How many have had players quit mid-season?

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As the title states, how many of you coaches have had players quit mid-season? How many of you coaches/parents have had/witnessed "Hissy Quits?" What were the reasons?

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
I had one lady back at 16U leave the team after our first two June tournaments. It was a combonation of boyfriend issues at events, issues she and dad had with other players and family finances with remaining schedule. We had two 4 day out of state events and 2 three day northern Ohio events that required hotel stays etc.
That same year we also had one at summer seasons end say she was not coming back because she wanted to play on a team with her younger sister.
That was ok until her parents tried unsuccessfully to get 2 of our pitchers to come with them just as the summer season was getting started.

Rerun

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I had 3 players that left middle of the seasons. This is about a 16 under that left in the middle of the season.

We had one players leave in the middle of the season because she didn’t really want to play anymore. She join the program in August and left the team in June of the next year. She played all the winter events, never missed a practice and was one of the leaders on the team. She was by far the best 3rd basemen I had ever Coached.

I did manage to talk with her about 10 years later and I ask her why she left the team. She told me it was because of her dad. She said she loved playing and really like her team and love the girls like sisters on the team. She went on to say her dad drove her crazy. She went on to say her dad was always putting down the girls on the team that made mistakes to the point she would cry and get upset because she really care about them and it would piss her off that he would act like this. She went on to tell me that why she loved going when here dad couldn’t travel to the tournaments. Because the only thing he would hear about was what she and her mom would tell him.

She said looking back now, she wish she was strong enough then to tell her dad to shut up with out upsetting him or hurting his feelings. Because even with her dad being a jerk she still love him and would never be disrespectful toward him.

Chardon Storm

Reaction score
No one has quit any of the Chardon Storm teams but I have heard of it happening to a couple other local programs

daboss

Reaction score
I had 3 players that left middle of the seasons. This is about a 16 under that left in the middle of the season.

We had one players leave in the middle of the season because she didn’t really want to play anymore. She join the program in August and left the team in June of the next year. She played all the winter events, never missed a practice and was one of the leaders on the team. She was by far the best 3rd basemen I had ever Coached.

I did manage to talk with her about 10 years later and I ask her why she left the team. She told me it was because of her dad. She said she loved playing and really like her team and love the girls like sisters on the team. She went on to say her dad drove her crazy. She went on to say her dad was always putting down the girls on the team that made mistakes to the point she would cry and get upset because she really care about them and it would piss her off that he would act like this. She went on to tell me that why she loved going when here dad couldn’t travel to the tournaments. Because the only thing he would hear about was what she and her mom would tell him.

She said looking back now, she wish she was strong enough then to tell her dad to shut up with out upsetting him or hurting his feelings. Because even with her dad being a jerk she still love him and would never be disrespectful toward him.

This story happens so much and it really tugs at your heart to hear/read it. The kids shouldn't have to go thru this but here we are again, we can't tell parents how to raise their kids. The fact that she realizes she might have had a different overall experience if she would have spoken to him might be enough to break that cycle when her own kids may be faced with something similar. I guess that's its own life lesson. Good for her!

Thank you for sharing.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
most times when an athlete leaves a team mid season its due to being selfish. I had one girl this year that was ME ME ME mentality and her and I came to an agreement this just isn't the team for her. She is now subbing for teams and they see the issues too. Parents play a big role in this. The grass isn't always greener on the other side.

Sball4life

Reaction score
How about when you daughter is cut mid season? Sadly happened to mine this year. She was told she wasn’t a good enough player.

Sball4life

Reaction score
I don’t want to say. Sorry. Afraid of blow back. Coach is already spreading false rumors about my DD.

yocoach

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
How about when you daughter is cut mid season? Sadly happened to mine this year. She was told she wasn’t a good enough player.
Unfortunately, this is happening more often nowadays because many of us developmental coaches are leaving the game and many of the "New" generation don't have a clue as to how to go about it so instead they just recruit and replace. It doesn't matter when they find the next, best replacement player; the rostered player is being replaced whether it's mid-season or not.

That said, I find it a bit ironic that they're willing to release every player on their roster at any time throughout the year but their head would explode if the player quit on their own mid-season.

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
sam-kinison.jpg

DO WE LIKE SHITTY COACHES WHO CUTS GIRLS MIDSEASON???????? NOOOOOOOOOO ! name them, name them !!! UHHHHHH, OHHHHH

24GahannaLadyLions7

Reaction score
None in 3 years as a Bandits coach, had 12 girls my 9U year, 12 girls my 10U year, 11 this year...... no parent blowups, no groupme outbursts, no team meetings because of drama, no girl fights

How??? 1 easy thing to do as a head coach of young girls.... YOU CAN'T SIT THE SAME KID ON THE BENCH THE ENTIRE BRACKET PLAY -- pretty much rule of thumb on my team, if a girl sits one game, they are going to be in the lineup the next.... I like winning tournaments with my entire team, just not the same 9 every game, I make parents fully aware of that in my pre-season meeting

SO DO I PLAY MY BEST 9 IN BRACKET PLAY - no... I know people will hammer me for that, but until they get recruit age, I firmly believe that is the way to go

Last edited:

Sball4life

Reaction score
Unfortunately, this is happening more often nowadays because many of us developmental coaches are leaving the game and many of the "New" generation don't have a clue as to how to go about it so instead they just recruit and replace. It doesn't matter when they find the next, best replacement player; the rostered player is being replaced whether it's mid-season or not.

That said, I find it a bit ironic that they're willing to release every player on their roster at any time throughout the year but their head would explode if the player quit on their own mid-season.