Gate fees are getting out of hand

Deen59

Reaction score
Attention TD's, when posting your tournaments, please post if there will be gate fees and how much. I doubt anyone likes to be surprised with the gate fees a week before the tournament starts, I know I don't. Some gate fees are out of hand, by the time the parents pay the gate fees, it will total the amount of the tournament fee or maybe a little more. My example is our tournament for next week: $5 per adult each day, $3 for kids 6+ and kids 5 and under free. We play Friday, Saturday and Sunday, each player has 2 parents and a couple siblings. It's not hard to do the math on this one, parents will be paying $30+ for the weekend. I understand some gate fees are out of the TD's control, all I'm asking for is more of a heads up, so I can ease the parents into it and not have to tell them a week before the tournament, there's gate fees for every day. Some parents get a tad bit miffed. Now, if you will excuse me, I have to try and outrun the parents with the torches and pitchforks. :D

Pitch Perfect

Reaction score
And it's not enough to charge admission, but ban coolers or outside food trying to force you to buy concessions. I'll consider concessions when they offer healthier options for our players!!

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
Daughter used to catch and we'd bring a cooler of rags for her and they'd say you can't bring that in..... I'd say give me the correct spelling of your name so when she goes into heat stroke you're the first name getting sued..... They'd go alright go ahead......

The3dm

Reaction score
Somewhere between reality and winning the lottery.
It all boils down to whether the tournament is being held to raise $ or to put on an experience. When I ran tournaments (ASA Maple Leaf, ASA Cinderella Classic) every decision started with thinking about the experience of the attendees. I am not saying that we didn't want to make money, just that we wanted people to want to come back next year. I had to turn teams away every year because I had no more room. I consider that as the ultimate barometer that we were doing something right.

A good TD will solicit complaints and take action on them (if it is reasonable). Also, a good coach will provide constructive feedback to a TD and not just bash them on a forum. I personally learned a lot from the coaches (and families) that attended my tournaments. Maybe someday I'll run a tournament again or publish a book on how to run a good tournament. I know I can come on here and get a ton of ideas of what people are looking to see in a quality event.

Fastball19

Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Last year, Victory Park said they had moved the gate fees to $5 for the one tournament in the fall because they did not have any beer sales going on that weekend. The next tournament there was a $5 gate fee still AND they had beer sales! doh! hahaha Also, I think they give every team a Friday night game just so they can rake the parents over the coals for another $5 gate fee one more day!

FastBat

Reaction score
Head coaches need to ask about gate fees or see it in print when selecting tournaments. I collected gate fees for the organization my dd played for one mother's day, I will never forget how terrible it was, parents complained like crazy. Don't kill the messenger parents, know before you go!

Long Baller

Reaction score
Funny...for how money grubbing club soccer is, I never once had to pay a gate fee to watch my daughter play.

Reaction score
Website
WWW.OHIOBULLDAWGSELITE.COM
Had a daughter do competition cheer, paid $10-$15 per person to walk in every arena or gym. I go to HS football games, pay $5-7 for every game.

While I agree if the tournament isn't pouring money into it then they should not be gouging at the gate, do the math. Softball alone will not make you rich. Consider every game played with 2 umps is a minimum $70x a 4 game guarantee and factor in those teams that end up playing 5-9 games it's not much to ask a reasonable gate charge IF you are putting it back to a good cause or into a park or even an organization! Berliner for example, $5 per car. But look at all the upgrades and equipment Columbus is pouring into that park to make it an enjoyable experience. Breast cancer research donations, scholarships, better parks so we have a place to play. For those tournaments who don't charge, great for you. But for those who do and who work hard and volunteer their own free time and put money to a good cause, even if it's their own softball program, you won't hear me complain 1 time. its worth it to me as a 100% volunteer non parent coach at the end of my 10th summer. As a matter of fact when I factor in gas $, food on the go, hotels, wear and tear on my brick dust covered SUV I've put over 8,000 miles on this summer (and haven't even left for Nationals yet) a gate fee is about the least of my contributions. I love this game and am thankful for every day Mother Nature allows us to enjoy it. If you told me I could go back and coach my own daughter or even watch her play again I would pay $100 for that ticket! Think about that

Why don't you all just assume there is a gate fee and if not you get a couple extra walking tacos that weekend.

Last edited:

Chad Strahler

Reaction score
Had a daughter do competition cheer, paid $10-$15 per person to walk in every arena or gym. I go to HS football games, pay $5-7 for every game.

While I agree if the tournament isn't pouring money into it then they should not be gouging at the gate, do the math. Softball alone will not make you rich. Consider every game played with 2 umps is a minimum $70x a 4 game guarantee and factor in those teams that end up playing 5-9 games it's not much to ask a reasonable gate charge IF you are putting it back to a good cause or into a park or even an organization! Berliner for example, $5 per car. But look at all the upgrades and equipment Columbus is pouring into that park to make it an enjoyable experience. Breast cancer research donations, scholarships, better parks so we have a place to play. For those tournaments who don't charge, great for you. But for those who do and who work hard and volunteer their own free time and put money to a good cause, even if it's their own softball program, you won't hear me complain 1 time. its worth it to me as a 100% volunteer non parent coach at the end of my 10th summer. As a matter of fact when I factor in gas $, food on the go, hotels, wear and tear on my brick dust covered SUV I've put over 8,000 miles on this summer (and haven't even left for Nationals yet) a gate fee is about the least of my contributions. I love this game and am thankful for every day Mother Nature allows us to enjoy it. If you told me I could go back and coach my own daughter or even watch her play again I would pay $100 for that ticket! Think about that

Why don't you all just assume there is a gate fee and if not you get a couple extra walking tacos that weekend.

