is it too hot to play??

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
i remember playing at Stingrays when my DD was 9 yrs old... it was 104 degree in the shade.... that was about 9 years ago. IT was HOT.

when is is too hot to play?

what do you do to beat the heat and help your daughter stay cool and avoid heat strokes??

jpkeating

Reaction score
It’s even worse on turf, if it’s 90, I’ve seen it at almost 110 on the turf.
Turf fields are great if the weather is so so. But other then that I hate them

HITTER23

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Weve played at the Atlanta Legacy in July, its 105 degrees PLUS incredible Georgia humidity. The ground burned thru your shoes. Anything past 95 degrees is unbearable.

Yes, some were on turf, do telling how hot it was then.

DanMaz

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
we played last summer in Myrtle Beach at Grand park... all turf. it was in the mid 90's and the turf was melting my shoes coaching the bases. lol we ended up 9th out of 70+ teams.
hot hot hot

it helps to not drink pop or soda all week and keep plenty of water in your system days prior to play and including playing day. keep drinking water even if your not thirsty!!!

frog togs, cold wet towels, stay in shade as much as possible. eat good. lots of fruits. keep fueling up your system!

google1

Reaction score
We played at the Louisville Slugger Complex in Peoria last weekend... all turf... it was a scorcher!

Dale Brigger

Reaction score
We are supposed to be at Recruitfest this weekend at Berliner (if they don't shut Columbus down first). Not looking forward to even sitting near the turf, let alone the girls playing on it. It will be brutal for sure!

google1

Reaction score
We are supposed to be at Recruitfest this weekend at Berliner (if they don't shut Columbus down first). Not looking forward to even sitting near the turf, let alone the girls playing on it. It will be brutal for sure!

That's where we're at too. Waiting on an update after Dewines announcement today

Mad Hornet

Reaction score
Ha ha. We go to OKC in two weeks. Right now I"m seeing 7 straight days in the 100's on the forecast with zero rain. I'll take the no rain part but it's gonna take a LOT of beer to keep me cool.

Coach03

Reaction score
It's never to hot to play if this sport is your passion. just hydrate the day before give it your all. Always preach to leave it all on the field . As long as you do that win or lose you did your best. if you fail fail forward.

ALLPH0

Reaction score
While it can be miserable on the field, those players are there because they love the game. They have the option not to play. Most would rather sweat it out to give it their all.

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
I preach to my athletes drink lots of water days leading up to a HOT weekend. Eat pasta the night before a long day. (fuel the body) Something I always did when I was young and playing ball. Eat light during hot tournaments. Fruit, nuts, some protein bars. And of course drink lots of water. Frog Togs help a lot too. Stay in the shade between games. I do not like them to sit in the AC between games as I feel this makes them tired, lazy, and not energetic once they get back out in the heat.

This weekend it should be decent at Berliner. Mid 80s with a chance of stuff dropping from the sky....

PaulP

Reaction score
This goes back thirty years, but I had a college football game on turf that was almost delayed because there was formula that accounted for temperature and humidity to set a limit. Don’t know if that is still used.

Run26

Reaction score
This goes back thirty years, but I had a college football game on turf that was almost delayed because there was formula that accounted for temperature and humidity to set a limit. Don’t know if that is still used.
Yes, it’s called the Wet Bulb metric. I use it today for my Cross Country and Track athletes. It’s a measure that primarily takes what you said and provides real feel temp. If it’s high we lower the workout to fit because you are running shorter but exhorting the same energy as a long run.

daboss

Reaction score
LOL. Geez, first one doesn't stand a chance in this bunch. lol. The topic on this thread should have been "It was so hot, fill in the blanks".

Being more serious, the #1 thing you can do is acclimate yourselves to the environment. You cannot sit in A/C all week and go out into the sun and expect to tolerate the conditions without issues. Your problem with the heat will never be as great as the next guy. Most of the time it is your fault unless you have a medical condition that you cannot control. In that case, the environment will not be conducive to your health and this sport played outside in the summer is not for you. Sorry.

Turn off the A/C. Open the windows. Put you sunscreen on and go outside. Live in it daily and soon it will be a mute point. Take the necessary precautions, use common sense, and learn how to live in the elements. Hot is hot, cold is cold, but it's not a deal-breaker if you do the right things to prepare.

Farmers baled hay and straw all day, all summer, in Levi pants and a straw hat. We shared the same water jug filled with tap water to get a drink. We fought to get a drink before my dad or the hired help drank out of it first because they chewed tobacco and we didn't want to taste their spit. We ate lunch from a brown-paper bag that had sandwiches made the night before and the bag spent the morning under a tree or in the cab of a truck sitting in the sun with the windows down. We would blow the chaff off the bag and sit on a fresh bale of hay under a tree. Those that couldn't get into the shade of the tree spent lunch sitting under the wagons in an effort to get out of the sun. What a treat a breeze was if it didn't fill your eyes with dirt. At least the blow-torch hot air blowing over your body wringing in sweat made you feel better for a few fleeting moments.

See, my story is worse than yours........................

Passion4theGame

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.cincydoom.net
LOL. Geez, first one doesn't stand a chance in this bunch. lol. The topic on this thread should have been "It was so hot, fill in the blanks".

Being more serious, the #1 thing you can do is acclimate yourselves to the environment. You cannot sit in A/C all week and go out into the sun and expect to tolerate the conditions without issues. Your problem with the heat will never be as great as the next guy. Most of the time it is your fault unless you have a medical condition that you cannot control. In that case, the environment will not be conducive to your health and this sport played outside in the summer is not for you. Sorry.

Turn off the A/C. Open the windows. Put you sunscreen on and go outside. Live in it daily and soon it will be a mute point. Take the necessary precautions, use common sense, and learn how to live in the elements. Hot is hot, cold is cold, but it's not a deal-breaker if you do the right things to prepare.

Farmers baled hay and straw all day, all summer, in Levi pants and a straw hat. We shared the same water jug filled with tap water to get a drink. We fought to get a drink before my dad or the hired help drank out of it first because they chewed tobacco and we didn't want to taste their spit. We ate lunch from a brown-paper bag that had sandwiches made the night before and the bag spent the morning under a tree or in the cab of a truck sitting in the sun with the windows down. We would blow the chaff off the bag and sit on a fresh bale of hay under a tree. Those that couldn't get into the shade of the tree spent lunch sitting under the wagons in an effort to get out of the sun. What a treat a breeze was if it didn't fill your eyes with dirt. At least the blow-torch hot air blowing over your body wringing in sweat made you feel better for a few fleeting moments.

See, my story is worse than yours........................

DaBoss you should write a book. I enjoy ur stories. Reading your above post I could picture being there bailing hay and sitting around in the shade having lunch. Very enjoyable. Thank you.