Illegal Pitch

Strohbro

Reaction score
I have seen more illegal pitches called the past two weeks than the past five years combined. Thinking about why this is happening I believe it falls on a couple people . First are the pitching coaches for not correcting it when it first started with their students . Second I blame the umpiring at the younger and older ages for not calling it.
If others have thoughts please chime in .I would love to hear them .

City Slicker

Reaction score
Also put blame on most young pitchers who don't work daily on their drills and just show up on the weekend to pitch.

Bad habits are never corrected if they don't work to correct them.

Strohbro

Reaction score
daboss,

The right toe dragging on the ground. Basically leaping.
I was at my DD's junior college game today. I am not exaggerating when I make this statement. One of the other teams pitchers didn't throw one legal pitch. It was beyond obvious. It was not called once . She threw to 5 batters and roughly 30 pitches . Not one legal and never called. It's become a joke

First2Third

Reaction score
I have seen more illegal pitches called the past two weeks than the past five years combined. Thinking about why this is happening I believe it falls on a couple people . First are the pitching coaches for not correcting it when it first started with their students . Second I blame the umpiring at the younger and older ages for not calling it.
If others have thoughts please chime in .I would love to hear them .

At what level are you seeing illegal pitches called?

daboss

Reaction score
daboss,

The right toe dragging on the ground. Basically leaping.
I was at my DD's junior college game today. I am not exaggerating when I make this statement. One of the other teams pitchers didn't throw one legal pitch. It was beyond obvious. It was not called once . She threw to 5 batters and roughly 30 pitches . Not one legal and never called. It's become a joke

There's a host of reasons for this. Too many issues to list. One of the reasons is the umpires in general are not fluently schooled on the issues that actually are illegal. They can't readily identify the infractions. They don't want to get into a confrontation with coaches-----------or pitchers that actually have a better understanding of the rules for pitchers. This is not an excuse but an opinion. When you consider all the things a pair of umpires need to watch in the course of a game, what goes on in the circle has to be obviously blatant for them to call it. Watching for a flat or upward pointing toe compared to a downward pointing toe is difficult to judge at times.

Remember; recollection is all they have to fall back on if a confrontation is to follow. If we had video to use to prove a point, a safety net would exist but so would the assurance all the games would be longer. I don't believe that is something we want as a result. With more umpires (3 or more) you would expect more enforcement of the rules or at least a clearer more consistent enforcement. Since we already deal with a shortage of umpires I don't see this option being available anytime soon.

So where does this leave us? I believe City Slicker points out something I'd like to say a few words on. I believe most qualified pitching instructors are teaching the girls the proper mechanics of pitching. Also, I believe some of these girls are confident they have a handle on this art and convince Mom and Dad there is no need to get up at 5am on Sunday morning to go to their lesson, they can do this on their own. They continue to practice with their coaches that have little or no knowledge of pitching mechanics and are allowed to develop a form that has illegal tendencies and nobody there is the wiser. For many they simply are thrilled the girl can reach to Missouri and come around with a screaming fastball that actually gets called a strike after it travels 43 ft. Now take this kid to a game with an umpire that knows pitching infractions and have them call it and you can bet the farm the entire staff and this confident kid will be ready to argue what a jerk the umpire is being. Sometimes, it actually comes down to "Are we going to play this game or not?" Again, I'm not saying it's right.

Can we fix the issue? The answer is in the knowledge our umpires have and the willingness to call infractions as they see them. This may mean more intense training for umpires in the off season. It might be we need to pay them more for a better effort. Are we ready to add more to the expense column for a game of fastpitch softball? Things seldom change for the principle of it. Money talks.

Just my opinion.

Chris smith

Reaction score
My DD played a friendly this weekend. Between the games I caught the beverly bandits play their pitcher didn't throw one legal pitch the whole game. Every pitch she crow hoped. The umpires didn't call it. The other team's coaches never side a word. It drove me insane.

hammerhead20

Reaction score
Saw it last year at World's at Berliner. Ump was made aware of it. His response was that he didn't think it made a significant difference and it was at his discretion to call it. Was dumbfounded at his response. The team in question ended up winning the tournament.

Freeze Mizer

Reaction score
I’ve been seeing this issue with increased frequency. I have to wonder if this little extra “hop” is actually being taught to these players by their instructors or coaches to gain a little extra advantage.

DiamondsCoach

Reaction score
It is absolutely being taught, especially in the Pittsburgh area by more than one group. I had my daughter try both the replant and the no drag methods. Both will let her go from 54/55 mph to close to 58/59 as a 15 year old. She refuses to do it since it is cheating in her mind. There is an absolute and clear advantage to either method. If you aren’t going to change the rule to allow everyone to do it, call out those who knowing cheat just to try to get a small scholarship for 4 years. And don’t tell me it’s ok because everyone does it. Teach your kids to have respect, dignity, and honesty. The world has enough people who think it revolves around them. Proud of my daughter for refusing to cheat.

Strohbro

Reaction score
Saw it last year at World's at Berliner. Ump was made aware of it. His response was that he didn't think it made a significant difference and it was at his discretion to call it. Was dumbfounded at his response. The team in question ended up winning the tournament.

Hence the reason they are a huge part of the problem!

dannyboy

Reaction score
I noticed that if the umpire is watching the pitcher, then he is ignoring the runners leaving early. Yes I am the father of a catcher. I also noticed a field ump watching the batter prepitch.