iPad app...stats program?

I have been looking for Stat Apps for my "smartphone". Lots of crappy low level apps but have not found a "Good" one yet.

A good "Blackberry" app would be awesome for coaches.

i purchased an app awhile ago. not sure if there is a newer one out therem but the one I got was not very user friendlyl

Lester, how about a review of the iPad. I have an iPhone 4 and love it. I've been trying to talk the wife into letting me get her an iPad for Christmas. She said she doesn't want one but I'm pretty sure she doesn't know what she knows she doesn't want.

unhappy-Marge.png

Lester:

I have an iTouch and an iPad. I used an app called K-force by Pointstreak last year on the iTouch. It's like doing the book but on the phone and it keeps all kinds of stats automatically. There's a free version and a paid version ($10). The paid version offers more reports and keeps stats through the entire season. The free version doesn't. It's a slick program.

I will be using the iPad version this spring (high school) and summer (travel). I'd give the reports to the coach after each game. The iPad version shows a lot more on the screen.

The reports can be a "Book" style PDF file that shows the game progression plus stats, a comma delimited text file that can be imported into any spreadsheet program, a html file as written game summary just to name a few.

It's easy to use and it's slick. The iTouch worked fine in high school because we typically only played one game at a time but my battery would only last about a game and a half (maybe two if I was lucky). The iPad battery last a lot longer so I'm expecting to be able to have it go all day in the summer.

You can download the free version and play with it. Just beware that game information (I haven't found) is not transferable between the iTouch and iPad or between the free and paid versions. It's pretty cool though.

Good luck.

One of the complaints I've read about the iPad is viewing the screen is poor in daylight. Be sure this isn't too big an issue for you before you spend any $ on an app. Also talk of overheating problems in the sunlight. No personal experience, just something I read in the reviews.

Read consumer reports this month's issue. Why we are leaning more toward the Galaxy by Samsung, instead of an Ipad.

I have the Samsung Galaxy and love it except in sunshine. Screen is almost impossible to view in the sun. :(

Read consumer reports this month's issue. Why we are leaning more toward the Galaxy by Samsung, instead of an Ipad.

Can you post a link to the product reviews? I can't find any "unbiased" reviews but I have this on my Santa list.:D

Lester, how about a review of the iPad. I have an iPhone 4 and love it. I've been trying to talk the wife into letting me get her an iPad for Christmas. She said she doesn't want one but I'm pretty sure she doesn't know what she knows she doesn't want.

only had it for 24 hours... but... it is sooo fast for the internet and apps are a breeze. Love it. Can't speak for many apps but the ones I got... are they very nice! Clean operation, intuitive, and like true technology should be. Being an engineer and using IBM/windows based operating systems for many years I'm swayed in 10 minutes to becoming an APPLE product fan. Such a trader. Graphics are smoking and even OFC looked better on that well-lit screen :cap:.

I hear the app called "iScore" is decent stats program offered by ESPN. I hope it works ok because I'm going to purchase it. Hope this thread stays alive with lots of feedback. We may pick-up another Ipad next year, the IPAD2. We'll see how the budget goes first. Would love to keep the stats on the iPad after how easy it is to use.

Which iPad did you get? 3G or Wi-Fi only? I am really on the fence about getting one. Also for the people keeping score on them, are you using this only or also keeping a paper book as well as the electronic book?

What I understand about Iscore is you get instant stats, pitch counts etc. No more coming home with the book and decyphering all the chicken scratches and entering data. Supposedly you can interface it with a standard PC (Windows XP) and back up all the data. Battery runs about 10 hours. Sounds very appealing. I would be interested to hear if there is an alternate reality.

I have an iTouch and iPad with WiFi. It suits me fine for what I use it for.

If you get the 3G, then you have to subscribe to a service for the 3G to work. That's a monthly charge. WiFi is free, you just have to find a place that has it. Most hotels and many restaurants have it.

The screen can be hard to see in the sun, polarized sunglasses make it even harder believe it or not. I used the iTouch last summer and had some minor issues but nothing that would discourage me from using it.

I'll find out this summer how the iPad works in the summer.

Guys:

Depending on which "techy" you talk to, there are pro's and cons to each tablet... I only have experience with the ipad, but here is what I have gathered over the past few weeks of research (my wife wants in on the fun, so trying to decide which way to go for her)

1. The ipad has a larger screen (something like 10" for ipad - 7 1/2" for Samsung) - Depends on what you are after, but unless you have meathooks like the guy that calls our bucket with the Rays, you can't hold the Ipad in one hand... However, if that does not bother you, the Ipad screen seems to perform better in higher light.

2. Obvioulsy they both have options for internal memory at different price points when you buy them...The big difference is that you can buy 16 gig's of the samsung and upgrade with an SD card to 64. Like most Apple gadgets, the only way to upgrade is by reaching into your back pocket and buying another model.

3. They both have options to say yes or no to 3G as an upgraded option. Personally, I think it is a waste of money - Wireless connectivity is pretty prevelant right now and "hot spots" are added what seems like every day. So if you go 3G, you do not need a wireless internet signal to connect, however you have to pay for a data plan...

4. The Samsung runs on the Droid operating system, Ipad on Apples OS (the same one as Iphone)... I will not pretend to REALLY know the difference...The basic thing I take from the difference is that you can not run Adobe Flash on the Ipad like you can on the Samsung....However, in my experience, most web-sites are fine in their "non flash" modes.

5. The samsung does have one thing (or two, depending on how you look at it) that the Ipad does not...and I can't believe they left this out. The Samsung tablet has both a front facing and rear facing digital camera....The Ipad does not have any. Now most will not use their tablet as a camera, but those that like skype, etc will probably want to either go with the Samsung, or wait until Apple releases their next version. I assume they will add the camera options then. As with the Iphone, I'm sure Apple held some things back from the 1st version of Ipad so they could create some buzz around version 2.

6. In my opinion, the biggest difference between the two is the APPS that are available for them.... As of right now, a majority of the most popular apps are built for the Ipad/Iphone....The Droid/Verizon apps are growing every day, but most believe that the Ipad will stay pretty dominant, which will keep the needle pointed in that direction on the apps side.

Overall, I am still a fan of the Ipad - It just seems to run smoother and the transitions between apps and functions are just a bit better. Please don't take this as gospel..There are plenty of other reviews on the net that lean the other way (I have been reading a bunch of them). I have more time with the ipad, but have had the opportunity to spend some time playing with the Samsung... Quite frankly, both are pretty damn cool....Looks like I'll another tablet to the Petros household this year....Not sure which one yet, but I do know this....My DD's bat had better make it through the winter, because Daddy's discretionary fund will take a hit at Christmas time :lmao:

Which iPad did you get? 3G or Wi-Fi only? I am really on the fence about getting one. Also for the people keeping score on them, are you using this only or also keeping a paper book as well as the electronic book?

Wifi version. No sense in paying for a blackberry package, 3g, and home Internet.

Is anyone planning on using it for their primary scorekeeping during the summer? or did they last summer?

I used iScore last season on the iPod Touch and then on the iPad. The iPad version is absolutely fantastic, and the iScore developers really do a great job updating that app with the features that people request.

Late last summer they introduced a color theme that made daylight visibility MUCH better. The biggest problem was using the iPad in the hot months. It overheats and shuts down pretty quickly in direct sun. We plan to use it in 2011 for scoring and stats (in conjunction with scorebook as a backup).

The app wasn't originally an ESPN app. It's just so good that ESPN picked them up. It's worth every penny.