Here's a good one for you about Blue..

Playing in an ASA tournament against a team from MI. Pool play you can bat your entire roster, but the caviat is you cannot use last out as a courtesy runner only someone not in the game. Fair enough!

Our pitcher hits a gap shot and ties the game, but she is a bit slow and is held to a double. I was batting everyone so I have no runner, bummer because the last out has serious wheels. Next batter hits a shallow shot to the outfield and the pitcher can only advance to 3rd. Our fast runner would have scored, but such is life.

Other team is up and their pitcher hits a single, really big girl that is slower than our pitcher. They send in a pinch runner, but they are also batting everyone. I question it and the Blue says "By his rule they are allowed to". I point out that the tournament rules state otherwise and he barks back that it is his decision.

Next batter swings at a drop curve drives it into the ground and runs into it as she is out in front of the plate. Everyone sees this but no call from the plate blue, I question it and the blue just looks at me like I am speaking russian. Doesn't even bother to respond to my request. Now they have 1st & 3rd with one out. Did I mention that inbetween every half inning the blue and the other coach were just buddy buddy, wispering to each other.

LOL I feel better now.

How bout playing in an NSA Tourney, where the rules actually state Either a Sub or Last Recorded Out can be used as Courtesy Runner.

The brilliant Ump tells us we can't use the last OUT, but can use the girl sho just scored, as she was the last completed bat. Went with him to the UIC, who by the way, at the intial coaches' meeting on Thursday morning admitted not knowing NSA rules very well, as they were all Indiana High School Umps - He reads the rule straight out of the book & has the nerve to look at me & say it all depends on how you read & interpret it.......... Unbelievable.........

For anyone who has not been happy with what I feel has been pretty good ump'ing in Ohio this season - Never go to Indy - By far the worse I have witnessed!!!!!!!!

That's been my experience with NSA period. That's all I'll say.

In Michigan the NSA umps are much better than the USSSA umps. Not even close.

Don't brand one set of NSA umps as precedent for how all NSA umps work and are trained.

These same issues are happening in the other sanctions, so don't make it out like it is only happening in NSA.

That's been my experience with NSA period. That's all I'll say.

I do have a question for you, what NSA tournament was this and what team name did you go under as I do not show a sanction for the Mason Thunder in my records this season.

How bout playing in an NSA Tourney, where the rules actually state Either a Sub or Last Recorded Out can be used as Courtesy Runner.

The brilliant Ump tells us we can't use the last OUT, but can use the girl sho just scored, as she was the last completed bat. Went with him to the UIC, who by the way, at the intial coaches' meeting on Thursday morning admitted not knowing NSA rules very well, as they were all Indiana High School Umps - He reads the rule straight out of the book & has the nerve to look at me & say it all depends on how you read & interpret it.......... Unbelievable.........

For anyone who has not been happy with what I feel has been pretty good ump'ing in Ohio this season - Never go to Indy - By far the worse I have witnessed!!!!!!!!

Aren't a lot of umpires multi sanctioned? Haven't played USSSA in a while but there did seem to be a prepondernce of slow pitch umpires doing fastpitch games. Anyone ever have the first game of the day and during the pre-game have an umpire remind you that each batter is starting with one strike? Oops.

Seems most of the NSA umpires I've known were also ASA sanctioned so they could work various tournaments.

I do have a question for you, what NSA tournament was this and what team name did you go under as I do not show a sanction for the Mason Thunder in my records this season.

The tournamant was the Midwest World Series in Indy. It was an Open Tourney using NSA rules........

All the Ump's were IHSAA certified officials. It was obvious that none of them, including the UIC, had even looked at the NSA rule book prior to the event.

I am not downing any single sanctioning bodies Ump's, as most of the same you see doing ASA one week here in Ohio will be doing USSSA the following....

My opinion is the Indiana Umps in this event were the worst I have seen all season. And the lack of basic knowledge of the rules just begins to show the edge of what I witnessed this weekend in all 3 locations this tourney took place in............

The tournamant was the Midwest World Series in Indy. It was an Open Tourney using NSA rules........

All the Ump's were IHSAA certified officials. It was obvious that none of them, including the UIC, had even looked at the NSA rule book prior to the event.

