JV and college aspirations

If a player makes JV her freshman year does this preclude her from serious looks later on from colleges. I'm sure DI wants four years as a varsity starter but what about DII and DIII?

If a player makes JV her freshman year does this preclude her from serious looks later on from colleges. I'm sure DI wants four years as a varsity starter but what about DII and DIII?

Nope not at all, I am fairly confident college coaches are well aware of the ins and outs of high school ball. I do know quite a few kids that played JV or Freshman ball their freshman year and went on to play some level of college ball.

No worries!

She will be fine, as there are many other things she can do such as camps,, communication with coaches, visits, summer schedule etc...

She will be fine, as there are many other things she can do such as camps,, communication with coaches, visits, summer schedule etc...

Generally speaking, HS will not have a bearing on her college aspirations. Could be a late bloomer, could be playing behind a senior D1 kid. A lot of variables. Control what you can control. She will go as far as she wants to go, with or with her high school stats.

Generally speaking, HS will not have a bearing on her college aspirations. Could be a late bloomer, could be playing behind a senior D1 kid. A lot of variables. Control what you can control. She will go as far as she wants to go, with or with our high school stats.

yup good post

HS accomplishments are wonderful experiences in themselves and look nice on a player profile on the college website. That's about as far as it goes IMO when it comes to the next level. (worth 2 cents or so) Make the most of the opportunities as they come along and all will turn out fine in the end. Most of all, enjoy the journey for what it is each step of the way.

I can't see a coach not looking at a kid just because she was on JV in 9th grade. Stay with the standard plan of getting seen and don't worry a bit about HS as it relates to college ball. Meanwhile, she should try to be the best JV player she can be.

High school is just that High school.
Most college coaches understand in many instances the best players are not playing at the level they should be in High School because of the politics involved or they are playing a position they would never see in college because they are the best pitcher or catcher. Most college coaches also understand the level of competition varies so much at the High School level it is tough to use it as any serious gauge. Not to mention the well meaning but under trained supplemental contract coaching.

Tell her to have fun and play hard regardless of the level they put her at. Her travel team, college camps/showcases and the hard work she puts into getting noticed will be the deal maker not whether she is on JV or Varsity at her HS. .

Everyone is giving good advice. Plus, I can add further evidence: Louuuuuise played JV Freshman and sophomore year, and is playing in college next year.

College coaches don't know, and don't care, about the reasons you didn't play V all four years. It's Attitude, Academics, and Ability that gets you into the next level. (Also note that there are plenty of 4-year-varsity girls who will never set foot on a college field!)

WHAT??? :eek: Your daughter wants to play in college and she didn't even make the varsity team her freshman year??? Well... just forget about her softball career, because she'll NEVER get a DI college softball scholarship!!

WHAT??? :eek: Your daughter wants to play in college and she didn't even make the varsity team her freshman year??? Well... just forget about her softball career, because she'll NEVER get a DI college softball scholarship!!

:lmao::lmao:

Sammy's trying to stir the p00p!!

Len

Don't worry about the stats in HS, worry about her grades, D1's look at those closely.
They don't want to waste their time on someone who could be academically ineligible.

In HS they just want to see you can balance school work and playing. Where the scouts really look is travel ball all summer. Tell her to have fun, learn what she can and work hard and she will be fine.

I had a girl on my team last year who played JV as a freshman, did not play travel ball at all, but still received a partial scholarship to play softball in college If you are good enough the colleges will find you.

Seriously -

My DD did not "make varsity" as a freshman. If I recall correctly, there were 2 pitchers ahead of her in the program, a junior and a senior. My DD was the youngest in her class, so she was only 13 going in to 9th grade.

The varsity coach makes roster decisions, and I would not have wanted to be in the coaches shoes explaining to a pair of junior and senior parents that a 13 yr. old was going to be sharing pitching time with their kids - YIKES! Other factors could have been maturity - or maybe she just wasn't a good enough pitcher to be on varsity at that point in time.

The bonus was that the JV coach pitched her nearly every game, so she got plenty of game pitches. This is where her change-up was perfected and the rise ball started. Had she been on varsity I doubt she would have had the opportunity to progress.

What were her stats and how many games did her JV team win? I haven't the faintest idea on either one now, but I DO remember meeting all her summer team mates/families when they played each other in high school. The wins/stats soon fade, but the memories of fun times with all the other softball folks lasts a lifetime!

Another great post by Sammy. I hope this places everything in perspective for those who think the freshmen daughter must make varsity !!!!!

Speaking from my daughter's experience, she played jv her freshman year and got to pinch run a few times at the varsity level. I noticed at that point that she had developed a love for the game, got her into travel ball that summer following her freshman year and she has developed nicely. Started every game since on varsity and will be playing college next year.

I have to say that you have no worries. I know of 4 girls who played in College:

1- pitched at Wayne State, pitched Varsity all 4 years
1- played JV Freshman year, moved up Soph year, 4 year letter winner at MSU OF
1- Pitched Fr and Soph on JV, was told she would never pitch on Varsity, ended up All-State by end of Junior year and full ride at Wayne State
1- my favorite, she played JV (pitched) both FR and Soph, I want to say she got moved up to Varsity but did not pitch Soph year(moved up mid year), pitched but was not Super Star. WALKED ON at OSU. Got cut. Asked to be team manager. Was team manager, a bunch of pitchers got hurt and they asked her to suit up. She ended up being a 4 year letter winner at OSU. That is what I called persevering. And she is one of the nicest human beings I have ever met.

The bottom line is that the ones who love the sport and are willing to work their arse off will get where they want to go IMO. Except for the girl who played at MSU none of the others were considered "STUDS". They were all just really great, smart, hard working ladies. All of them had good grades, and great attitudes. The classic "great teammate" types.

Seriously -

My DD did not "make varsity" as a freshman. If I recall correctly, there were 2 pitchers ahead of her in the program, a junior and a senior. My DD was the youngest in her class, so she was only 13 going in to 9th grade.

The varsity coach makes roster decisions, and I would not have wanted to be in the coaches shoes explaining to a pair of junior and senior parents that a 13 yr. old was going to be sharing pitching time with their kids - YIKES! Other factors could have been maturity - or maybe she just wasn't a good enough pitcher to be on varsity at that point in time.

The bonus was that the JV coach pitched her nearly every game, so she got plenty of game pitches. This is where her change-up was perfected and the rise ball started. Had she been on varsity I doubt she would have had the opportunity to progress.

What were her stats and how many games did her JV team win? I haven't the faintest idea on either one now, but I DO remember meeting all her summer team mates/families when they played each other in high school. The wins/stats soon fade, but the memories of fun times with all the other softball folks lasts a lifetime!

Sammy, very good post. However (to the HS coaches):

If your roster positions were based on avoiding parents then shame on you! A coach should never base a roster over fear or confrontation. If your policy is to roster upper classmen over the youngsters because they're older and more mature that's one thing.....I don't agree with it but if that's your policy I'll live with it. To base your roster so you can be non-confrontational.......again, SHAME ON YOU!!

Len

Len - sometimes I think it's a blend. For a HS coach to save their sanity, don't rock the boat unless you really have to. Some have stronger constitutions than others, so they have no problem playing whoever - but if you're trying to keep the peace with a blend of winning, the freshman can stand in line. I think that's called... politics. ;)