I wanna know the fastest way to increase my daughter running speed?

SBQ

Reaction score
How can my daughter achieve this? Her current speed home to 1st is 4.4 thanks in advance.

Hilliarddad3

Reaction score
First she has to want to make herself better, then is head down? Is she running on toes? Is she upright as she runs? Does she run through bag or go to stop at it? Are arms pumping as she does?short or long strides? You can try the drag parachutes but repetition is her best medicine how old too?

Worst case a dog chasing helps too..... ;)

crystlemc

Reaction score
I don't know what geographical area in Ohio you are in, but in Tallmadge (near Akron) you can get speed and agility training with Darcy Thompson at D&M Sports. She was a 3 sport DI college athlete. She worked with my daughter on her running speed and taught her to run properly and gave her things to do to increase her speed. I can't recommend her enough. She can be reached at 412-480-8953.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
... or, in case dogs just love your daughter, Hill Sprints or Bleacher Steps.

Sprint speed is all in the thighs. Look at Olympic sprinters vs. marathoners. Do steep hills or bleachers (preferably 50-100 feet) run up, walk down. 10 reps. Rest. 3 sets. It will improve her endurance also...

spartansd

Reaction score
With so little knowledge it is hard to say.

What is her age?
What is her fitness level? A 4.4 tells me she is likely either 10U or older and not fit
If she relatively fit and is just that slow then I agree that a speed and agility class would be a great start.

I know a boy who dropped his 40 time from a 5.3 to a 4.6 through a speed and agility classes. It was a combination of weight loss, increased fitness, better running technique, and understanding how to run the distance in the quickest manner.

Another boy I know got into the Olympic lifts and crossfit. He dropped his 40 from a 4.9 to a 4.6 while increasing his weight from 160 to 195 pounds (he is 5'8").

I do not think there is a magic wand. The best way is to get your fitness in order. Which means getting your body weight in a healthy range. And working hard on increasing your overall core strength.

I think a major shortcoming female athletes have is not focusing on making themselves into better athletes. To much focus on skill development and not enough on weight training and fitness.

Dougk30

Reaction score
If you cant make it to see Darcy Thompson (who is awesome) I have heard that chasing chickens works well for fast feet.

Louuuuu

Reaction score
If you cant make it to see Darcy Thompson (who is awesome) I have heard that chasing chickens works well for fast feet.

... right before you run up the steps to the Philadelphia Museum of Art with all the neighborhood kids chasing you.

Reaction score
I have to also sing the praises of Darcy Thompson. She is fantastic. Darcy has speed and agility classes M-T for 10.00 a class if you don't want to commit to a private training.

Run26

Reaction score
How can my daughter achieve this? Her current speed home to 1st is 4.4 thanks in advance.

Throw her phone over the first baseman's head

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com

Teach her to hit..

I went through this with DD for years... I spent thousands having her go through Tekulve, Adrenaline and B.E.A.T. trying to get her H/1 time down.

Her agility went through the roof as well as POWER.
When she did Cone, Ladder, or Box work she blew the others away. Medicine ball drills, planks, stretching and stretch tube drills a leader from start to finish.
Her home to 1st/ home time did see some improvement but no "huge improvement".

With that said...She was the slowest on her travel and HS teams home to 1st home to home but, lead the team in doubles and home to home trots when it counted during 14/16/18U...
Her lack of Home to Home speed did not stop college coaches from looking at her at all levels...

So if she can hit she will get on, If she has power she will get noticed...

Last edited:

Maxx

Reaction score
There is no "fast" way. Improve running mechanics, strength, and power.

bucketime

Reaction score
Cards is right, my DD was noticed because of her hitting. She is not really slow, but let her hit the fast runners in. I used to hear a lot of colleges say...if you can hit we will find you a spot. Stupid Jim?? I love your answer; I mean in most cases us coaches are older and a little larger than we used to be and when were we ever sprint runners but yet we now how. As some stated go to some agility classes ask a college coach at camps where do they go or what they do.

FastBat

Reaction score
I don't know what geographical area in Ohio you are in, but in Tallmadge (near Akron) you can get speed and agility training with Darcy Thompson at D&M Sports. She was a 3 sport DI college athlete. She worked with my daughter on her running speed and taught her to run properly and gave her things to do to increase her speed. I can't recommend her enough. She can be reached at 412-480-8953.

Darcy is an amazing trainer and has tremendously helped my DD. She works on running form as well to maximize speed. Whatever she does works to help with leg drive during pitching/throwing, too! Darcy is my kid's "secret weapon" and very affordable!

Buckeyeguy

Reaction score
Late to the game, sorry, but if you're talking about straight running speed, find a sprint/speed trainer. Running fast is a technique that can be learned just like any other. The agility training advice is good as well, it will help her be more athletic which in turn will help her speed. But what I have seen over the past several years coaching is simply poor technique, even in the fast girls.