How far does everyone travel?

Or should I say, how far is too far, or is there such a thing? Just curious as to how far people travel to play for an organization?

Or should I say, how far is too far, or is there such a thing? Just curious as to how far people travel to play for an organization?

Last year we traveled 3 and a half hours to play for a team based out of NE Ohio area, and we live outside of Cincinnati. Made a lot of good friends and had a great summer. This year it is closer.

I think it all depends on what your DD's goals are... We traveled 1 hour couple times a week (1 way), not bad except during weekdays when we would come home between 10-11PM and they have school next day.

First off, Softball 247....I love your screen name as that is my license plate. :)
Are you referring to the distance you travel to be with your team or how far your team typically travels to compete in tournaments?
For tournaments, you really do not have to go far from Central Ohio to see good competition! The same goes for Akron/Canton/Cleveland area, Toledo & Dayton/Cinci areas. There are plenty of good tournaments all over this state.
My team is based out of Lancaster & we play most of our tournaments within 2-3 hours from here-Columbus, Mt. Vernon, Marion, Lancaster. We just went to Toledo last weekend & that was a great experience! So, for tourneys, I would say 3-3 1/2 hours is about as far as I would like to go for your normal tourneys. I'm pretty lucky in that I only have to go 15 minutes for my practices, but would be willing to drive 45-60 minutes if I had to. I know we have some players that do that!
Hope this helps!

In the last 2 seasons of college ball, 111 games, didn't miss a single game, probably 10-12k miles. I'm sure Bouldersdad can beat that..........

First off, Softball 247....I love your screen name as that is my license plate. :)
Are you referring to the distance you travel to be with your team or how far your team typically travels to compete in tournaments?
For tournaments, you really do not have to go far from Central Ohio to see good competition! The same goes for Akron/Canton/Cleveland area, Toledo & Dayton/Cinci areas. There are plenty of good tournaments all over this state.
LOL, nice plate, pretty much sums up our whole life so far... I was directing it more towards practice. Were located just about as far south as you can get in OH (scioto co.), dont mind to travel for tourneys. Actually look forward to the long drive home sometimes, gives us time to reflect on the weekend. Most of our tournaments so far this year have been in Milford (1.25hr) and Columbus (1.45-2 hr) We currently drive about 45-50 min for prac, which isnt bad. The options here are extremely limited, and the orgs that I'd like my DD to have the option to play with are 1.5-2 hrs away, lol. So Im just curious if its almost unrealistic to expect to be able to be part of an org that far away.

My dd is 11 and we've been driving 2 hrs one way for 2 years now. We are expected to be at 1 practice a week. The commitment at home includes working out hitting, pitching, fielding and speed training. We work out typically 5 days/week and have found a place to do this inside so there is no weather excuses. My kid loves it and hasn't ever complained about the drive but she picked her team. When she wasn't happy on the lower level local team I told her to observe other teams, coaches, etc. to find what made her happy. She is surprisingly very clear, for her age, on what she wants and is very happy with her choices. One word of advice when considering such sacrifice. Be sure to find a team as committed to your kid as she is to them. Our coach would bleed for our dd and she for him, makes all the miles trivial!

Our coach would bleed for our dd and she for him, makes all the miles trivial!

I love this! I would lead my kids into fire & they would follow me. That's the ultimate sign of respect & adoration both ways.
Takeone is so right, there!

I love this! I would lead my kids into fire & they would follow me. That's the ultimate sign of respect & adoration both ways.
Takeone is so right, there!

LOL, I love your enthusiasm but if my kid followed someone into fire (euphuism, I realize) I'd have a long talk with her. Supporting a team is strongly encouraged and respecting a coach is expected but I hope my girls know when to draw a line. I don't want my kids to adore their coach...

Live in Cols. 45 minutes each way for travel team practices. Travel for "Travel Ball" tournaments (Hmmm... wonder why it's called that?) Chicago, New York State, Florida, Indiana, Michigan, plus about ever major tournament in Ohio. College? pre-season: Florida, California. Season: New York, Wisconsin, Indiana, Illinois (basically Boulder's Horizon League venues). I lost track of the miles after the second year of travel ball... Enjoyed every minute, but the tournaments in Ohio and Michigan were the most fulfilling - that's where DD earned her scholarship.

DD would also follow her coach anywhere. Live in extreme NE Ohio and travel 1.5 hours for practice 2-3 times per week. Practice at home everyday. Expectation is to pitch, hit and field at home daily and DD also loves it.

We travel 60-80 minutes each way a few times a week for practice and 1-2 hrs for tournaments. Most of the team is 15 minutes from home....very lucky girls !! But I guess it is called travel ball for a reason LOL. Anyways my dd wants to play and this is where she is so I will be there as well. They are only kids once and I know I will miss it when it is all done.

When we have practice, it's generally a 2 hour ride for us one way. Alot of coaches don't expect those who travel 3+ hours to do it every weekend (I can be wrong here, but generally speaking). A couple years ago, our practice was 3.5+ hours away. We didn't need to attend the weekday practices and if I recall correctly, only needed to go to every other weekend one. We went to every weekend one because my DD loved those girls.

Living in the infamous "Lake County" area, depending on which location we are using that weekend, our practice travel time is any where from 1.5 hrs to 3.5 hrs one way. There are 3 locations that alternate weekly to try to stay close to some when possible. The 3.5 hr commute is optional for us being so far away. It's tough when practice starts at 9am, but my DD wouldn't trade it for the world, and would follow her coach anywhere as well as her teammates. During the week, each player is responsible to put their own work in, weather it be with an instructor, or on your own. The kicker is, the long hours of practice and hard work shows! Starting this early at 10U, I see many different vehicles in my future due to mileage. :yahoo:

We used to travel about an hour one way. This year we got lucky and both DD's teams are within 1/2 hour. This really helps out when you have 2 DD's playing Travel Ball.

We are in the NE Ohio area and we travel 1 hr one way to practice and anywhere from 1 hr 15 min to 2 hrs one way for tournaments. I really enjoy the travel time, I'm a single mom and it's just me and the DD one on one chit chatting, singing and acting goofy! She may have some videos she could black mail me with lol. It's priceless!

We are in the NE Ohio area and we travel 1 hr one way to practice and anywhere from 1 hr 15 min to 2 hrs one way for tournaments. I really enjoy the travel time, I'm a single mom and it's just me and the DD one on one chit chatting, singing and acting goofy! She may have some videos she could black mail me with lol. It's priceless!

To me that 'car time' makes all the expense and time worth while -
There is no way you could buy back that time I get to spend with my DD.
She's only 11 but I hear that clock ticking.

Always traveled 1 1/2 hr to practice, this year new team is 2 hrs to practice. A wonderful thing happened though, my DD got her license:yahoo:

Always traveled 1 1/2 hr to practice, this year new team is 2 hrs to practice. A wonderful thing happened though, my DD got her license:yahoo:

My heart just sank... When that happens with us, I think I will just ride with her then and mess with her radio non-stop!!

My heart just sank... When that happens with us, I think I will just ride with her then and mess with radio non-stop!!

...while texting and playing on the ipad...:cool: I'm sure she'll be cool with that.