Pitching and Pitchers Discussion Hole in front of pitcher mound

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score
QUESTION. WE PLAYED AN AWAY GAME WHERE THERE WAS A HOLE ABOUT 8 INCHES ACROSS, 4 INCHES WIDE AND
3 INCHES DEEP RIGHT OFF THE RUBBER. MY PITCHER SLIGHTLY SLID OVER THE HOLE TO AVOID HURTING HER ANKLE IN THE HOLE. THE UMP SAID NOTHING UNTIL THE FOURTH INNING WHEN WE TOOK THE LEAD AND THE OTHER COACH COMPLAINED ABOUT CROW HOPPING I ASKED WHY IT WAS NEVER BROUGHT UP UNTIL WE TOOK THE LEAD AND THE OTHER COACH SAID IT DIDN'T BOTHER HIM UNTIL HE STARTED LOSING AND HE WAS LOOKING FOR ANY ADVANTAGE POSSIBLE. WE THEN ASKED FOR SOME CLAY OR DIRT AND A TAMPER TO FILL IN THE HOLE BECAUSE THE FEILD WAS BARE, AND THEY WOULD NOT PROVIDE ANY, THEY SAID USE WHAT WAS ON THE FEILD.(NONE ). I ASKED THE UMP WHAT REAL ADVANTAGE 3 INCHES FROM THE RUBBER REALLY MAKES AND HE SAID NONE. HE THEN TOLD THE OTHER COACH THAT SHE HAS THE RIGHT TO NOT DRAG HER FOOT IN THE HOLE AND THAT
3 INCHES DOES NOT REALLY CONSTITUTE A CROW HOP. I AGREE, DOES EVERYONE ?

I UNDERSTAND THAT A LEAP DOES PROVIDE AN ADVANTAGE OF SORTS, BUT A 2 OR 3 INCH GLIDE IS NOT A LEAP. IN FACT, MANY NCAA PITCHERS COME OFF THE RUBBER SEVERAL INCHES AND NO CALL IS EVER MADE ABOUT A CROW HOP

daboss

Reaction score
Bretman needs to intervene on this one but until he gives us his response I'll give my opinion.

The rules for pitchers on a subject like this should include some fine print that will make allowances for abnormal conditions such as a crater in front of the pitching plate and lack of a grounds crew to make repairs. We know most fields will not have a crew standing by. This is not the College World Series. Umpires should be allowed to make a common-sense judgement of the situation.

The rules for pitchers are worded with expectations the field conditions are pristine. There should be wording to the effect of the "Spirit" or "Intent" of the rule be enforced under the circumstances and allowances in the event of abnormal conditions.

While I am unaware of any such wording, I believe any good umpire would and should make an assessment. Perhaps the protocol would be to inform both benches they are aware of the hole and in the spirit of play they will be allowing the girls some leniency. If any blatant attempt to take advantage of the rule they would still be within their rights to call an illegal pitch. I believe most good umpires do this anyway in the "spirit of the game."

I know some are going to argue the "black and white" of the book. Sorry, in some instances it requires some judgement. Until wording is added to the rule book, this will fall into that dreaded "Gray" area that bookworms refuse to acknowledge. If umpires would communicate to the benches before or as soon as it becomes an issue, teams should be expected to play and leave the officiating to the officials. Umpires have enough help from "volunteers" in the stands and along the fence.....

FYI, any coach that would blatantly pull a stunt like described in the scenario that started the thread should be required to wear a shirt the rest of the weekend that states they are a jerk. Better yet, make them umpire the rest of the weekend.

Reaction score
USSSA states “If a hole has been created in front of the pitcher’s plate, the pivot foot may be no higher than the level plane of the ground”