Illegal pitch or not ?

cinbo

Reaction score
It did not have any effect on the outcome of the game but big arguments from both sides.
I have my thoughts but I figured I would get some other opinions. By the way the picture is of her backswing.
There no number no face.

Last edited:

Creek01

Reaction score
So thanks for posting a pic of our travel pitcher. I'm sure you asked her high school coach or her parents if it was ok to post this pic. Stay classy Greenville

cinbo

Reaction score
I just asked a question. If you were there you know what argument it caused. I'm not putting anyone down. I actually thought she pitched a pretty good game. If Admin has a problem with the picture I will remove it.

Last edited:

Creek01

Reaction score
I wasn't there. My dd was playing down the road against Mason at the same time. I did get a chance to talk to the home plate ump for that game after the D4 district final that followed as well as the pitcher's dad. So I heard 2 of the 3 sides. I will say this. I've never saw that kid be called for an illegal pitch in the last year.

cinbo

Reaction score
I don't doubt that, you very rarely see an illegal pitch called that's why I asked on here. Did not mean to offend anyone.
I wasn't sure I could even describe it that is why I posted a pic.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Kind of hard to tell from a still shot, but...

If your issue is with the pivot foot not being in contact with the plate as the pitcher pushes off, most likely this was NOT illegal.

Here's what I meant about it being a still shot- If the pitcher picked up or slid her pivot foot forward to lose contact with the plate before starting the pitch, then illegal. You can't tell if that's what happened here.

More than likely, the heel of her foot was in contact, then her heel raised up as she started the pitch, without the foot gaining distance toward home, raising onto the ball of her foot for the push off. This is perfectly legal. It satisfies the rule of the pivot foot "pushing off and dragging away from the pitcher's plate".

The key is how the foot got to where it is in the picture and a still shot doesn't show us that.

Last edited:

cinbo

Reaction score
Thanks BretMan for your input and yes the Coaches were arguing that when she rocked back her heel was loosing contact with the rubber. She did get called one time. In the pic she was in her backswing not pushing off.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
So long as her pivot foot started out in contact, was never repositioned to gain additional distance toward home, then pushed away from the ball of her foot in this exact position, I think she's legal.

cinbo

Reaction score
First of all, this is my daughter and we do not appreciate you posting her picture on this site and trying to degrade her more than you already have. The way the Greenville coach (not sure if that's you) harassed her yesterday and tried to embarrass her was completely inappropriate. To be clear, this was not about an illegal pitch. This was about a premeditated plan to try to intimidate a 15 year old girl. If a coach has an issue with a pitch they should approach the umpire about it, not stand on the 3rd baseline jumping up and down and screaming at the player. This picture needs to be removed immediately. We will not allow you to use this site to try to embarrass her. BretMan, thank you for your opinion that she appears legal.
first of all I did not degrade her or try to. I said I thought she pitched a pretty good game and as far as the picture goes I'm sorry if it offended you but I did not take it myself I borrowed it from a local media outlet. Our Coach would NEVER harass or try to intimidate a player you are way off base if that's what you think. And to think that he had it all planned out to target your dd is completely absurd.

cinbo

Reaction score
It just makes me wonder why you think the coach shouldn't be passionate and competitive for his team. Is that not what makes a great coach? Have you ever watched any successful teams in any sport have a passive coach?

cinbo

Reaction score
You have your opinion and many others have another. His reputation and the programs are well known. Many people not associated with either program had strong opinions about his behavior. No need to discuss further. This is an issue that should be handled beyond softball zone, but I will again ask you to remove her picture.
By the way it was YOUR coach that was nearly ejected and restricted to the bench for his actions.

CARDS

Reaction score
Website
www.wearecolerain.com
first of all I did not degrade her or try to. I said I thought she pitched a pretty good game and as far as the picture goes I'm sorry if it offended you but I did not take it myself I borrowed it from a local media outlet. Our Coach would NEVER harass or try to intimidate a player you are way off base if that's what you think. And to think that he had it all planned out to target your dd is completely absurd.

Most High Schools do have board policies on the use of students pictures and videos.

Generally; a letter is sent home to be signed by the parent... If you got the photo third party I would suggest removing it and contacting the local school District informing them the students parents do not approve of images or videos being posted in the paper or any other media outlets. They can contact parents and if no authorization for media her photo and name can be removed from further published papers etc.

cinbo

Reaction score
Most High Schools do have board policies on the use of students pictures and videos.

Generally; a letter is sent home to be signed by the parent... If you got the photo third party I would suggest removing it and contacting the local school District informing them the students parents do not approve of images or videos being posted in the paper or any other media outlets. They can contact parents and if no authorization for media her photo and name can be removed from further published papers etc.
I thought that parents signed a paper that had something to do with images and such. I don't have to worry about removing it because apparently the moderators removed it for me. I looked back at all my posts and I never once tried to embarrass or belittle her in any way whatsoever and would never do that to any young lady. I did get the picture from a third party but I have no idea what the young lady's name is or her parents name is and I would prefer not to know at this point. I would have no idea who to talk to about the situation.

Last edited: