In a typical 4GG tourney, do you prefer 3 pool & single elim or 2 pool & double elim?

First2Third

Reaction score
My general sense is that most people prefer fewer pool games and double elimination to more pool games and single elimination. Perhaps I'm wrong about this. Which do you prefer and why?

To me, it seems the greatest benefit to double elimination is that by reducing pressure to win pool games, it allows for more player development by letting coaches move girls around to different positions, pitch more pitchers, experiment with the batting order, etc., which ultimately makes the girls better players and consequently makes the team better.

BA824

Reaction score
Re: In a typical 4GG tourney, do you prefer 3 pool & single elim or 2 pool & double e

2 pool DE. No contest in my mind

Fairman

Reaction score
Re: In a typical 4GG tourney, do you prefer 3 pool & single elim or 2 pool & double e

The 5GG with single elimination allows for 4 pool games and at least one elimination game. Having 4 pool games allows those games to be scheduled well in advance permitting players to notify college coaches where they will be playing with some reliability. This is critical for any showcase tournament. This format also allows that Friday and Saturday will be pool play with Sunday devoted entirely to the elimination tournament. This format also allows parents and players to have a much better handle on their schedule permitting them to plan down-time, lunch, time off, etc... . Typically the higher seeded teams can get a bye or play later allowing the weaker teams to play each other giving them at least a chance to play multiple games on Sunday before they run into a number one seed.

Four pool games allows the coaches much more flexibility with line-ups and resting players for Sunday's run than 3 pool and then 2 elimination games. All the elimination games have to be played with your best foot forward in order to make any kind of run. Dropping into th elopers bracket can double or more the games you need to play to the championship.

The 3 pool games and double elimination means that elimination has to begin on Saturday afternoon/evening with some downtime to set the schedule (unless the field is very small). The players will not know their first elimination game until that time and second not until that first is completed; that means that not only college coaches won't be in attendance but grand-pa may miss the game too.

I think if more people actually preferred the 3/2 format you would see more tournaments featuring that particular format. There are a few but they seem to me to be an anomaly.

TheSoftballZone

Administrator
Reaction score

From all my feedback in a 4 GG, 2 pool and double elimination hands down.

wvanalmsick

Reaction score

A lot of Exposure tournaments will have higher pool games and then single elimination because you do have to fit it all into a weekend. The high number of pool games (4 or 5) is for the reason you mentioned in your post....letting more girls get into the game and get exposure and different positions.

So, it all depends on the type of tournament you are getting into.

Bink44

Reaction score

2 PP and DE

spartansd

Reaction score

If it is a Showcase then more pool and single elim.

If it is a qualifier or something I want to win. 2 pool then Double Elimination.

Reaction score
Website
WWW.OHIOBULLDAWGSELITE.COM

As a coach and TD I prefer 2 pool plus double elim. However it is quite a bit more games to schedule with double elim so it can be difficult based on the number of teams, fields, fields with lights etc. an example at the CWMT in '14 OH Glory 01 lost their first bracket game and came back and won 7 games to force the "if" game and ended up playing 11 games that weekend. That was a 17 team 12U field. This year we switched it to Gold and Silver single elim brackets. Didn't matter anyway as weather shortened the event but we plan on going back to 2 pool, double elim.Really, this isn't a shameless promotion I am just trying to offer some insight from the TD perspective on why formats are more than meet the eye.

Last edited:
Reaction score

I want as many games as possible for my girls so as many pool play games as I can get and then double elim is my prefered.

initfor51

Reaction score

I like more pool play because it makes it easier for the girls to let the colleges know where they will be and time.