Glasses??? Help.

josie

Reaction score
north central-northwest central-central ohio
I need some advice. My daughter is almost 10 and is on a travel ball team. She wears glasses for school. She is near sighted. Recently took her to eye doctor and he prescribed a stronger lens. Turns out her sight got worse over the last year. In my opinion she is not ready for contacts. She will play middle infield and outfield. Can anyone recommend a brand of frames suitable for an active 10 year old? In the past she didn't wear glasses to play sports but it now appears she will need something. Some of those sports frames out there are not very feminine! She always has her face mask on :). Thank you so much for the help!

daboss

Reaction score
Most eye Dr.s have a line of sport frames that are very functional. In the past I have worn them myself as well as my daughter starting when she turned 12. They may not be what you see on the beach. Most brands are very similar in look with the only difference being price. Getting the glasses will be half the battle. Getting her to wear them will be the more difficult issue, at least it was in my case.

Most masks are made to wear sports glasses in them so that shouldn't be an issue although there will be a learning curve. It'll take some time to get used to them. With a little work, it should improve her hitting.

Be sure to work with her to use her head and not solely her eyes to track the ball. You want to keep her looking at the ball regardless with her nose as her refference pointer and track the ball as it gets closer to her. Make her head turn to the ball. Have her actually stand in the batter's box and do nothing but track the ball all the way into the catcher's mitt or the catch net. Some times I would use a hitting stick and walk the stick from the circle to the catcher so she could get the feel for tracking the ball and turning her head once it was in the area of the plate. This drill can be used by any hitter to help her see the ball better. If they see it, they have a better chance of hitting it. If her head isn't on a swivel she's not tracking the ball to the best of their ability.

cobb_of_fury

Reaction score
My daughter got a pair of the sport Frames (the strapped goggle style) at Wal-Mart.
(Think Kareem Abdul-Jabar)
images

They were relatively inexpensive and worked well for her - She was severly Near sighted
She was able to pitch just fine with them

Last edited:

mason_04

Reaction score
Website
www.leaguelineup.com
My daughter and a couple of other players we now use the Liberty Sport Rec Specs. Great for softball and other sports. They fit within the helmet and defensive face mask.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
My DD USES THE WILEYX wrap around in prescription sunglasses. She's had a very good experience with them pitching and playing 1B, plus they were reasonably priced. If you have a copy of her prescription you can order from RX safety.
If ya want the link to them just pm me, be happy to get it for ya

Reaction score
We took my daughter's prescription to Walmart and bought hers. She had the Rec-Spec brand black frames...very affordable and durable. I tried to put the skull and crossbones on them like Wild Thing in Major League but the wife shut that down.

She just got contacts her first year at 12u and loves them so far.

yossarian

Reaction score
I recommend getting the kind that auto-tint in the sun.

Long Baller

Reaction score
My daughter and a couple of other players we now use the Liberty Sport Rec Specs. Great for softball and other sports. They fit within the helmet and defensive face mask.
I agree with the Rec Specs. They're durable and offer a wide range of vision.

Long Baller

Reaction score
I would not recommend these. There always seems to be instances of not being the "right" tint, issues going from light to shade, etc. I would go the route of a dedicated pair of prescription sunglasses instead. :cool:

yossarian

Reaction score
Forgot to mention that my daughter also has the ones made by Liberty. Very durable and work well in helmets and masks.

yossarian

Reaction score
I would not recommend these. There always seems to be instances of not being the "right" tint, issues going from light to shade, etc. I would go the route of a dedicated pair of prescription sunglasses instead. :cool:

I just asked my daughter if she's had that experience and she said its never bothered her. We went the auto-tint route so they would work for indoor sports as well. LensCrafters did the lenses. Point well taken though. The OP might want to go outside with a store demo pair and test them. Also, I know LensCrafters has a 30-day period where you can return for any reason.

FastBat

Reaction score

Me too. My dd used to say the sport wrap type would make her eye balls sweat, lol. So, I realized just getting a durable generic pair with the sun tint lens, was the best option. Good luck!

#4mom

Reaction score
Both my daughters wear glasses and we have not had any luck with sports goggles, they have blind spots, the fog up ect. The best thing we have found is to just wear the normal glasses then buy a strap and fasten it tightly! Also beware my daughter has a latex allergy and sports goggles contain latex in them, this is something your not warned about by the optical place either! We found out the hard way!

AkronCarPro

Reaction score
My DD played with sports glass from about the age of 11 till she got contacts at about 14 or 15. We took her prescription to SAMS and got her transition sports glasses that she could wear to play basketball indoors and softball outdoors. The price was right and they worked great till she was ready for contacts. No need to spend $300 at an ophthalmologist for what you can get for half the price at SAMS.

frenchy101010

Reaction score
My 11yo just got her first pair of glasses, they fit fine under her mask and helmet. Question is in a few months when we get back outside, will the dust, dirt, and such scratch up the lenses? Til then we are sticking with these, but would like to get her some goggles with the scratch resistant / transition lenses for outside wear.

My mom has a Sams membership, might look into going there.

Pacerdad57

Reaction score
my daughter never had any problems at all with her glasses in the field.
should be fine, just take normal care in cleaning them, don't clean them dry, rinse off dirt/dust particles under running water then dry with microfiber cloth, they should be fine.

yossarian

Reaction score
We ended up getting my daughter a pair of the rec specs a few years ago, in addition to her regular glasses. We got the self-tinting kind. She loves them and has had minimal problems – just some occasional fogging. We've since updated them with new ones as her eyes have shifted.