Interference or Obstruction

snoman76

Reaction score
The play:

Runner on 2. Slower roller hit to SS she charges the ball R2 runs into F6 as she fields the ball, F6 stumbles, picks up ball and throws to first. In the meantime R2 rounds 3rd and goes home and crosses the plate.

The call on the field:

Obstruction on the fielder for not allowing the runner to run in the baseline therefore her run counts when she crossed the plate. Batter/runner out at first on throw.

More explanation from field umpire:

The coaches asked why interference wasn't called. Blue said "The fielder CANNOT cross the baseline to field the ball if a runner is running that line." Home plate umpire agreed and said several times that he made the right call and offered to show the rule book after the game. Coach then asked "so my fielder has to let the runner go by before she can field the ball?" Blues response "No, the runner has to go behind the fielder" Coach "EXACTLY, so the runner should have been out" Blue "No, she cant block the base line" Coach "but she was fielding the ball!" Blue "doesn't matter" :confused::confused::confused:

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
This is textbook interference. When the fielder is in the act of fielding a batted ball she 100% has the right of way. Interference in this case is an immediate dead ball, the runner is out, any other runners are returned to their last base at the time of the interference.

The explanation you got about "not crossing the base line" is so far removed from the actual rule that I can't even begin to guess what these umpires were thinking.

Last edited:

Maxdad

Reaction score
Great explanation BretMan. In this case what happens to the batter-runner? Is she out as well? If an immediate dead ball call on the interference fielding the ball, how can the out be made at 1B? Or is it umpires judgement that the batter-runner would have been thrown out at 1B if she wasn't interfered with? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
Great explanation BretMan. In this case what happens to the batter-runner? Is she out as well? If an immediate dead ball call on the interference fielding the ball, how can the out be made at 1B? Or is it umpires judgement that the batter-runner would have been thrown out at 1B if she wasn't interfered with? Thanks in advance for the clarification.

When the ball becomes dead, no further outs can be made. The batter-runner is placed on first base.

The exception is if the interference prevented a double play. For some rule sets, the umpire must judge that the interference was made with the specific intent to stop a double play from happening. For others, just the fact that a double play was possible can be enough. Generally, the second out must be imminent and there must be a reasonable expectation that it could actually be made. In this case the runner closest to home is also called out.

USAUmp1

Reaction score
I disagree with the call being textbook 100 % interference. The call is not. This is a judgement call on behalf of the umpire. Taken into consideration is the relationship of the ball to the defender and base runner to the defender. The NFHS, USA, etc, rules(s) clearly state that a defender can not block or obstruct the base runner without the ball. On the other side, the interference rule(s) states that a base runner can not impede, hinder, or confuse the defender in making a play on the ball, this can be physical and/or verbal. Also taken into consideration is the step and reach situation. In other words, if the ball is hit to the defender, she bobbles the ball, upon contact with the base runner, if the ball is not within a step and a reach of the defender. The defender is in violation of the obstruction rule. If she is within a step and a reach and a any of the above applies, the runner is in violation of the interference rule. The base runner has the right to run the bases. She does not have to stop and let the defender field the ball. She can go around her, etc. The key is, that she has to do something to cause the interference, i.e. yell, jump, etc. Also taken into consideration as I stated above, the location of the ball. Suppose the slow roller ball was 10 feet away from her or she is just standing in the baseline waiting on the ball. In my judgement, this is an obstruction. Suppose the defender F-6 is playing deep in the position, the ball is hit in her direction, the base runner crosses in front of her, however, the ball is still 10 feet away from her as the runner runs in front of her (within base path) and she bobbles the ball. In my judgement, this is not interference. The call either interference or obstruction is the judgement of the umpire. I know, clear as mud, lol.

mgardner

Reaction score
I disagree with the call being textbook 100 % interference. The call is not. This is a judgement call on behalf of the umpire. Taken into consideration is the relationship of the ball to the defender and base runner to the defender.

This is after the ball contacts the defensive player right?

The NFHS, USA, etc, rules(s) clearly state that a defender can not block or obstruct the base runner without the ball.

Unless in the act of fielding a batted ball.

On the other side, the interference rule(s) states that a base runner can not impede, hinder, or confuse the defender in making a play on the ball, this can be physical and/or verbal.

Or visual.

Also taken into consideration is the step and reach situation. In other words, if the ball is hit to the defender, she bobbles the ball, upon contact with the base runner, if the ball is not within a step and a reach of the defender. The defender is in violation of the obstruction rule.

I agree that in this case interference shouldn't be called but to call obstruction?

If she is within a step and a reach and a any of the above applies, the runner is in violation of the interference rule. The base runner has the right to run the bases. She does not have to stop and let the defender field the ball.

She does if the alternative is obstructing

She can go around her, etc. The key is, that she has to do something to cause the interference, i.e. yell, jump, etc.

Or visually impede.

I Also taken into consideration as I stated above, the location of the ball. Suppose the slow roller ball was 10 feet away from her or she is just standing in the baseline waiting on the ball. In my judgement, this is an obstruction.

I disagree. The fielder has a right to wait on the ball, to charge the ball, to take a knee to field it, whatever.

Suppose the defender F-6 is playing deep in the position, the ball is hit in her direction, the base runner crosses in front of her, however, the ball is still 10 feet away from her as the runner runs in front of her (within base path) and she bobbles the ball. In my judgement, this is not interference.

Could she have reaquired sight of the ball after the runner passed in front of her? Agreed, this a judgement call.

The call either interference or obstruction is the judgement of the umpire. I know, clear as mud, lol.

BretMan2

TSZ/OFC Umpire in Chief
Reaction score
I would like to point out (ironically, to USAump1) that USA softball does not have "a step and a reach" in their playing rules.

Going back to the original post, since that's the only description we have to go by, it does seem that this fielder was in the act of fielding a batted ball. Regardless, the explanation from the umpires at the game is a fabrication that has no real basis in the actual playing rules.