Lady Cyclones put it all together against South

ELIZABETHTON — It has been more of a rollercoaster than a hay ride on the plains for Elizabethton’s softball team this season. But on Thursday it was smooth sailing. With Lauren Brickey in charge in the circle and the hitters doing their part, Elizabethton pounded Sullivan South 10-1 in a Three Rivers Conference contest at the Lady Cyclones’ field. Improving to 5-0 in league play, Elizabethton steadied its first-place status. “It was a great game against a very good team,” said Lady Cyclones’ head coach Ken Hardin, whose team is 10-7 overall. “Our kids came to play today. They came ready, came focused, and when we do that we’re a tough team to deal with.” Brickey by Brickey Superb from start to finish, Brickey never let South feel good at the plate. She allowed seven hits but did not walk a batter and struck out 12. Complementing the circle dominance, Brickey went 3 for 4 at the plate with two RBIs. “She did a great job tonight,” said Hardin. “I’m so proud of her.” Lauren says Macie Macie Herrmann went 3 for 3 at the plate with two RBIs. “I’ve played with Macie for years now,” said Brickey. “I just love having her on my team because she’s so fast. And (defensively) I can always count on her (at shortstop) to get those little bloopers behind third. She’s going to hustle no matter what.” Macie says Lauren “I love her on the mound and I love her on second,” said Herrmann. “We’ve turned many double plays together. She’s a great teammate, and she always picks everybody up, including me when I need it.” Defensive support Sullivan South’s Laura Dade made a bid to cut into Elizabethton’s lead in the sixth inning. She hit a deep fly ball that appeared to be headed for extra bases, but Lady Cyclones’ right fielder Maggie Johnson ran it down with an impressive over-the-shoulder catch. “That catch was phenomenal,” said Hardin. Big inning Elizabethton broke the game open early. The Lady Cyclones struck for six runs in the second inning. Leadoff hitter Kira Dillard, Herrmann and Maci West each had RBI hits in the inning. Other standouts Dillard came up big with two hits and three RBIs. The Lady Cyclones had 13 hits as a team. For Sullivan South, Bryanna Teal rapped out two hits.

Continue reading...