I am not downing any single sanctioning bodies Ump's, as most of the same you see doing ASA one week here in Ohio will be doing USSSA the following....

My opinion is the Indiana Umps in this event were the worst I have seen all season. And the lack of basic knowledge of the rules just begins to show the edge of what I witnessed this weekend in all 3 locations this tourney took place in............

How dare you guys question an umpire!!!!!HA!HA!

He is absolutely right. The UIC admitted at the coaches meeting that he did not know NSA rules. One ump in one game twice blew the look back rule and another ump failed to penalize a batter who switched sides of the plate, with the pitcher on the rubber, without first calling time out because in all his years of umping, he had never experienced this problem. After the game he looked at his rule book where he saw the penalty spelled out. He at least had the decency to apologize to us coaches for blowing the call.

Worst experience with umpires yet.

Something to remember, this was never a sanctioned NSA event. This was someone deciding to host a World Series tourney and for some reason deciding our rules were what they would copy since they did not get it approved with our Indiana NSA state director. Our rulebook is listed online just like the other major sanctions, so more than likely this TD knew this or might even run slow-pitch and have rulebooks to hand out. Heck, you could have contacted me and I would have told you the truth that this was not a NSA event nor was ever approved by anyone with NSA.

Just another TD deciding to try to cut out the sanctioning body because they want to cut corners. I would wager that all of those officials were only IHSAA certified and nothing else. These type of folks are popping up all over the country. NSA national has already had one of them take our name off there literature because of trademark law, and will probably crack the whip on this one before it all said and done.

If I was you, I would question the tournament operator as this was not a sanctioned NSA event, and someone used our trademarked name to trade in on the fact that there was a NSA World Series in the INDY area......the week after his event.

Something to remember, this was never a sanctioned NSA event. This was someone deciding to host a World Series tourney and for some reason deciding our rules were what they would copy since they did not get it approved with our Indiana NSA state director. Our rulebook is listed online just like the other major sanctions, so more than likely this TD knew this or might even run slow-pitch and have rulebooks to hand out. Heck, you could have contacted me and I would have told you the truth that this was not a NSA event nor was ever approved by anyone with NSA.

Just another TD deciding to try to cut out the sanctioning body because they want to cut corners. I would wager that all of those officials were only IHSAA certified and nothing else. These type of folks are popping up all over the country. NSA national has already had one of them take our name off there literature because of trademark law, and will probably crack the whip on this one before it all said and done.

If I was you, I would question the tournament operator as this was not a sanctioned NSA event, and someone used our trademarked name to trade in on the fact that there was a NSA World Series in the INDY area......the week after his event.

when all else fails.....wasn't me!

Seems everything he said was true. The best umps we saw all year was at NSA State in Lancaster. That includes all other sanctions ASA and Utrips.

Seems everything he said was true. The best umps we saw all year was at NSA State in Lancaster. That includes all other sanctions ASA and Utrips.

Thank Mike for that .... he implimented a strong work ethic and knowledge of the rules.. towards the umpires in that area. About time somebody did. :D

Indy was an "all-sanction" using NSA rules.. same as Bill Beckham doing "all sanctions" events with ASA rules as guidelines.

10 and 12u teams got to figure in a big tournament... you are going to get the worst of umpires that was offered by the person doing the scheduling of the umpires. Just the way it is sadly to say. NO fault of the TD.

Except when you can hand pick them :D

Aren't a lot of umpires multi sanctioned? Haven't played USSSA in a while but there did seem to be a prepondernce of slow pitch umpires doing fastpitch games. Anyone ever have the first game of the day and during the pre-game have an umpire remind you that each batter is starting with one strike? Oops.

Seems most of the NSA umpires I've known were also ASA sanctioned so they could work various tournaments.

Many are multi-sanctioned until they start getting pressure from one certain association area commissioner and then it stops in certain areas ;& NE Ohio comes to mind.

But, SW Ohio has umpires mostly doing USSSA events.. then ASA has to cart their umpires in from out of town.... to help the USSSA umpires that is multi sanctioned and do ASA in SW Ohio.

One strike on the batter :lmao::lmao:

You'll get that !!!!!