Well said, couldn't agree more. We just always assume either way and have the e tea cash in hand if not.

wow

Reaction score
If you think travel ball is bad try Gymnastics out.. $15 or more per person per day...

The extra Friday game is the one that I don't get. Yes its a schedule issues but don't charge for it.

Reaction score
Agree with Impact that this is the least expensive of the total cost of the weekend. At the same time, I also understand the viewpoint of the OP, not as much about the cost of the gate fees, but the fact that they were not being announced well in advance. That needs to be known at the time the coach is considering that tourney, because that may be a factor for some teams when considering tourneys.

Reaction score
Website
WWW.OHIOBULLDAWGSELITE.COM
Agree with the communication CZ, however I can't remember ever taking a gate fee into consideration when entering a tournament nor have I had a parent complain or suggest that be considered. We consider: # teams, competition, exposure, location, park amenities, sanction, entry fee, #of fields, cause- in no order but never has a gate fee been a factor. But perhaps I'm in the minority.

daboss

Reaction score
Okay, time for a reality check!!!!

Tournaments are held to make money. WHAT????? That's right people. Gate fees are simply another gimmick to make money. They draw you in with a reasonable entry fee, then dink you by making up the difference with a gate fee. Bottom line; if you can't afford it you have 2 choices. Don't play travel ball or try to fish out tourneys without hidden fees. Good luck with that one and remember you get what you pay for.

Concessions are figured into the potential income of a tournament. In many cases the concession profits are the difference between making any money at all or losing money. Umpire fees plus field rentals keep going up as others keep ripping the profits away from those trying to offer you that "experience" you want. Soon as anybody gets wind that there's money to be made they up the ante and create the runaway snowball effect that has you complaining.

People, save you breath and go buy a hot dog for God's sake! Most parks have reasonably priced food. most organizations offer fruit for those that believe meat is unhealthy. (Watch it, I farm for a living!) Most of the time the stuff offered to you wouldn't be any more expensive than you spending the time to go get all the stuff you need, a grill, charcoal, lighter fluid, cups, napkins, ect and have your picnic. Let's be real here. It's not the prices most of the time but the experience you want. I get it but not every place wants a hot grill in the area where the kids are warming up or having some down time between the games that are the real reason you are there to begin with. Remember; it could be somebody got hurt or somebody threw the ashes out where they shouldn't forcing a HazMat clean up. People ruin good things and others are forced to make decisions against it.

I have not been to a field complex yet that didn't allow some form of insulated bag or small cooler with iced down towels for the kids. Some may require it go inside with the coaching staff and be inspected for contents but they normally allow it. You are probably wrong to believe it is not allowed. Talk to your coaching staff as they may be aware of some park rules you hadn't been told about.

Look, we all want that warm fuzzy feeling here and in a perfect world perhaps all sports would be like s*****r but why not admit we can't have everything. Your constant complaining will be answered but you won't like that either. Prices will go up somehow. If they allow a picnic, the gates fees or parking fees or tourney fees will reflect the loss. And while this is happening a hot dog will still be the best buy at the park. I'll take mine with relish....

Last edited:

brownsfan

Reaction score

This is exactly what I do now. I never know when there are gate fees and how much. I carry what I'm going to assume a full weekend price which generally runs $15.00. If I don't need it, I'm disciplined enough NOT to spend it on concessions as money to me doesn't grow on trees and I hold onto for the next weekend. By the end of the summer if I have the cash, then I buy a couple of walking tacos OR buy my DD a bow since she doesn't want T-shirts anymore.

TheGeneral

Reaction score
Glad to hear someone finally bring this problem up......

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is exactly what I do now. I never know when there are gate fees and how much. I carry what I'm going to assume a full weekend price which generally runs $15.00. If I don't need it, I'm disciplined enough NOT to spend it on concessions as money to me doesn't grow on trees and I hold onto for the next weekend. By the end of the summer if I have the cash, then I buy a couple of walking tacos OR buy my DD a bow since she doesn't want T-shirts anymore.

This is totally foreign to me lol

poden-smoden

Reaction score
The solution is to not take your whole family. Also, you can find an old Lasers t-shirt from just about any garage sale in Ohio. Put one on and jump the fence!! Works every time!

Dougk30

Reaction score
\

We have to be disciplined to be browns fans. lol

fpitchdad

Reaction score
I crack up every time I hear bitching and crying about gate fees. Those same people bitching about that are people that will pay 250-300 a month for their kids to have these high tech cell phones.....lol. Its only money folks, can't take it with you. Hell I saw Hitter23 at the concession stand just about every time his team went out on defense this past weekend, we had special food carriers made for him and his first base coach....:)