HS Rule Question. OHSAA

wboggs54

Reaction score
Is it legal to attend a college camp during the high school season ? Not a “Team” camp, just an open individual camp at the college.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
hey bill - i would guess since your paying for the camp it would be ok. paid instruction and as long as less than 4 players from your HS team is there attending... you should be OK. (tell Lea we all said hello!!!)

SB18

Reaction score
It is not legal due to non-interscholastic competition restrictions.

wboggs54

Reaction score
hey bill - i would guess since your paying for the camp it would be ok. paid instruction and as long as less than 4 players from your HS team is there attending... you should be OK. (tell Lea we all said hello!!!)
Dan,
Thanks for the response, and I will tell her. I am just hearing from a high school coach or 2 that it is not allowed during the season. Maybe I missed something in the handbook ? It looks like as long as its an individual camp its ok, but I really don't want to risk her high school season for a catching camp at the college she plans to attend in 2 years...

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
you have to be a lawyer to fully understand these regulations!! I am not.... so don't take my word for it. lol

wboggs54

Reaction score
I know as a parent I can't contact OHSAA , so I was hoping that an AD or High school coach that may have ran into this before would respond. I suppose I should just air on the side of caution.
This is what i read, but is there more to it ???? Who knows..lol
GetFileAttachment

Stedman00

Reaction score
why would it be illegal? She's not working out with her established summer team. She's (you) are paying for individual instruction which is perfectly legal.

And besides, are there drones following you around from OSHAA? Go to camp, be quiet about it, and no one would know or care.

And more to the point, will the college care one bit if she doesn't play in high school over something like this? I'd guess not.

SB18

Reaction score
Individual instruction is okay. There are many girls who get hitting lessons or pitching lessons during the season but you’re talking about a college sponsored camp that is giving instruction so it’s still a college camp.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok this forum needs an official OHSSA guru that can explain these do's and don't's and can's and cannot's. what do ya think Rickey?

Renmad

Reaction score
My question is... if it’s illegal why would any college have a camp if high school kids can’t attend?

wboggs54

Reaction score
My question is... if it’s illegal why would any college have a camp if high school kids can’t attend?[/

Found out that it is legal as long as it is an instructional camp and there is no game play, and as long as it is not a recruiting camp or tryout.

Last edited: