Catching and Catchers discussion Girl Softball - Lefty Catcher

Admin

Administrator
Reaction score
Has anyone seen successful softball lefty catcher?

If so at what level?

Travel Ball, College?

I've seen a few lefty at 3rd base and short stop. But only one left handed catcher at the Travel Ball level.

#TeamTSZ

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
I must give a shout out to our very own Autumn Acord. She does a great job as a lefty catcher and, there are not many girls I have seen over the last decade or so that play the game with the fire, passion, and grit that this young lady does.

Oh by the way I do not think being left handed hurts her as a catcher at all, and as unbelievable as it is to me she plays third base better then most right handed girls her age. (And yes believe me I know as she goes on to college she will not play there.)

Proud to have you as a Outlaw Autumn !
Warren

Last edited:

coachtomv

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
I must give a shout out to our very own Autumn Acord. She does a great job as a lefty catcher and, there are not many girls I have seen over the last decade or so that play the game with the fire, passion, and grit that this young lady does.

Oh by the way I do not think being left handed hurts her as a catcher at all, and as unbelievable as it is to me she plays third base better then most right handed girls her age. (And yes believe me I know as she goes on to college she will not play there.)

Proud to have you as a Outlaw Autumn !
Warren

Our Outlaws team is blessed with, in our humble opinion, "2" of the best lefty catchers (or righty) at the age level with Autumn Acord and Sammi Adams. Catching is one of our deepest positions. Having 2 lefty's is probably very rare, lol. :)

WWolff

"Suck A Little Less Today"
Reaction score
Website
www.D1fastpitch.com
Our Outlaws team is blessed with, in our humble opinion, "2" of the best lefty catchers (or righty) at the age level with Autumn Acord and Sammi Adams. Catching is one of our deepest positions. Having 2 lefty's is probably very rare, lol. :)

Wow my bad. Sammi is Awesome and truly blessed young lady with a wonderful family. Not just a great catcher but one heck of a hitter and center fielder.

daboss

Reaction score
They will do fine. The debate can go on forever but talent and willpower will prevail. Ask any baserunner that's been thrown out at 2nd after the coach sent her because the catcher is a lefty.

Klump

Reaction score
A lefty can absolutely catch!! I have a lefty catcher, my husband has a great lefty catcher at 12u, and we've both instructed many lefty catchers. If they have it, they have it. Which hand they throw with doesn't mean anything.

rico23

Reaction score
Wheeling Central High School has a very good left handed catcher. She will probably make all state as a sophomore at that position.

Justamom

Reaction score
12U Ice Red has a wonderful lefty catcher. It doesn't hold her back at all.

FastBat

Reaction score
I love hearing about successful lefty's in softball. I wish more coaches would be open to atleast letting them attempt to play positions forbidden for lefty's. To me if you want to win, play the best 9, not play the best 5 righty's in the infield and the rest of the positions could be a lefty!

I'm glad to see those catchers, were given a chance, and not discouraged because of "old school" thinking. It's just not right, but kudos to them!

Westler33

Reaction score
This is not baseball and the unwritten rule of no lefty catchers because I have seen a few lefty catchers and lefty middle IF that can hold their own with the right handed players (let them play).

CoachLucas

Reaction score
Lasers black 12u lefty.....too small,too young but Nasty!

MD 20/20

Reaction score
This is not baseball and the unwritten rule of no lefty catchers because I have seen a few lefty catchers and lefty middle IF that can hold their own with the right handed players (let them play).

I'll agree and disagree with this at the same time. While a lefty can do the job (I myself am a lefty) it comes with different obstacles. The reason that lefty catchers don't happen in baseball is due to the lack of lefty hitters coming up through the ranks. If you look at the big leagues though you will find the number of lefties vs righties gets significantly closer, but not while they would have been developing their catching skills. Can a lefty do it? Sure, but they will be a tenth or a few slower to 2nd base due to different footwork. again, they will be slower throwing to 3rd due to turning the shoulders to throw, but they will be faster to 1st.

I know that lefties can play all over, and I have seen Ms. Acord play. She's a gamer no doubt. Lefty or no lefty, I would take her on my team in a second and never look back. Her leadership skills and intensity is what puts her on the next level in my book. She does all the little things and even tries to pick up my signs at 3rd. (I think she is at least) The only issue I have with the lefty infielders (other than 1st) is balls to their right and or balls that we need to charge hard on. As we get older, and the players get faster we all know what .25 seconds can mean to a runner home to 1st. You cannot throw to 1st without turning your shoulders 90 degrees and that takes time. There is no one more sympathetic to the lefties plight, but there are some obstacles that are possibly too big to overcome. I'm sure I will get blasted for my remarks, but before you do remember I never said it "couldn't or shouldn't" be done. I just can't believe that a lefty can play these positions as effectively (quickly) as a righty.

Lenski65

Reaction score
Lefty catchers......who would even think to work with a lefty that wants to catch? Those people must be crazy!

;)

Fairman

Reaction score
A lefty catcher is at a disadvantage throwing to third as much as a righty catcher has throwing to first, but there are far more opurtunies at first than third....advantage lefties.

The throw to second is only effected by the fact that there are more righty batters to throw around than lefties. a small adjustment here. Neutral advantage here.

The only problem with a lefty catcher is finding them a left handed catcher's mitt!!