sting
Central Ohio Lady Rebels- Orahood
Central Ohio Lady Rebels- Smith
City Ball Heat (Pennsylvania)
Coke On Ice
GFOD Thunder-Leady
GFOD Thunder-Ruhl
Heart of Ohio Bravehearts
Heart of Ohio Fire
Heart of Ohio Heartbreakers
Heart of Ohio Inferno
Lady Buckeyes-Lima, Oh
Lady Lasers Red
Lake Erie Waves
Metro Express (Pennsylvania)
Miami Valley Crushers
Ohio Classics-Pearsall
Ohio Classics-Phillips
Ohio Dragons
Valley Extreme
West Penn Gems (Pennsylvania)
West Va Dusters

We will update this list as often as possible.

Regards, Mike Flanagan Atd GAPSS

Ps,

All teams have been sent emails about balance due and when it is due.

Thank you for all your support and loyalty. ??We are adding new concessions, better communication, and of course tons of diamond dry (hopefully we won't have to use it!)

Mike

As of November 9, we have closed the 16u division.
As of November 16, we have closed the 14u divison
As of December 7, we have closed 12u & 18u divisions
As of December 16, we have closed the 10 u divison

WAITING LIST AVAILABLE....contact td@gapss.org with team name and divison.

Classics,

yes there is a waiting list.

if you would like to, email td@gapss.org with your contact info and we will add you to the list.

thanks

Mike Flanagan, ATD GAPSS

Mike,
Is there still room in the 18 and under bracket? I have tried to e-mail both you and Greta but it is returned to me. If you could let me know I would appreciate it. My e-mail address is charlesm@ridgeviewacademy.org
Thanks,
Chuck Myers

Chuck,

No openings left in the 18u division. ?I have sent you a personal email. ?Not sure why we haven't gotten your emails, we get about 10 a day at gapss.org, so I am not sure why yours got lost.

Thanks,

Mike Flanagan
ATD GAPSS

As of December 16, update:

ALL DIVISIONS CLOSED.

We do have waiting lists available for all divisions. ?Email td@gapss.org with team name, division, and email contact.

Thanks!

Mike Flanagan
ATD GAPSS

There are waiting lists available for all divisions. Please email td@gapss.org with team name and division.

Thanks!

flanagan9of9, Looks like great competition for all divisions. Good luck and may the weather gods smile on your tournament.

Thanks wvan....Our goal is to make this a well run, very competitive tournament played on nice fields. Being in Columbus seems to draw some pretty good competition from all areas. Now, about that rain....well, at least the teams from last year know that we try our hardest to get you to play, come rain or sun.

As of December 16, all divisons are full. Waiting lists are available....email td@gapss.org with team name, division, and contact info.

Thanks to everyone for their support. GAPSS wishes everyone a nice Holiday.

Mike Flanagan
ATD GAPSS

Mike,

Since all divisions are now officially closed. Could you please give us a new listing with all the new and old teams per division as you did in your intial post? Thanks so much. We're looking forward to seeing you again this summer.

Ultimate,

the names of the current teams are listed above. ??I have been updating them as I get them, so the list above is most recent.

We have roughly 22 (16u) teams on the waiting list. ??We could have had a tournament just for 16u's alone, I think. ??This division seems like the most popular. ??Do most people agree?

I look forward to seeing everyone ??in the summer, although I am not familiar with you Ulimate..... Send me an email, I will watch out for you!

Mike

flan

16u has always been an exciting division. Seems like most of the teams have girls who are pretty serious about the game, hence more teams? I think all divisions have great teams, but 16u without a doubt has more teams to pick from

Mike:

22 (16u teams) on a waiting list....wow. Sounds like you are doing something right to have created that kind of interest.

Have you considered, in the future, weighting the field towards the older divisions or simply eliminating the younger divisions or having them play on separate weekends?

If your primary purpose is to attract college coaches to the older divisions, it would seem they would be more apt to come if there were 102 (16's&18's) vs. 48.

Soleprop,

This is a very good point. Let me try to address it with a few points:

GAPSS was founded as a tournament so that 10s,12s,14s,16s,and 18s would have a nice tournament to go to in the Columbus area. Having said that, there is no way that we would ever have just a 16u & 18u tourney.

Now, what I forsee in the future, with the ok of the GAPSS board, is to have the GAPSS tournament on 2 different weekends. Say, the 10s, 12s and 14s on one weekend and the 16s and 18s on the other weekend. This would permit us to have more teams entered (the 16u "problem" this year) and make it a weekend totally of 16s and 18s (your valid point, so that more college coaches get more players to look at).

We are also working with ASA to become a national qualifier. I think they liked our venue last year, liked the idea that we work our butts off to make sure teams play in bad weather, and playing on decent fields with friendly volunteers to assist everyone. Becoming a national qualifier takes time, and it is in our future vision to become a NQ for ASA. Will it be at all levels? In time perhaps, but we hope that we can start with the 16s and work from there.

I would like other opinions of this "vision" that we have. OFC helped us a great deal getting our tourney off the ground, and we are all ears when it comes to having a better venue for everyone involved.

Mike Flanagan
ATD GAPSS

Mike:

Just as I was reaching for the "reply" button, I realized there was a second page of postings. THANK YOU. This tournament, as are most tournaments, is about softball, not college recruitment.

My 11-year-old daughter works just as hard as a high school senior, perhaps without understanding that there is an end game that could help put her through college.

However, my best advice for parents who are looking to improve their daughter's chance to get into college: get an algebra tutor.

Sideliner,

I like the algebra idea. Seems like academics sometimes takes a back seat to our "student athlete" definition. Whatever direction you want to point your DD in is fine with us, we just want the girls to have fun and make their summer season a more memorable one. ?If we can help make them get noticed, and play softball beyond high school, then I think our tournament, besides being fun, will have met its objectives.

Flan - take it from me...keep going the way you are. ?When you guys first started your event I applauded your effort saying the area needed MORE large events. ?These events do nothing but improve the opportumities for all fastpitch players, especially those in the area where the tourney is held. ?We were approached about moving our event more toward the upper age groups a couple of years ago. ?While it would have increased the status of our event it did not improve the event for EVERYONE involved. ?The first few years of growth are awesome. ?Stick to your 5 year plan and be the best tourney possible, not the best at what others want you to be.

OhioRays,

I understand your points and agree wholeheartedly. ?While many people thought we bit off more than we could chew last year, with 96 teams, I think we proved we can handle a larger venue, thus keeping the younger brackets. ? ?Now we need to continue to improve on what we have done well and where we made mistakes. ?

My personal feeling is, while we want to attract the college coaches and make our tournament a feeding ground for recruiting, we need to keep in mind the younger ages...it is a directive from GAPSS board that we maintain the younger ages, while working on the 16s and 18s for the college coaches. ? All good organizations have vision plans that they are working on, and we are working on our 5-10 year plan as we speak. ? ?GAPSS plans on being around a long time, and changes will be made each year to improve the overall venue.

One of the comments made to me, is that multiple-team organizations (organizations that have teams in the 10s,12s,14s,16s,18s, etc) want tournaments where ALL their teams can play at the same tournament on the same weekend. ? I think teams like this concept as it permits the 18s to watch the 12s and vice versa, producing a cohesion in the organization. ? This is an interesting point that needs addressed as we grow. ?Some decisions will be made that people may not understand, but we are weighing all the pros and cons as we grow. ?Running a tournament is pretty interesting, isn't it? ? Like you said, it is important that we are keeping competitive softball in Columbus, which is very important to us locals.