How players remain school ball eligible?

Jcuff511

Reaction score
Quick question to anyone that can answer? How are 03, 04, 05 travel teams playing in March, April and early May tournaments? I see a good bit of the tournament listed and filled! Are they minus school ball players and just sub fill in players or does everyone on the teams play club ball? Or do they just not care if they get caught? Just trying to get a little info to see about our team playing earlier! Thanks in advance.

nwbackstop

Reaction score
In my area just about all middle school teams are club teams.School teams were losing players who were choosing travel ball,so they made the change.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
middle school team? whats that?

Creek01

Reaction score
I’d say most middle school programs are club. I know when I coached when my dd was in middle school there was only one team we played that was school sanctioned. Also, I’ve saw 12u & 13u teams over the years make the decision that they were going to continue to practice & play together rather than play middle school ball.

That’s a good topic for debate for this site. To play middle school ball or to keep practicing & playing with your travel team.

grabber711

Reaction score
In our area we have club ball, you play under your school name but it's not done through the school and is not sanctioned. So this makes you still eligible to play travel. I know some areas middle school teams play under the school and are sanctioned, and in this case they can't play travel until it's done.

WSHEELY

Reaction score
I don't know of any middle school softball programs in Youngstown which is why we still are able to play travel early spring!

FastBat

Reaction score
My dd plays on an all '04 team, all 7/8th graders, from pretty much all over the state, the team is based out of the Columbus area, and and I'm almost certain not one plays on a sanctioned MS softball team. Her first tourney is in May, I think.

Jose_canusee

Banned
Reaction score
Our area and surrounding area is sanctioned middle school
Ball but that is mostly 03/04 players.
8-10-12 can play any time , middle School is normally complete by May anyway

Rex Tiller

Reaction score
Around here, our school team is sponsored by the school board and our team cannot play with their travel ball team until after the high tournament

finfan365

Reaction score
DD’s middle school is sanctioned team. She is the only one of her teams whose MS actually has a sanctioned team. Last year she and one older freshman playing JV had to sit out while the rest of the team practiced. She still felt she had to attend and watch practices when she could though so she didn’t feel disconnected.

With half the team moving up to high school and playing school ball this year more people will be in the same situation and hopefully she won’t feel so much pressure.

Not that there was ever any pressure from her travel coach, it was an internal pressure to contribute to the team.

Reaction score
Website
WWW.OHIOBULLDAWGSELITE.COM
Our ‘04 team has 1 player that is on an OHSAA sanctioned MS team (Lakewood), so from Mid Feb to Mid May she’s off limits but we carry 12 and play on. The rest are club. ‘03’s are mostly freshman so I doubt you’ll see many of them playing Feb-Mid May.

mike_dyer

Reaction score
Look,,,

Do whatever you want to before they are in high school.

If anyone catches on and raises hell about it simply quit the garbage junior high team they are on and keep doing what you do.

This does a coupla things, mainly it lets the ex-con her junior high hired to coach the team know that you think he's a bum.

Make sure you don't give him back the jersey that he paid for with his personal funds.

I mean, her sweat is on it, and he's kinda skurvie. You have no idea what he's going to do with it...

wow

Reaction score
Middle school 7-8th grade is not worth it. Just not enough talent to take away from travel.

At 10-12-13u, play early and OFTEN! High 14 u is tough because they are doing HS. The main reason is most the travel players are starting varsity. I would stay clear of any JV ball. The reality is middle school and JV is not worth playing, generally speaking. Even if you have a decent MS/jv team the likelihood of playing any talent is slim. You will get so much more from travel.

finfan365

Reaction score
Middle school 7-8th grade is not worth it. Just not enough talent to take away from travel.

At 10-12-13u, play early and OFTEN! High 14 u is tough because they are doing HS. The main reason is most the travel players are starting varsity. I would stay clear of any JV ball. The reality is middle school and JV is not worth playing, generally speaking. Even if you have a decent MS/jv team the likelihood of playing any talent is slim. You will get so much more from travel.
I get that. In our case, the rest of DD team is playing HS ball this year, so it just makes sense to go ahead and play with the MS team and getting some actual game time in instead of just more practice or one on one with the few others who aren't playing.
I'll also say she gets something out of playing with her classmates, that she doesn't get from her travel team. While most aren't as competitive, there is a sense of pride in representing the school that I think she looks forward to.

ocndsgn

Reaction score
Our school district doesn't have middle school softball and they will not add it. They don't get to play on a school team until they get into high school. All the girls have is their travel ball or rec teams.

First2Third

Reaction score
Around here, our school team is sponsored by the school board and our team cannot play with their travel ball team until after the high tournament

Players on school-sponsored MS team can resume travel activities after last MS game. They do not have to wait for the school's HS team's season to end.

04Dad122

Reaction score
My dd plays on an all '04 team, all 7/8th graders, from pretty much all over the state, the team is based out of the Columbus area, and and I'm almost certain not one plays on a sanctioned MS softball team. Her first tourney is in May, I think.
Middle school is normally over first week of May or so

Reaction score
I'll also say she gets something out of playing with her classmates, that she doesn't get from her travel team. While most aren't as competitive, there is a sense of pride in representing the school that I think she looks forward to.

Agree 100%. Play with your middle school team. It is just 2 1/2 months out of the year. Competition may not always be great, but you can still do lessons or work on your own to stay sharp. Let them be kids and play with their school friends for a little while.

04Dad122

Reaction score

So your saying that in Middle school or as a Freshman or possibly even Sophomore if you don’t make and Start Varsity the kid should just sit at home while the other girls on their travel team are playing ball? Yes there is more competition in travel ball no doubt but there is no comepetion sitting on the couch.